Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Just picked up a Keith McMillen BopPad - suggestions on configuring it for iPad

Comments

• @dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:
    I haven't figured out a good way to configure the BopPad with BM3... But then again I can't find a good way to do ANYTHING in BM3 as is confuses the hell outta me. I use the BopPad primarily with iSpark of I want to play "real" drums. Beathawk if I want my classic drum machines.

Have you set Focus Actions for each quadrant? That's how I set it up. Quadrant 1 to pad 1, Quadrant 2 to pad 2, etc. For fun, I'll assign the touch modline to a macro to automate stuff.

I'll have to mess with that - I can't seem to set an individual pad to play a One-Shot sample. The continuous controller thing (pressure on the BopPad continues to play note) is screwy with BM3 and I don't know how to turn it off.

Yeah - I'll have to read up on Focus Actions to understand what they do and how to work them....

OH! I'm glad you mentioned this as it was a headache for me. The solution is to go into the BopPad editor software and turn off all CC's being sent--just send the note on data per quadrant. Then go to Focus Actions and BM3 will associate the note on with a pad (save the template). After you've got the pads set, you can go back and turn the CC data back on and then associate that with a macro (if you want).

Hmmmm - I thought I'd done that but I'll have to check again.

I long for the days when they make the BopPad web editor into an app... or allow web MIDI with iOS browsers. Having to take this to the PC is annoying...

Please go to the KMI forums and comment in the iOS app for BopPad thread there (if you haven't already).

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:
    I haven't figured out a good way to configure the BopPad with BM3... But then again I can't find a good way to do ANYTHING in BM3 as is confuses the hell outta me. I use the BopPad primarily with iSpark of I want to play "real" drums. Beathawk if I want my classic drum machines.

Have you set Focus Actions for each quadrant? That's how I set it up. Quadrant 1 to pad 1, Quadrant 2 to pad 2, etc. For fun, I'll assign the touch modline to a macro to automate stuff.

I'll have to mess with that - I can't seem to set an individual pad to play a One-Shot sample. The continuous controller thing (pressure on the BopPad continues to play note) is screwy with BM3 and I don't know how to turn it off.

Yeah - I'll have to read up on Focus Actions to understand what they do and how to work them....

OH! I'm glad you mentioned this as it was a headache for me. The solution is to go into the BopPad editor software and turn off all CC's being sent--just send the note on data per quadrant. Then go to Focus Actions and BM3 will associate the note on with a pad (save the template). After you've got the pads set, you can go back and turn the CC data back on and then associate that with a macro (if you want).

I long for the days when they make the BopPad web editor into an app... or allow web MIDI with iOS browsers. Having to take this to the PC is annoying...

Please go to the KMI forums and comment in the iOS app for BopPad thread there (if you haven't already).

I registered but am waiting for the admin to make it "official"

• @dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

B)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

B)

Where are these forums? Heh.

• @futureaztec said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

B)

Where are these forums? Heh.

Nevermind got it.

• So I posted in the KM Forum, and here's what I was told:

You can have multiple samples per pad if the app supports choosing samples via CC

I knew this but wasn't sure how to implement it in iOS. Can anyone suggest apps that support this?

• @dvlmusic said:
    So I posted in the KM Forum, and here's what I was told:

You can have multiple samples per pad if the app supports choosing samples via CC

I knew this but wasn't sure how to implement it in iOS. Can anyone suggest apps that support this?

BM3 does multiple samples per pad. There are good video tutorials on YT.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

Can you select samples via MIDI cc?

• @dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@dvlmusic said:

Can you select samples via MIDI cc?

Not that I know about. Can you specify what you are trying to accomplish? You might be able to use pad link groups and mutes?

• The BopPad arrived today and I have to say I am pretty picky when it comes to gear but I am pretty much blown away and surprised it is presently such a fringe piece of kit.

Myself I am mostly interested in parameter mapping. As seen here:

I am doing some testing in Ableton Live because it is so programmable and their is such a large knowledge base. Then I hope to transfer some of the ideas over to iPad. This is one of those times where I wish I could trial some apps to figure out the best workflow. MIDIflow could be one key, but I am hesitating to just start throwing money at things. Does anyone know why we don't have app auditioning? Makes me wonder if sales would actually rise significantly if people could try things before buying.

I found that KQDixie in Cubasis produced some intriguing results. I don't think we can do Audio Unit parameter mapping in Cubasis though or at least I don't know how yet.

• @futureaztec said:
    The BopPad arrived today and I have to say I am pretty picky when it comes to gear but I am pretty much blown away and surprised it is presently such a fringe piece of kit.

Myself I am mostly interested in parameter mapping. As seen here:

I am doing some testing in Ableton Live because it is so programmable and their is such a large knowledge base. Then I hope to transfer some of the ideas over to iPad. This is one of those times where I wish I could trial some apps to figure out the best workflow. MIDIflow could be one key, but I am hesitating to just start throwing money at things. Does anyone know why we don't have app auditioning? Makes me wonder if sales would actually rise significantly if people could try things before buying.

I found that KQDixie in Cubasis produced some intriguing results. I don't think we can do Audio Unit parameter mapping in Cubasis though or at least I don't know how yet.

It's pretty stupid how straightforward yet obviously super powerful it is. And indestructible.

• Here is an old but good example of how deep the parameter mapping can get. What is the best way to accomplish this on an iPad so that I can max out the expressivity of the BopPad?

• @futureaztec I use MidiFire and BM3. It's not quite as powerful/flexible as Ableton Live--and certainly not as seamless. But it'll get you pretty close to what you're looking for in those videos. Are you familiar with BM3?

• Are you familiar with BM3?

I have just been focusing on Cubasis because I also have a guitar and a bass. Also because if I were to buy BM3 and, say, AUM, etc, etc, it would start to add up...

• @futureaztec said:

Are you familiar with BM3?

I have just been focusing on Cubasis because I also have a guitar and a bass. Also because if I were to buy BM3 and, say, AUM, etc, etc, it would start to add up...

Yep, makes sense. I am not familiar enough with Cubasis to know what parameters can be controlled. If you watch a video on BM3 macros you'll see that you can assign MIDI CCs to a wide range of parameters in BM3.

• One limitation that is going to be addressed in the next Cubasis update is that the MIDI note recording is not "hot" enough. Fortunately Steinberg will be solving this in their next update: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=130983

How tight is the MIDI note recording for drum rolls in BM3?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@futureaztec said:

Yep, makes sense. I am not familiar enough with Cubasis to know what parameters can be controlled. If you watch a video on BM3 macros you'll see that you can assign MIDI CCs to a wide range of parameters in BM3.

Yeah this video is definitely flexing the flexibility of BM3.

• @futureaztec said:
    One limitation that is going to be addressed in the next Cubasis update is that the MIDI note recording is not "hot" enough. Fortunately Steinberg will be solving this in their next update: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=130983

How tight is the MIDI note recording for drum rolls in BM3?

I haven't tried recording drum rolls yet; I'll try to fit it in this weekend.

• @futureaztec said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@futureaztec said:

Yeah this video is definitely flexing the flexibility of BM3.

That's a good one. Try this for macros:

• Obviously the Audiobus forum is iOS focused, but I have quickly wired up some Reaktor Blocks ensembles that start to get at the potential of the BopPad interface, beyond being a simple sample trigger.

Ensembles available here, and require Reaktor of course.

I hope to do some similar work in Audulus 3 for iOS, but I have not quite learned my way around yet.

• Cubasis 2.4 now has tight MIDI input recognition for BopPad.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=130983

• Nice - that helps. I just got a stand for the BP so it's on like Rae Dawn Chong now....

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @futureaztec I use MidiFire and BM3. It's not quite as powerful/flexible as Ableton Live--and certainly not as seamless. But it'll get you pretty close to what you're looking for in those videos. Are you familiar with BM3?

I am noticing that when I go to the "midi focus actions" menu in settings in BM3 reads a midi binding of Channel 1: CC1. When I press another area on the pad for the setting for disappears and becomes Channel 1: CC1. As though all gestures on the pad are interpreted as the same message. Is this why you use midifire, or am I going about things incorrectly?

• edited March 2018

@futureaztec I use MidiFire and BM3. It's not quite as powerful/flexible as Ableton Live--and certainly not as seamless. But it'll get you pretty close to what you're looking for in those videos. Are you familiar with BM3?

I am noticing that when I go to the "midi focus actions" menu in settings in BM3 reads a midi binding of Channel 1: CC1. When I press another area on the pad for the setting for disappears and becomes Channel 1: CC1. As though all gestures on the pad are interpreted as the same message. Is this why you use midifire, or am I going about things incorrectly?

Okay, so I manned up and browsed an article that clued me in on the "auto learn" button at the bottom of the focus actions editor.

Then I locked the velocities for obvious reasons... Is there a way to set a velocity range in beatmaker or should this be a boppad editor setting?

• @futureaztec said:

Okay, so I manned up and browsed an article that clued me in on the "auto learn" button at the bottom of the focus actions editor.

Then I locked the velocities for obvious reasons... Is there a way to set a velocity range in beatmaker or should this be a boppad editor setting?

Actually, it's not obvious why you would lock velocities? It's tough to say exactly what you are looking for in BM3 without knowing what you are trying to accomplish. Reading between the lines maybe you are looking for the mapping tab in the sampler?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Actually, it's not obvious why you would lock velocities? It's tough to say exactly what you are looking for in BM3 without knowing what you are trying to accomplish. Reading between the lines maybe you are looking for the mapping tab in the sampler?

As someone else pointed out somewhere, you have to hit the pad pretty hard to get full velocity messages, and hitting it lightly is almost inaudible. But fixing the velocities looses a lot of the character. So I was hoping to tweak the range a bit.

Yes it looks like the mapping tab will do this...So impressed with BM3 so far (coming from an Ableton background).

• @futureaztec said:
    As someone else pointed out somewhere, you have to hit the pad pretty hard to get full velocity messages, and hitting it lightly is almost inaudible. But fixing the velocities looses a lot of the character. So I was hoping to tweak the range a bit.

I found the sensitivity adjustment in the BopPad editor works very well to help with this issue. In the editor software go to the bottom to "Device Settings" and click on "Preferences". At the top of the Preferences modal window there is a "Global Sensitivity" slider--move it to your liking. I use mine at about 3/4 of the total bar and it's the "sweet spot" of sensitivity with BM3.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@futureaztec said:

I found the sensitivity adjustment in the BopPad editor works very well to help with this issue. In the editor software go to the bottom to "Device Settings" and click on "Preferences". At the top of the Preferences modal window there is a "Global Sensitivity" slider--move it to your liking. I use mine at about 3/4 of the total bar and it's the "sweet spot" of sensitivity with BM3.

I'm not working in BM3 (although I probably should get over myself and just dive in already) but I have found that the sensitivity preset settings in the BopPad webapp aren't as varied as I would like - they all sound/feel fairly similar to me. I would think that between these and the settings in BM3 you should be able to get it where you want it.

• @dvlmusic said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@futureaztec said:

I'm not working in BM3 (although I probably should get over myself and just dive in already) but I have found that the sensitivity preset settings in the BopPad webapp aren't as varied as I would like - they all sound/feel fairly similar to me. I would think that between these and the settings in BM3 you should be able to get it where you want it.

Have you tried the global sensitivity slider in the Preferences? It made a huge difference for me.

• Have you tried the global sensitivity slider in the Preferences? It made a huge difference for me.

In BM3 or in the BP webapp?