Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeoShred Jordan Rudess Performance NAMM 2018 (VIDEO)

I got the chance to meet one of my musical idols at NAMM 2018 Jordan Rudess. Jordan was there showing off his IOS app GeoShred.

Comments

• I have seen some criticism of having a diatonic playing surface in there, but here is the master using it, and we know he doesn’t really need it but he’s using it anyway. That’s proof enough for me.

• Hes fingers are so damn fast

• @PhilW said:
    I have seen some criticism of having a diatonic playing surface in there, but here is the master using it, and we know he doesn’t really need it but he’s using it anyway. That’s proof enough for me.

The diatonic playing surface to me is of limited use, but sometimes useful. If a set part is strictly diatonic, you can get a wider range of notes on the screen by eliminating unused pitches. Also, I'm super clumsy with a virtual linear keyboard, so if no other controller is available, I can use any help I can get.

If this demo was instead a normal musical performance, I think Rudess would be limiting himself unnecessarily. I can't imagine a time when improvising where I'd want to restrict myself like that. He might just be demonstrating the diatonic feature. He talks about GeoShred as being designed for both pros and also opening up musical expression for people who've never really played music before. A diatonic surface keeps even a non-musician in key, but at the same time prevents a musician from chromaticism (passing tones, grace notes. etc.) or intentionally going out of key. It can also lead to static, melodically and harmonically boring music if other musical aspects aren't providing the compelling dynamic.

• @lovadamusic said:

@PhilW said:
    I have seen some criticism of having a diatonic playing surface in there, but here is the master using it, and we know he doesn’t really need it but he’s using it anyway. That’s proof enough for me.

The diatonic playing surface to me is of limited use, but sometimes useful. If a set part is strictly diatonic, you can get a wider range of notes on the screen by eliminating unused pitches. Also, I'm super clumsy with a virtual linear keyboard, so if no other controller is available, I can use any help I can get.

If this demo was instead a normal musical performance, I think Rudess would be limiting himself unnecessarily. I can't imagine a time when improvising where I'd want to restrict myself like that. He might just be demonstrating the diatonic feature. He talks about GeoShred as being designed for both pros and also opening up musical expression for people who've never really played music before. A diatonic surface keeps even a non-musician in key, but at the same time prevents a musician from chromaticism (passing tones, grace notes. etc.) or intentionally going out of key. It can also lead to static, melodically and harmonically boring music if other musical aspects aren't providing the compelling dynamic.

Your not Jordan Rudess

• The dude showing you what you can do with an ipad and creativity

• Who the hell is humming over that!? haha

• @Shazamm said:

@lovadamusic said:

@PhilW said:

Your not Jordan Rudess

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Bach made pretty good use of a “diatonic suracw”. That was before Gadget, of course.

• Geoshred is also a midi controller

• @Shazamm said:

@lovadamusic said:

@PhilW said:

Your not Jordan Rudess

I’m confused. Were you making some kind of point? After a rather carefully thought out post on the pros and cons of a diatonic playing surface, you pretty much responded with, “Your momma.”

• Wow this is so amazing!
    Gonna dedicate time to really learn this app and how to properly use it to its max power.

• @rickwaugh said:

@Shazamm said:

@lovadamusic said:

@PhilW said:

Your not Jordan Rudess

I’m confused. Were you making some kind of point? After a rather carefully thought out post on the pros and cons of a diatonic playing surface, you pretty much responded with, “Your momma.”

Thank you. Maybe my comment was seen as some kind of criticism of Jordan Rudess? Communication online can be a challenge.

• Geoshred is also a midi controller > @rickwaugh said:

@Shazamm said:

@lovadamusic said:

@PhilW said:

Your not Jordan Rudess

If this demo was instead a normal musical performance, I think Rudess would be limiting himself unnecessarily.
    My replay was your not Rudess so you dont know if he strives off the limitation. Me saying your not him was simply saying you dont know because your not him. Limitation can bring out the best or the worst in people. So take it as you wish If I wanted to be rude or disrespectful I would have chose mean words lol

• You can set the keyscale to whatever you want

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This guy is the definition of keyboard synth shredder.

for those who didn’t like the vid:
    1. You clicked on a Jordan Rudess video, what did you expect?? :p
    2. If Jordan weren’t obsessed with shredding, we wouldn’t have Geoshred.
    3. Post us a better video of GeoShred showing it’s capacity to be musical and impressive.

For Shazaam: sweet! incredible you got to meet Rudess and see him do his thing. I’m not loving the new long intro/outro clips on your vids but keep up the great posts.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Bach made pretty good use of a “diatonic suracw”. That was before Gadget, of course.

Bach played a diatonic instrument? Which one?

• Wow!!!! Thanks so much for this thread, me and GeoShred are finally clicking! For some weird reason while playing the Shred Electric Preset, in diatonic mode, it all became clear! Like how when you play the D chord on a regular guitar, I did the same on GEOSHRED! and it just clicked!! OMG! This thing is a beast!

• I just wish the sound engine would have more bite.
    It‘s too synthetic and to tame mostly. But as midi controller it‘s interesting.

• Just tweak the preset and effects! I’m amazed how real the leads sound and when you add wag and other stuff it’s impressive! Oh man, I just had the most amazing lunch hour with GeoShred. Didn’t even eat. :D

@Cib said:
    I just wish the sound engine would have more bite.

• Maybe I can share my preset but don’t know how yet.

• What really struck me on this video was the level of muscle memory e has playing on glass. As I'm sure most of the strings, keys and skins players here can relate to are the hands (and feet) knowing where they are - and while Jordan does have keep his eyes on the glass, he's got the intervals totally down. Impressive and encouraging!

And to @lovadamusic 's comment - I'd agree having the chromatic range is best; but what I took away from what Jordan was explaining was that even in "easy" diatonic mode the full range of the bend/slides was there, whether in slide or guitar mode. Pretty cool feature, and well shredded in this blues scale example I think.

• @Cib said:

It's got plenty to offer, but most of the presets don't do it justice. You need to be willing to go deep into the menus. I also find that it doesn't really come alive unless I play with the mod controls at the top. Simply playing the notes alone is boring.

• Yes I agree. Also, GeoShred totally rocks and I’m really enjoying the diatonic mode. Makes it super fun now for me. I realized I was trying to learn it on the iPhone SE, no, must learn it on iPad.

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Cib said:

It's got plenty to offer, but most of the presets don't do it justice. You need to be willing to go deep into the menus. I also find that it doesn't really come alive unless I play with the mod controls at the top. Simply playing the notes alone is boring.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yes I agree. Also, GeoShred totally rocks and I’m really enjoying the diatonic mode. Makes it super fun now for me. I realized I was trying to learn it on the iPhone SE, no, must learn it on iPad.

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Cib said:

The app is so much more than the video showed

• edited February 2018
  • I realized that some presets are monophonic and you need to go to settings or edit fx and change to Polyphonic and to guitar to hear the frets sound as you slide your finger. I might get around to doing a short video of this. I think this is what was turning me off from playing it more.

• edited February 2018

@Max23 said:

@Hmtx said: Post us a better video of GeoShred showing it’s capacity to be musical and impressive.

cough
    who cares about the monophonic meow he does with geoshred? >:)
    this is how to be musical expressive, good morning

That Amazon Layers patch is nice. I just realized that i used Equator not for months. Should revisit it more.
    But with modern software you can play any instrument in MPE style anyway :)
    I even prefer it these days because i want my FX polyphonic too.

• edited February 2018

I saw Dream Theater live earlier this year and he was playing Geoshred onstage using something like this, but it was holding an iPad pro instead of the keyboard:

• edited February 2018