Send MIDI into GarageBand iOS app from another app

Do we need Midiflow to send MIDI from GeoShred and other apps into GarageBand or will Audiobus 3 alone is enough to send MIDI into GB? I mean to record MIDI from another app into GB - not audio.

TIA

Comments

  • Also, if I need to buy Midiflow, is it the Midiflow app or "Midiflow for Audiobus 3" app?

  • Garageband realizes any Midi-data that‘s currently being sent on the device, you don‘t need any other App. The downside to this is, ALL channels are being received inside Garageband. If your Midisender has channel-control (enable/disable channels), that‘s the only way to have only some (or only one) Midichannel play in GB. Midiflow also doesn‘t help this, because GB doesn‘t show up as a destination... . Gestrument for example gives you the option of NOT sending on channels and works nicely with GB.
    Cheers, t

  • @animal said:
    Gestrument for example gives you the option of NOT sending on channels and works nicely with GB.
    Cheers, t

    Great tip .. did not think about gestrument

  • edited January 27

    @powerobject said:
    Also, if I need to buy Midiflow, is it the Midiflow app or "Midiflow for Audiobus 3" app?

    The Midiflow app. Midiflow for AB3 isn't actually an app; it's a bundle of selected plugins for AB3 users which replicate or extend the functionality of the app, but only in AB3, which you don't need for the all-in-one app. (But Tobias is right that it's not going to help with GB.)

  • edited January 28

    I have Audiobus 2 that can only record Audio in the host/destination app and not MIDI. IAA records as audio too and not as MIDI. Only Audio Units record as MIDI. So, the new Audiobus 3 alone with MIDI support is not going to be enough and I need a bridging app like the Midiflow?

    Still not clear with Audiobus 3's new MIDI support feature and what it does if it cannot connect 2 apps and if it adds any value to upgrade. The Midiflow videos do not show the standalone Midiflow app and Audiobus 3 working together and I thought that's because AB 3 with MIDI support does it all (they show only the "Midiflow for AB bundle of apps" and Audiobus 3 working together).

    Just found this video on how to connect GeoShred and GarageBand using Midiflow without AB:

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=kGhPmUhZTPc

  • @powerobject said:
    Do we need Midiflow to send MIDI from GeoShred and other apps into GarageBand or will Audiobus 3 alone is enough to send MIDI into GB? I mean to record MIDI from another app into GB - not audio.

    TIA

    Hello , i can confirm that Midiflow standalone app works perfectly with Garageband and geoshred.

    Infact there is even a garageband preset on geoshred

  • edited January 29

    What is the purpose of Audiobus 3's new MIDI support feature they are boasting of? Can it record MIDI in the host app like Midiflow does? If AB 3 can do this, I would rather upgrade to AB 3 instead of buying Midiflow. Not sure why AB team is not responding to this simple question.

  • Hi @powerobject! I'll let Jakob take this one:

    AB 3 MIDI is all about routing MIDI from one place to another, like AB 2 does for audio. For apps that go in the audio output slot, like GarageBand, AB 3 MIDI needs to be supported by the app in question; here's a list of apps that do that. Right now, GarageBand isn't one of them, though - that's something the GarageBand team need to do.

    So to answer your question: until GarageBand supports AB 3 MIDI, AB 3's not going to help you in this particular endeavour.

  • When controlling GB with GeoShred, is there a way to disable the volume swells when moving the finger on the x axis within a fret? I’m using GeoShred to control GarageBand’s piano, and so any kind of aftertouch expression is unwanted. But I can’t find a place in GS to disable the x axis volume expression. I already have GS set to Piano articulation and Poly play mode. Pitch bends are disabled but not aftertouch volume. I’m getting a chaos of volume fluctuations depending on whether my finger moves slightly on the fret.

  • edited March 21

    Midiflow adapter for AB3 also works and isn’t expensive. All you have to do is choosing your app of choice in AB3 midi in and midiflow adapter in AB3 midi out. Works perfectly.
    Midiflow adapter also works inside AUM with midi routing for apps that are not AB3 compatible.

  • @JonLewis said:
    When controlling GB with GeoShred, is there a way to disable the volume swells when moving the finger on the x axis within a fret? I’m using GeoShred to control GarageBand’s piano, and so any kind of aftertouch expression is unwanted. But I can’t find a place in GS to disable the x axis volume expression. I already have GS set to Piano articulation and Poly play mode. Pitch bends are disabled but not aftertouch volume. I’m getting a chaos of volume fluctuations depending on whether my finger moves slightly on the fret.

    Settings > Disable Key Y Touch might do it.

  • That does do it, thanks. Regrettably, I lose the vertical axis = velocity in the bargain, which IS really good for piano. But that can be adjusted per note in GB anyway.

Sign In or Register to comment.