Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Output in AUM

I used to think (wrongly I guess) that there was a possibility in AUM to have apps in the output. I only thought that Loopy didn’t allow it due to Audiobus vs AUM politics. I even emailed devs about this but it seems like AUM cannot have output apps (Audiobus style) unless it is itself being hosted in a DAW of sorts.

I don’t know this for sure hence this thread.

What are methods people here use to get AUM’s individual tracks recorded in apps other than Audioshare?

Thanks

P.s. another q would be to gauge people’s interest in a mixdown channel in both Audiobus and AUM? I know this can be achieved using bus routings in AUM but it would be nice to have something more straight forward like a master channel with inserts etc for mastering apps. How can this be easily done in Audiobus?

Sorry I’ll open another thread if there’s enough interest in the latter.

Comments

• I have a second though on this, I know I should sign up to the AUM forum really but perhaps someone reading this will know the answer:

Can AUM send out individual mono and stereo outputs with an interface such as Arturia Audiofuse with its many outs including its ADAT ports?

• edited January 2018

You have to use Audiobus. Just select for example AUM as input and Loopy in AB. Then choose IAA/AB output in AUM in required channel. You have 8 AUM AB outputs. This works flawlessly. If you want Loopy output in AUM, you have to load it in another AB channel in, select AUM as output, then select the matching Audiobus source in AUM. Don’t forget to do presets in Audiobus. This looks complicated, but state saving, apps switching, transport sync, AB remote and other AB features adds a lot to AUM capabilities, it’s a nice combo.

• @Calverhall said:
    I have a second though on this, I know I should sign up to the AUM forum really but perhaps someone reading this will know the answer:

Can AUM send out individual mono and stereo outputs with an interface such as Arturia Audiofuse with its many outs including its ADAT ports?

Yes, you can route channels, busses to outputs of your multichannel audio interface. Mono and stereo as well.

• @supadom said:
    I used to think (wrongly I guess) that there was a possibility in AUM to have apps in the output. I only thought that Loopy didn’t allow it due to Audiobus vs AUM politics. I even emailed devs about this but it seems like AUM cannot have output apps (Audiobus style) unless it is itself being hosted in a DAW of sorts.

What are methods people here use to get AUM’s individual tracks recorded in apps other than Audioshare?

Thanks

P.s. another q would be to gauge people’s interest in a mixdown channel in both Audiobus and AUM? I know this can be achieved using bus routings in AUM but it would be nice to have something more straight forward like a master channel with inserts etc for mastering apps. How can this be easily done in Audiobus?

Inter-App Audio has no concept of "output apps", only hosts and nodes. When you put Loopy in the output slot in Audiobus3, it's actually Loopy that are hosting Audiobus. (In Audiobus2 it was hosting the input app directly).
    So technically, this is exactly the same thing that happens when you host AUM in Cubasis, for example. It only looks different for the user.

• @Janosax said:
    You have to use Audiobus. Just select for example AUM as input and Loopy in AB. Then choose IAA/AB output in AUM in required channel. You have 8 AUM AB outputs. This works flawlessly. If you want Loopy output in AUM, you have to load it in another AB channel in, select AUM as output, then select the matching Audiobus source in AUM. Don’t forget to do presets in Audiobus. This looks complicated, but state saving, apps switching, transport sync, AB remote and other AB features adds a lot to AUM capabilities, it’s a nice combo.

Yes, this is what I’m doing at the moment but would like to only use one routing app instead of 2 for simplicity’s sake.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

Thanks

Inter-App Audio has no concept of "output apps", only hosts and nodes. When you put Loopy in the output slot in Audiobus3, it's actually Loopy that are hosting Audiobus. (In Audiobus2 it was hosting the input app directly).
    So technically, this is exactly the same thing that happens when you host AUM in Cubasis, for example. It only looks different for the user.

I thought as much just wanted to confirm it. Do you think a main mix channel in AUM would be an overkill?

• @Calverhall said:
    I have a second though on this, I know I should sign up to the AUM forum really but perhaps someone reading this will know the answer:

Not sure about ADAT but definitely to regular audio outs.

• @supadom said:

@Calverhall said:

Not sure about ADAT but definitely to regular audio outs.

Should work as lond as you have A/D for ins and D/A for outs.
    I'm using my RME babyface with Focusrite Octopre mk2 Dynamic or Fostex VC-8 for additional ins and outs, also tried my Focusrite 18i20 with them and all worked well.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

Thanks

Just out of curiosity can this work in theory with AUs? Like e.g. Beathawk which has input to sample, could be used as output node?

• @recccp Any app that has the ability to host an IAA app can host AUM, or receive its output.

I thought I had a video explaining this or maybe I went over it in my AUM vs Audiobus video, they all start to run together after a while. I am downloading Beathawk to see if its possible, not sure if it can host IAA or not.

• @recccp it appears that Beathawk can only sample based on built in mic or via your own audio interface. Now if you have an iConnectAudio4+ or similar device, you can easily do a loopback and record whatever you want into beathawk or other app that may or may not support IAA or AB as an input.

• Yeah, I'm aware of that. Beathawk can not be a host I think.
    I'm simply curious if a sampler can be an AU. But on a second thought I'm not sure, or it has to be AUfx since AUs rely on the host which sorts out the communication with audio interface.

• @supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

Thanks

I thought as much just wanted to confirm it. Do you think a main mix channel in AUM would be an overkill?

I see no need for a special mix bus. Just use Bus A or whatever you like as a master bus!

• @recccp said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

Thanks

Just out of curiosity can this work in theory with AUs? Like e.g. Beathawk which has input to sample, could be used as output node?

A better way for an AU to grab input is to simply define itself as an effect plugin. Effects have inputs and outputs.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@supadom said:

Thanks

I see no need for a special mix bus. Just use Bus A or whatever you like as a master bus!

Fair point. AUM is super flexible.