Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Waldorf Quantum

I was under the impression that this was going to an expanded Nave in hardware form.
Turns out I was wrong, very wrong indeed, this thing looks amazing!

I doubt that I could ever afford to own one but it's great to see some new standalone hardware that is truly innovative, take a look here

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2018/01/25/namm-2018-waldorf-quantum-updates/

Comments

• I am scared to look! :#

• Wow.. That is some KRAZY stuff... Thanks for posting...

• @CracklePot said:
    I am scared to look! :#

I'm thinking about buying a lottery ticket, robbing a bank, selling both kidneys and various means and methods. Maybe we could gather twelve people here and use it for a month each year, I will definitely post it on after 4 weeks!

As is often the case with these demos, the sounds aren't as impressive as they could be.

• Ok. I watched it. Really expensive, but most likely worth the money if you can afford it. Amazing, state-of-the-art demo of modern synth tech.

• @CracklePot said:
    Ok. I watched it. Really expensive, but most likely worth the money if you can afford it. Amazing, state-of-the-art demo of modern synth tech.

I used to have a blofeld keyboard version, best keybed I ever touched and the build quality was superb. The Quantum is no doubt similarly built to last and I'm sure this factors into the price point.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@CracklePot said:
    Ok. I watched it. Really expensive, but most likely worth the money if you can afford it. Amazing, state-of-the-art demo of modern synth tech.

I used to have a blofeld keyboard version, best keybed I ever touched and the build quality was superb. The Quantum is no doubt similarly built to last and I'm sure this factors into the price point.

Yeah that thing looked pretty solid. And well designed. And I love the built-in iPad! ;)

• Thinking about this a bit more I realised that pretty much everything this can do is already possible with a handful of apps I already own and my monotron delay has a nasty little analog filter. I may keep the kidneys after all!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Thinking about this a bit more I realised that pretty much everything this can do is already possible with a handful of apps I already own and my monotron delay has a nasty little analog filter. I may keep the kidneys after all!

If only we could just transplant our iPads straight into one lol

• edited January 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Thinking about this a bit more I realised that pretty much everything this can do is already possible with a handful of apps I already own and my monotron delay has a nasty little analog filter. I may keep the kidneys after all!

Hmm that is a really good idea!

Waldorf have done a Pulse plus, I can imagine a Quantum minus would be possible and way less expensive.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Waldorf have done a Pulse plus, I can imagine a Quantum minus would be possible and way less expensive.

Yeah those great PPG apps put through some modular action - now why don’t Apple make iPads with CV / Gate ins and outs!

• edited January 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah those great PPG apps put through some modular action - now why don’t Apple make iPads with CV / Gate ins and outs!

The PPG apps were among the handful, Samplr or iDensity for the granular stuff, ZedSynth for the physical modelling, Filterstation 2 for the dual filters and I'm just going to say BeatHawk for the multisamples. There could be a blank space similar to itrack dock for slotting in iPads of different sizes.

Edit: Nave was a given but should be mentioned for anyone who is unfamiliar with it!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

The PPG apps were among the handful, Samplr or iDensity for the granular stuff, ZedSynth for the physical modelling, Filterstation 2 for the dual filters and I'm just going to say BeatHawk for the multisamples.

Yeah iPad makes a great synth, if only someone would bring out a real quality keyboard controller for it to fit in and have multi control templates for the main apps.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

The PPG apps were among the handful, Samplr or iDensity for the granular stuff, ZedSynth for the physical modelling, Filterstation 2 for the dual filters and I'm just going to say BeatHawk for the multisamples.

Yeah iPad makes a great synth, if only someone would bring out a real quality keyboard controller for it to fit in and have multi control templates for the main apps.

I'm sure some manufacturers have considered this but people are using iOS in so many different ways it would be extremely difficult to please everyone.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    I need to marry someone rich, lol.
    Rolf urgently needs a new haircut.

If had one of these I wouldn't be leaving the house til sometime next year!
    I'm curious about the Korg/Waldorf alliance.
    I know they said it's just for US distribution but Waldorfs innovation combined with Korgs hefty bank account could be an amazing combination..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2018

Actually I remember reading a thread somewhere not too long that Waldorf customers in America were saving huge amounts by ordering from Juno.co.uk. So you're probably right on this @Max23

I'm not sure why but I get the feeling Waldorf are held back a little by not having a large amount of cash for research and development and we might see more great products if that was not an issue. Bugs in the blofeld for example took several years to fix and it didn't seem that Waldorf were being lazy, more likely hiring more staff was not an option.

All this is psychic detective work on my part and probably far from reality but you never know!

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    Too large teams get nothing done.
    They have top ppl and a lot of dsp code.
    They know how to make sexy hardware.
    They are small and innovative.
    If I owned that brandname I wouldn’t sell it in 50 years.

I can't argue with any of that, just that I wouldn't mind seeing even more Waldorf goodies in the world!

• edited January 2018

Waldorf Largo (very close to Blofeld) would be something I would love to see happening on iOS one day!

• Tasty looking beast, that is.

• edited January 2018

Used to have a Micro Q Rack that I regretfully sold, but I’ve been creating some incredible sounds in Nave. I can only imagine what fun I’d have with the Quantum, cause they sure as hell won’t have one at my local Guitar Center.

Actually I was seriously interested in the Studiologic Sledge at one point, which is built upon the Waldorf synth engine. Once I found out about all the bugs I decided it wasn’t for me, which is disappointing cause its programming interface is amazing.

• @soundshaper Have you checked out the PPG synths yet?
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised if the answer is "no"

They are quite deep and the more apps you have the more you can do since the wavetables, samples and phenoms(?) from each can be used in the others.

WaveMapper or Infinite are good starters but I can't say a bad thing about any of them.

• "Used to have", "Waldorf" and "regret" often appear in the same sentence on music related forums!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @soundshaper Have you checked out the PPG synths yet?

They are quite deep and the more apps you have the more you can do since the wavetables, samples and phenoms(?) from each can be used in the others.

WaveMapper or Infinite are good starters but I can't say a bad thing about any of them.

I’ve only looked, and they do look deep! Perfect places to get lost in sonic pleasure. I need to check out the demos and get one of those three that suits my fancy. Thanks for the reminder.

• @soundshaper said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @soundshaper Have you checked out the PPG synths yet?

I’ve only looked, and they do look deep! Perfect places to get lost in sonic pleasure. I need to check out the demos and get one of those three that suits my fancy. Thanks for the reminder.

Just noticed that the vst versions do indeed have a demo, I can finally give PPG Infinite a test drive. Thanks for that!