Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you like Nils Frahm?

edited January 2018 in Other

If so this is a (not that) great video, I posted when at 2 minutes in. Some interesting stuff about the digital world and like many talented musicians it's surprising to hear he seems to be quite insecure about his talent.

https://crackmagazine.net/article/shows/nils-frahm-at-funkhaus-berlin/

Comments

• Yes I do. I think he’s a brilliant musician. But the production quality of his albums is a major turnoff for me. Sometimes you can barely hear the music through the excessive noise of the recording.

• edited January 2018

This is one of my favourite performance videos of all time. The one I linked above wasn't as interesting as I thought, could have been 2 minutes long without the gaps. Also I'm torn between admiring that he seems so in the zone he hasn't noticed his cigarette has gone out and wanting to reach into the screen to take it off him! If he falls on hard times and needs to sell equipment the "always used in smoke free studio" won't work now :)

I think people should watch this one instead.

• I haven't listened to too much of his catalog @brambos
    Maybe I picked the better produced ones by happy accident!

• Not sure. Will report back pending exposure.

• edited January 2018

The second video is a better one @CracklePot
    Takes a few minutes to build up so would advise to watch the full song!

• saw him at the round house in london year or 2 back. it's was a really great gig. lovely heavy bass fluttering up my trouser legs! check out spaces album. the production on that album seems pretty good to me- i'm no expert on such things tho. going to vienna in a couple of month to see him there. i'd really like to hear a full collaboration with him and jon hopkins

• Yes, anf olafur arnalds pretty good also

• @mrcanister Spaces and a few EPs are what I have heard from him, haven't checked the new one yet (All Melody) but have heard good reports

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Yes, anf olafur arnalds pretty good also

Very soothing stuff, often fall asleep to an Olafur Arnalds playlist on shuffle

• i haven't either. will do tho.
    if you like a sad one, listen to...

that mournful cello with the piano melody- tragic
    the film is interesting too

• jon hopkins nils frahm jam :)

love to hear more from them both together
    jon hopkins hopefully will be releasing something soon

• I almost went to see Victoria in the cinema, hadn't thought about it since.
    That song is really nice, must look for the film later.

Thanks for posting @mrcanister

• If you like Arnalds, Frahm and Einaudi you should definitely also check out stuff from Ben Lukas Boysen. Almost every artist on that Erased Tapes label is interesting.

• Totally agree on Erased Tapes @brambos
    I like how all the artists seem to focus heavily on melodies even though they have different styles

• erased tapes have a lot of good stuff. just listened to Ben Lukas Boysen - Golden Times. i love melancholic piano.
    river consoles on erased tapes is the best electronic music i've heard in years. full of analogue juiciness

• I like Erased Tapes stuff too. I'm not had much chance to get into Nils Frahm though.
    I'm a friend of Rival Consoles and enjoy hanging out with him although he's always on tour so not often these days :D

• @Carnbot said:
    I'm a friend of Rival Consoles and enjoy hanging out with him although he's always on tour so not often these days :D

really! his stuff is really good. haven't got his latest release but sonne and howl are classics for me. compliments to the chef, dark and rhythmical- lovely.

• DCJDCJ
    edited January 2018

Love Nils. Oddly enough my personal favorite is the soundtrack for Victoria even though I’ve never seen the movie. It’s really a beautiful piece of work all on its own.

• edited January 2018

I really like Unter - Tristana - Ambre off Spaces. 11 minutes of lovely. Often swim with it/to it. Perfect sunset and wet music.

• @mrcanister said:

@Carnbot said:

really! his stuff is really good. haven't got his latest release but sonne and howl are classics for me. compliments to the chef, dark and rhythmical- lovely.

Yes :) I've tried to convince him iOS music is worth looking into but I don't think he's found it necessary so far with his stuff as he's mainly analog, but uses samples too. Think he's recently got a Matrix Brute.

• Going to see him in March, and I can't wait. Funnily enough, just before I came here and saw this thread I was watching

His performance at Montreux is one of my favorites though:

• That first video is amazing, thanks for sharing @Tarekith
    He is going on my list of artists I need to see live at least once

Tom Waits and Joanna Newsom have been on that list for a while, Nils should be easier to catch!

• @brambos said:
    If you like Arnalds, Frahm and Einaudi you should definitely also check out stuff from Ben Lukas Boysen. Almost every artist on that Erased Tapes label is interesting.

Thanks will check him out. Frahm, Arnalds are a real inspiration as is Arve Henriksen and throw in Jan Bang.

Just downloaded the latest Frahm album, All Melody - perhaps too early to tell but not as good as 7fingers with Anne Müller. To play or listen, that is the question.

• @Carnbot
    Matrix Brute looks chunky. will always be well out of my budget. think i can hear some guitar on 1 or 2 his tracks. could just be my lugs.
    talking of samples, can ask you a question? again! is it possible to sequence beathawk chromatically on multiple channels simultaneously with something like modstep? or do you have to have the keyboard screen selected in BH for it to play that pad chromatically? seems like it might be that way from the vids i've watched

• going to see him at the barbican next month :)
    further viewing: a companion piece (kind of) to the crack mag feature:

• @mrcanister said:
    @Carnbot
    Matrix Brute looks chunky. will always be well out of my budget. think i can hear some guitar on 1 or 2 his tracks. could just be my lugs.

Yeah he does play guitar too :)

talking of samples, can ask you a question? again! is it possible to sequence beathawk chromatically on multiple channels simultaneously with something like modstep? or do you have to have the keyboard screen selected in BH for it to play that pad chromatically? seems like it might be that way from the vids i've watched

Not something I've done yet, but should be able to with the BH Audio unit in AUM anyway, in theory :)

• I’ve always liked his solo piano stuff; Screws was the first one I heard. Wasn’t aware of the record label and the other ones on it, so thanks for the suggestions.

• @brambos said:
    Yes I do. I think he’s a brilliant musician. But the production quality of his albums is a major turnoff for me. Sometimes you can barely hear the music through the excessive noise of the recording.

I definitely agree with the quality, it’s a turnoff.
    I hadn’t heard about this guy before.
    The double keyboard has setup reminded me at first about the late Rick van der Linden, Ekseption. He was a killer keyboardplayer. Should have lived now :(
    But I will listen to more of this guy. Maybe he gets the production right one day.
    To his credit, and a GREAT credit it is... he changes chords, indeed interesting cadences.
    Too many are tinkering with just one endless chord, calling it a groove, and I have to admit I’m a bit of a tinkerer myself, but but...
    I get it that it’s dance and cool and stuff, but it’s music that’s lost in the moment. Lasting music have at least recognisable form and structure.
    Like Ekseption - Beggar Julia’s Time Trip. :smiley:

• Sounds like Klaus Schulze. Good, but I think I’ll stick with the original.