Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do I become more well read and junk

edited January 2018 in Other

I don't know what kind of material or who to start with. I still wanna have time for music. And i don't have much time. My goal is to eventually be able to express my observations of the world and people around me more poetically.

Comments

• You will get many suggestions that will be well meaning but will likely not hit the mark without understanding what you have read previously that you like or admire. Tis better to build from a foundation than start with the second floor. So, what have you read in the past that has struck you?

• I've read absolutely nothing. Seriously.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    I've read absolutely nothing. Seriously.

Fair enough. Give us some insight though. Who do you admire? What films do you like? What country would you like to go to? What is your favorite century? What culture (other than your own) interests you?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Don't read. They are other people's ideas. Form your own.
    (And don't take people's advice ;) )

• edited January 2018

Read Madame Bovary, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Dubliners, and du Maupassant's short stories for a start.
    The Old Testament (KJV) is filled with lots of violence, irony, cruelty, and depravity. Also, there are so many allusions to it in so much Western Lit.

• edited January 2018

Audiobooks are amazing!

I get through about 60-100 books a year now, during most of this time I am doing other stuff (walking the dog, sitting on a bus, cleaning the house, waiting for sleep to arrive)

You can get a free audible 30 day trial (1 book) and when you cancel, fill in "I can't afford the service", you will most likely get a crazy offer like 3 more months at 99 cents per month. This is a good way to see if you like the idea.

I almost don't pirate anything now apart from iTunes formatted audiobooks.

I'm also reading and rereading "Designing Sound" by Andy Farnell, a great book for people who have already read a lot of things and want something chunky and deep, it's expensive but most definitely worth the money. I got it last year and find myself picking it up often still.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9572760-designing-sound

• I also agree with @soundshaper that podcasts can be great, takes a bit of time to find the good ones but they are very convenient.

• @JohnnyGoodyear asked a great question, "What films do you like?"
    If you can answer this one you will get some good advice I'm sure.

• @Redo1 said:
    Don't read. They are other people's ideas. Form your own.

Then run for president.

Maybe start by reading a general history book. Take everything you read with a pinch of salt. It should lead you to things that interest you.

• edited January 2018

@JeffChasteen said:
    Read Madame Bovary, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Dubliners, and du Maupassant's short stories for a start.
    The Old Testament (KJV) is filled with lots of violence, irony, cruelty, and depravity. Also, there are so many allusions to it in so much Western Lit.

Great books all, but (let's talk about him behind his back!) if I've read nothing, but wish to, it seems that the most valuable thing from the getgo is to read some stuff (any stuff!) that grabs me by the balls or heart and makes me hungry to read for pleasure, as much as for learning, wisdom, culture etc. Joyce isn't going anywhere, he'll wait :)

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Blipsford_Baubie If you can name even one film or even a tv show that you really enjoy, you will have an audiobook that is likely to be a good start on this path in the very near future.

As @JohnnyGoodyear already mentioned, almost any book will help expand your horizons and vocabulary.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

Great books all, but (let's talk about him behind his back!) if I've read nothing, but wish to, it seems that the most valuable thing from the getgo is to read some stuff (any stuff!) that grabs me by the balls or heart and makes me hungry to read for pleasure, as much as for learning, wisdom, culture etc. Joyce isn't going anywhere, he'll wait :)

That's why I picked those rather than some other favorites that are more "esoteric" or "difficult"
    They are all very strong on character, narrative, and the human condition. Though, he may have an inclination to place his head in the oven after finishing the Selby...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

Fair enough. Give us some insight though. Who do you admire? What films do you like? What country would you like to go to? What is your favorite century? What culture (other than your own) interests you?

I admire Reggie Watts. Aside from his musical chops, I'm drawn to the stand up comics' perspective. But Reggie Watts sometimes goes on these esoterically philosophical rants that have this silly ending, as if to say "I'm intelligent, but I don't take myself seriously".

As for films, i love "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". "The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus". "Bar Fly". "Permanent Midnight ". "Fight Club." "Falling Down".

I would like to visit France. I like the 20th century.

Culture not of my own? European.

• edited January 2018
  • If you like Walter Mitty, check out Thurber's story collection.
    Obviously Bukowki's novels and short stories if you like Barfly.
    Fight Club's Chuck Palahniuk has written several novels.
    Permanent Midnight? Maybe some ALF scripts?

• @Max23 said:

oh my,
    this is so deep Im not sure I understand half of it :D

If you understand half then you’re 1/2 ahead of me. That piece is a challenge to get through!

• You sir are a very naughty boy :)

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

I admire Reggie Watts. Aside from his musical chops, I'm drawn to the stand up comics' perspective. But Reggie Watts sometimes goes on these esoterically philosophical rants that have this silly ending, as if to say "I'm intelligent, but I don't take myself seriously".

As for films, i love "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". "The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus". "Bar Fly". "Permanent Midnight ". "Fight Club." "Falling Down".

I would like to visit France. I like the 20th century.

Culture not of my own? European.

Excellent answers there and much meat on the bone. Come on Forum People, have it!

• @JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

That's why I picked those rather than some other favorites that are more "esoteric" or "difficult"
    They are all very strong on character, narrative, and the human condition. Though, he may have an inclination to place his head in the oven after finishing the Selby...

:) I find the Selby the most relatable by far....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

You sir are a very naughty boy :)

o:) A buffet of extremes is likely (possibly?) a great place to jump in.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

Unfortunately, so do I.
    However, one thing that has always struck me about Bovary is that I can see aspects of myself in EVERY character in the book. I guess that's why he's Flaubert...

• Focus on reading what interests you most, boredom shuts the brain down. Enthusiasm will keep you going and the result will be new lenses of awareness that will begin reflecting more poetry in life.

For me, Henry Miller is a guilty pleasure and he might be a good introduction if you want to see the beautiful ordinary. There are so many good works of fiction I wouldn’t know where to begin...

Read some of the best essays since the advent of books, for free: https://archive.org/details/WBE_Brewer and see we are all still monkey’s psychologically, but we have these cool glass devices to tap on :#

• edited January 2018
  • @JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

Unfortunately, so do I.
    However, one thing that has always struck me about Bovary is that I can see aspects of myself in EVERY character in the book. I guess that's why he's Flaubert...

...and we but his parrot, Geoffrey.

• @bounce said:
    Focus on reading what interests you most, boredom shuts the brain down. Enthusiasm will keep you going and the result will be new lenses of awareness that will begin reflecting more poetry in life.

For me, Henry Miller is a guilty pleasure and he might be a good introduction if you want to see the beautiful ordinary. There are so many good works of fiction I wouldn’t know where to begin...

Read some of the best essays since the advent of books, for free: https://archive.org/details/WBE_Brewer and see we are all still monkey’s psychologically, but we have these cool glass devices to tap on :#

Miller is a really good shout.

• edited January 2018

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

Here's a podcast that I think you will really enjoy
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-ubk-happy-funtime-hour/id870654646?mt=2

I would start at the start (episode 46 is the earliest one up) as they often refer back to previous episodes but you can work backwards also. Educational, funny and often philosophical, you can win a plugin if you ask a question they enjoy.

Check your inbox tomorrow, there will be a surprise waiting