Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cannabis: Help or hindrance?

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:
    @TozBourne
    Good luck friend.....and you know that when things get tough...you can always come here and we'll kick you around for a bit until your spirits are lifted :)

So true...thanks Andy!

• @TozBourne said:
    This is a real good discussion with some surprising comments.

>

None more so than yours, sir. Very sorry to hear of your heath troubles, and hope you have a good prognosis.

Laid up again myself, waiting for hole to heal after surgery, so more grumpy than usual.

Take care.

• @Zen210507 said:

@TozBourne said:

>

None more so than yours, sir. Very sorry to hear of your heath troubles, and hope you have a good prognosis.

Laid up again myself, waiting for hole to heal after surgery, so more grumpy than usual.

Take care.

Ditto X2

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I wasn't expecting so many responses, thanks to all who have shared their experiences!
    I do think it's interesting to hear a wide range of opinions.

To the poster who said it should not be allowed on the forum, I'm not sure if you noticed this is in the "off topic" section? Reading through the responses I don't feel that this thread is encouraging drug use. As others have stated this already exists and musicians have probably one of the highest rates of exposure to all kinds of substances.

I guess that's directed at me. I'm sorry for giving the impression that it should not be allowed. (also, apologies I thought it was in the 'general' section)
    I have a pretty liberal attitude to life including smoking pot (most of my friends smoke it and I too have smoked my fair share in the past).
    However, I felt I needed to at least point out the potential problems that can affect long term users as a counterpoint to the "man this is heavy let's go smoke a blunt" type comments.
    So yeah, it can be a pleasurable drug no doubt, but I believe there is quite a lot of research that suggests long term use can have some pretty nasty cognitive implications for some people.
    I also think the musicians have the 'highest rate of exposure' is also a fairly outdated idea. At least in my experience, it's more likely to be the audience that are getting high than then musicians in a lot of cases : )
    Anyhow, I agree that the arguments have been quite balanced and now I realise it is in "off topic" I will fuck off quietly.

• edited January 2018

@iamspoon said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I wasn't expecting so many responses, thanks to all who have shared their experiences!
    I do think it's interesting to hear a wide range of opinions.

To the poster who said it should not be allowed on the forum, I'm not sure if you noticed this is in the "off topic" section? Reading through the responses I don't feel that this thread is encouraging drug use. As others have stated this already exists and musicians have probably one of the highest rates of exposure to all kinds of substances.

I guess that's directed at me. I'm sorry for giving the impression that it should not be allowed. (also, apologies I thought it was in the 'general' section)
    I have a pretty liberal attitude to life including smoking pot (most of my friends smoke it and I too have smoked my fair share in the past).
    However, I felt I needed to at least point out the potential problems that can affect long term users as a counterpoint to the "man this is heavy let's go smoke a blunt" type comments.
    So yeah, it can be a pleasurable drug no doubt, but I believe there is quite a lot of research that suggests long term use can have some pretty nasty cognitive implications for some people.
    I also think the musicians have the 'highest rate of exposure' is also a fairly outdated idea. At least in my experience, it's more likely to be the audience that are getting high than then musicians in a lot of cases : )
    Anyhow, I agree that the arguments have been quite balanced and now I realise it is in "off topic" I will fuck off quietly.

I genuinely wasn't being hostile in any way to you, sorry if you got that impression. This off-topic section is brand new and I was 99% sure that you had not noticed that. All opinions are welcome and this topic was always going to be highly subjective.

One thing I have noticed in this thread and my own life is that starting to smoke at a young age is probably a very bad idea for anybody!

• @Tarekith Interesting. I used to feel the same but after about a year of not smoking it, I found that the creativity which I experienced and the buzz from the music was pretty similar to when I was smoking regularly. I think it's possible to misappropriate the joy of music as being due to the substances if it becomes habitual.
    That said, whatever works and helps productivity and enjoyment for you it's all good.

• I'm sitting here wondering how many Waldorf Quantums I could afford if I had saved the cash that I spent on smoking over the years!

• Beatniks still beatnikkin' what goes around....

• @BlueGreenSpiral It's cool, I didn't read any hostility into your comment. <3 I just thought I should clarify why I questioned whether this was a good place to discuss this.

• No worries @iamspoon
    It's so easy to take things the wrong way in an online discussion compared to face to face, just wanted to make sure that didn't happen :)

• @Tarekith said:
    I'm the oppposite of most people, THC makes me incredibly focused and I actually get stuff done. I've struggled with ADHD over the years, and it really helps me focus on what I'm doing without getting distracted by stuff that doesn't matter. That endless mental loop as it were.

Living in Seattle where it's legal now is definitely nice, I can just walk down to the store on the corner and pick out what I want knowing it's been tested. Fairly cheap too, at least compared to craft beer which is also big here. :smile: I vape so I could care less about large nugs, which means I can get 1/2oz shake bags of great herb for something like $40. Crazy.

But like with anything, it's about being aware of how it affects you. I know many people who just sit and are lazy and do nothing but noodle when they smoke up. I'd not be interested in it if that was the situation for me.

I used to think I felt calm doing lines of blow.

I thought I could dance better taking X.

I thought I met my spirit guides doing sensory deprivation with Ketamine.

I had great sex on meth.

I did dope that made my world melt into bliss.

I G'd my way to pure Euphoria at the Roxy.

I found that all these things were amazing.

They were limited opportunities to experience something of a higher plane of existence.

Not being on in that existence, but my own.

I realized that the ratio of pleasure to pain x times used has deafening results on the mind soul and body.

• @lnikj said:

@TozBourne said:
    This is a real good discussion with some surprising comments. I’ve been a recreational user for a long time, but it realy changed last year when I got sick. I haven’t announced anything publicly so I guess nows a good time: I’ve got cancer. Anyway...now I use pot only occasionally and that’s to help eleviate pain and nausea.

Very sorry to to hear that. As somebody who has had cancer (but clear of it now for years) and has a partner with it now, you have my sympathy and understanding. Take care of yourself (and stay away from people with the flu!)

Good luck guys.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Tarekith said:
    I'm the oppposite of most people, THC makes me incredibly focused and I actually get stuff done. I've struggled with ADHD over the years, and it really helps me focus on what I'm doing without getting distracted by stuff that doesn't matter. That endless mental loop as it were.

Living in Seattle where it's legal now is definitely nice, I can just walk down to the store on the corner and pick out what I want knowing it's been tested. Fairly cheap too, at least compared to craft beer which is also big here. :smile: I vape so I could care less about large nugs, which means I can get 1/2oz shake bags of great herb for something like $40. Crazy.

But like with anything, it's about being aware of how it affects you. I know many people who just sit and are lazy and do nothing but noodle when they smoke up. I'd not be interested in it if that was the situation for me.

I used to think I felt calm doing lines of blow.

I thought I could dance better taking X.

I thought I met my spirit guides doing sensory deprivation with Ketamine.

I had great sex on meth.

I did dope that made my world melt into bliss.

I G'd my way to pure Euphoria at the Roxy.

I found that all these things were amazing.

They were limited opportunities to experience something of a higher plane of existence.

Not being on in that existence, but my own.

I realized that the ratio of pleasure to pain x times used has deafening results on the mind soul and body.

Sounds like our ex drummer, he left music making behind a long time ago, he's now filthy rich.

• @Zen210507 said:

@TozBourne said:

>

Take care.

You’ve been through the ringer enough, wishing you a speedy recovery.

• I like it but discovered it was causing my severe stomach pains and triggered sinus congestion. Since I quit I’m more driven but slightly less laid back. For creativity, love and inspiration, psilicibin is my medicine.

• edited January 2018

My heart goes out to everyone with medical issues on this board. <3

As someone from Denver, you can probably guess where I stand on the benefits of marijuana use. Hopefully, it helps some people.

• I can barely function socially on weed but it puts me in the zone when it comes to making music and other creative endeavors. So I use it accordingly

• Gonna be fully legal here in all of Canada come July 1st.

• edited January 2018

@TheoVoid said:
    I can barely function socially on weed but it puts me in the zone when it comes to making music and other creative endeavors. So I use it accordingly

This post is pretty much the situation I found myself in. Apart from "So I use it accordingly"

I understated the negative aspects quite a bit in my original post, probably because most people I discuss this with don't seem to experience them and can't relate. It took the realisation that missing out on social stuff (convinced that everyone somehow knows I am stoned so would often avoid events often) alongside the fact that I wouldn't be able to pay the Ableton 10 pre-order that is fast approaching for me to seriously question my relationship with smoking.

This discussion has been a big part of my decision to put it down for the foreseeable future and get back into the world more. I sincerely hope everyone who has mentioned health problems so far will see things improve. If any of you are also suffering financially maybe we could organise a benefit album or something similar..

• @TozBourne I have been out of this thread for a while and only just now read your note. I am very sorry to hear your news and pretty stunned by your (relative) equanimity. Humbling actually. I trust you're getting the care/help you need. Maryjane or otherwise. I won't give you the 'fight the good fight' military metaphors, because I'm not sure I believe in them, but I send you fond wishes and hope your philosophical outlook endures through and out the other side of this bout.

• I stay on the weed
    Around a gram per day
    I quit smoking around 2 years ago, only vaporize cannabis... so much better
    Been fighting advanced stage blood cancer for the last 4 years (way too much treatment, I’ve had it all )

1:1 oil is really good too
    Moderation and balance is key
    I use to abuse it when I was younger

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Tarekith said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @Tarekith As a long time viewer on the ableton forums, I'm quite surprised to hear that you're a regular smoker since you definitely don't fit into the typical stereotype. Thanks for your input!

It’s one of those things I just normally don’t have a need or desire to talk about. To me it’s really no big deal at all, couple hits on the vape before I start writing music and that’s it most of the time.

My comment was an observation that you seem to get a lot done, and spend quite a bit of time helping others out online. This contradicts the popular opinion that this substance automatically makes people lazy and unmotivated!

I think a lot of my tutorials and even when I help out on the forums has been after I've smoked. Even my original post on this thread was after smoking lol. I guess it doesn't affect me the way people expect it to either.

• If you don’t blaze up every day, your third eye will never open and you might think you’re making decent tunes sober but it’s really just a bunch of tryhard retro stuff.

• edited January 2018

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I had a psychotic episode on it just before I started my mental health nurses training many moons ago. One of the worst nights of my life - have never touched the stuff since. I did end up as a drug and alcohol nurse for a while though working at an assessment centre and then a prison. Pretty much until my illness cut my career short.

I have not tried thc products for their pain masking effects, as I am sure in my mind that I am genetically susceptible to further mental health issues using it

I don’t believe it had any effect on my musicality - I’ve always been musically lazy. I don’t try anywhere near hard enough to get any better. I’ve convinced myself that I’m quite content to enjoy what I do and never have any ambition to move my music to any other level than fun fun fun.

I have noticed that now I rarely use any of the more common drugs - thc, nicotine, caffeine , alcohol etc, that I have a greater enjoyment of my more natural highs like a sun set and rise while out at the lake fishing for a few days. Watching heavy rain, or the animal life around the lake has a wonderful effect on my body and mind - not for all maybe, but definitely my drug of choice, along with making music of course :)

CBD products would be the ones to look at for the psycological/medicinal benefits. THC is most likely the culprit when it comes to negative psycological reactions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol

“CBD does not appear to have any intoxicating effects such as those caused by tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and it may have a downregulating impact on disordered thinking and anxiety.[7]“

Yes. THC is a psychedelic and CBD is an antipsychotic, but not psychoactive. It has been observed that some people with psychiatric disorders triggered by cannabis use, have started to spontaneously self medicate the symptoms with cannabis, because the CBD in it can help to reduce some the symptoms. THC in cannabis ofc making the condition worse at the same time.. Also because CBD levels vary a lot between different strains, sometimes it can make things a lot worse. CBD has been also studied in other mental illnesses and seems like it could be a good candidate for a antipsychotic drug for some at least.

• @ToMess said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I had a psychotic episode on it just before I started my mental health nurses training many moons ago. One of the worst nights of my life - have never touched the stuff since. I did end up as a drug and alcohol nurse for a while though working at an assessment centre and then a prison. Pretty much until my illness cut my career short.

I have not tried thc products for their pain masking effects, as I am sure in my mind that I am genetically susceptible to further mental health issues using it

I don’t believe it had any effect on my musicality - I’ve always been musically lazy. I don’t try anywhere near hard enough to get any better. I’ve convinced myself that I’m quite content to enjoy what I do and never have any ambition to move my music to any other level than fun fun fun.

I have noticed that now I rarely use any of the more common drugs - thc, nicotine, caffeine , alcohol etc, that I have a greater enjoyment of my more natural highs like a sun set and rise while out at the lake fishing for a few days. Watching heavy rain, or the animal life around the lake has a wonderful effect on my body and mind - not for all maybe, but definitely my drug of choice, along with making music of course :)

CBD products would be the ones to look at for the psycological/medicinal benefits. THC is most likely the culprit when it comes to negative psycological reactions.

“CBD does not appear to have any intoxicating effects such as those caused by tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and it may have a downregulating impact on disordered thinking and anxiety.[7]“

Yes. THC is a psychedelic and CBD is an antipsychotic, but not psychoactive. It has been observed that some people with psychiatric disorders triggered by cannabis use, have started to spontaneously self medicate the symptoms with cannabis, because the CBD in it can help to reduce some the symptoms. THC in cannabis ofc making the condition worse at the same time.. Also because CBD levels vary a lot between different strains, sometimes it can make things a lot worse. CBD has been also studied in other mental illnesses and seems like it could be a good candidate for a antipsychotic drug for some at least.

Blimey, sounds like that would need a patch randomiser!

• @u0421793 said:

@ToMess said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Blimey, sounds like that would need a patch randomiser!

:D it would sure make Nicotine patches more fun >:)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @TozBourne I have been out of this thread for a while and only just now read your note. I am very sorry to hear your news and pretty stunned by your (relative) equanimity. Humbling actually. I trust you're getting the care/help you need. Maryjane or otherwise. I won't give you the 'fight the good fight' military metaphors, because I'm not sure I believe in them, but I send you fond wishes and hope your philosophical outlook endures through and out the other side of this bout.

Thanks for the thoughts, Johnny. I think the “fight the good fight” encouragement has its place....I’ve never needed it before but when I hear it, I don’t know, but something clicks inside and it seems to help. Thanks to Obamacare I am now medically covered, making all the differenice in the world, and MJ is a big help when my stomach can’t handle any more pills.

I was getting depressed a couple of years ago, but when mortality slapped me in the face my outlook suddenly changed. I quit smoking cigs as soon as I was diagnosed with the big C. I just quit with no aids, helpers or anything. I walk at least a mile every morning and am eating better. Too bad it took something so drastic to get me to improve my lifestyle, but at least I have a good attitude and I still hope to achieve some things (musical and otherwise) before I say goodbye to planet earth.

• My marijuana usage is both helpful and a hindersnce, when it comes to making music.

When I’m high and around friends, I love jamming/noodling on my iPad for hours, putting on an intense, noisy, psychedelic quasi-show for anyone that feels like listening. Sometimes I’ll play something great, and sometimes I’ll remember to save it.

Pot also really helps give me a fresh, intuitive perspective when mixing a piece. The perspective and intuition extends beyond mixing, as sometimes being high will inspire me in unexpected ways, leading me to coming up with something thoroughly satisfying.

When it comes to wasting time in my studio, composing, and trying to overcome technical issues, marijuana is a gigantic hinderance. There’s nothing more frustrating than being to stoned while endlessly plugging and unplugging wires, struggling to remember what the problem was in the first place, and what wire goes where, trying to understand the spaghetti, etc.