Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cannabis: Help or hindrance?

Comments

• @AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I had a psychotic episode on it just before I started my mental health nurses training many moons ago. One of the worst nights of my life - have never touched the stuff since. I did end up as a drug and alcohol nurse for a while though working at an assessment centre and then a prison. Pretty much until my illness cut my career short.

I have not tried thc products for their pain masking effects, as I am sure in my mind that I am genetically susceptible to further mental health issues using it

I don’t believe it had any effect on my musicality - I’ve always been musically lazy. I don’t try anywhere near hard enough to get any better. I’ve convinced myself that I’m quite content to enjoy what I do and never have any ambition to move my music to any other level than fun fun fun.

I have noticed that now I rarely use any of the more common drugs - thc, nicotine, caffeine , alcohol etc, that I have a greater enjoyment of my more natural highs like a sun set and rise while out at the lake fishing for a few days. Watching heavy rain, or the animal life around the lake has a wonderful effect on my body and mind - not for all maybe, but definitely my drug of choice, along with making music of course :)

CBD products would be the ones to look at for the psycological/medicinal benefits. THC is most likely the culprit when it comes to negative psycological reactions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol

“CBD does not appear to have any intoxicating effects such as those caused by tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and it may have a downregulating impact on disordered thinking and anxiety.[7]“

To be honest, I’m pretty much following only the medications used and trialed most for my own particular health problem nowadays. Triptans seem to be my best pain help at this time.

Absolutely. Just go with what works for you.

I was mainly just pointing out for the sake of the thread how there are many compounds that have very different effects which can be filtered out for completely different uses. It is so unlike alcohol in that way, but people tend to just lump all of the 100+ potential compounds together.

Yeah so true. Very much like nicotine has been demonised from smoking cigarettes, yet it’s not the main issue with smoking related health problems.

I never got into smoking but had an addiction to nicotine lozenges. The only time I ever felt physical withdrawls and i am sure it was a lot less than what smokers go through. As for creative focus... Wow, worked as advertised.

Awful to say it here, but I have to be honest - the best thing for my creative focus is staying away from the internet and sites like this! Lol

Haha, I am on the train and have a bm3 isymphonic harp running through replicant2 and effectrix recording random slicer fodder as i type this. To me foruming is like chatting to the band mates i never had.

My poor old brain no longer likes multitasking at speed (other than very slow!)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I had a psychotic episode on it just before I started my mental health nurses training many moons ago. One of the worst nights of my life - have never touched the stuff since. I did end up as a drug and alcohol nurse for a while though working at an assessment centre and then a prison. Pretty much until my illness cut my career short.

I have not tried thc products for their pain masking effects, as I am sure in my mind that I am genetically susceptible to further mental health issues using it

I don’t believe it had any effect on my musicality - I’ve always been musically lazy. I don’t try anywhere near hard enough to get any better. I’ve convinced myself that I’m quite content to enjoy what I do and never have any ambition to move my music to any other level than fun fun fun.

I have noticed that now I rarely use any of the more common drugs - thc, nicotine, caffeine , alcohol etc, that I have a greater enjoyment of my more natural highs like a sun set and rise while out at the lake fishing for a few days. Watching heavy rain, or the animal life around the lake has a wonderful effect on my body and mind - not for all maybe, but definitely my drug of choice, along with making music of course :)

CBD products would be the ones to look at for the psycological/medicinal benefits. THC is most likely the culprit when it comes to negative psycological reactions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol

“CBD does not appear to have any intoxicating effects such as those caused by tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and it may have a downregulating impact on disordered thinking and anxiety.[7]“

To be honest, I’m pretty much following only the medications used and trialed most for my own particular health problem nowadays. Triptans seem to be my best pain help at this time.

Absolutely. Just go with what works for you.

I was mainly just pointing out for the sake of the thread how there are many compounds that have very different effects which can be filtered out for completely different uses. It is so unlike alcohol in that way, but people tend to just lump all of the 100+ potential compounds together.

Yeah so true. Very much like nicotine has been demonised from smoking cigarettes, yet it’s not the main issue with smoking related health problems.

I never got into smoking but had an addiction to nicotine lozenges. The only time I ever felt physical withdrawls and i am sure it was a lot less than what smokers go through. As for creative focus... Wow, worked as advertised.

Awful to say it here, but I have to be honest - the best thing for my creative focus is staying away from the internet and sites like this! Lol

Haha, I am on the train and have a bm3 isymphonic harp running through replicant2 and effectrix recording random slicer fodder as i type this. To me foruming is like chatting to the band mates i never had.

My poor old brain no longer likes multitasking at speed (other than very slow!)

A big part of my workflow is to set up a thing, hit play and record, wait a few minutes, then mine for the gold. If it wasn't just dark and rainy i would be staring out the window.

• Addiction is usually not too good, whatever your poison, I know.

• I don’t do it anymore, but as far as making music goes, smoking alone was a godsend, smoking around other people was a no-no.

Alone I could obsess and focus on ideas I had deep down but would never give the time to develop when sober. For example, I smoked heavily for one semester in college and spent every night in my room with just an acoustic working on a pop/classical/prog-rock concept album that was intended to replace the score of The Adventures of Prince Achmed, the first animated feature ever, a 1926 silent film by a German woman (look it up if you smoke, it’s amazing on pot).

Add other people, though, and my contribution to co-writing was worthless. I’d get too caught up either perfecting tiny ideas or too ambitious in trying to shoehorn too many ideas into one piece.

• edited January 2018

This is a real good discussion with some surprising comments. I’ve been a recreational user for a long time, but it realy changed last year when I got sick. I haven’t announced anything publicly so I guess nows a good time: I’ve got cancer. Anyway...now I use pot only occasionally and that’s to help eleviate pain and nausea. When I was younger there were many a day or week even, where I’d be constantly stoned, but over the years I slowed down my usage and it’s kind of funny now how I see it as medicine along with a bunch of other drugs I’m taking.

As to topic; pot has been both a help and at times a hinderamce to my creativity. Used sparingly, it has helped me to be patient while creating and to learn new things. While used in excess, it just caused me to be lazy and not produce anything usable.

As to other substances: Alcohol has never helped me in any way, no matter how romantic the notion of the drunk poet may have been. Speed is dangerous and I don’t advocate it but man, it can get the creative juices flowing like nothing else.

• I wasn't expecting so many responses, thanks to all who have shared their experiences!
    I do think it's interesting to hear a wide range of opinions.

To the poster who said it should not be allowed on the forum, I'm not sure if you noticed this is in the "off topic" section? Reading through the responses I don't feel that this thread is encouraging drug use. As others have stated this already exists and musicians have probably one of the highest rates of exposure to all kinds of substances.

• @Tarekith said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @Tarekith As a long time viewer on the ableton forums, I'm quite surprised to hear that you're a regular smoker since you definitely don't fit into the typical stereotype. Thanks for your input!

It’s one of those things I just normally don’t have a need or desire to talk about. To me it’s really no big deal at all, couple hits on the vape before I start writing music and that’s it most of the time.

My comment was an observation that you seem to get a lot done, and spend quite a bit of time helping others out online. This contradicts the popular opinion that this substance automatically makes people lazy and unmotivated!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    My battery says it all ;)

>

Haha! Far more admirable than mine. I went on a Netflix / Peaky Blinders binge last night.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I smoked heavily for one semester in college and spent every night in my room with just an acoustic working on a pop/classical/prog-rock concept album that was intended to replace the score of The Adventures of Prince Achmed, the first animated feature ever, a 1926 silent film by a German woman (look it up if you smoke, it’s amazing on pot).

This is one of my favourite comments so far, thanks for posting!

• I would say it is definitely a helpdrance.

• @TozBourne said:
    This is a real good discussion with some surprising comments. I’ve been a recreational user for a long time, but it realy changed last year when I got sick. I haven’t announced anything publicly so I guess nows a good time: I’ve got cancer. Anyway...now I use pot only occasionally and that’s to help eleviate pain and nausea.

Very sorry to to hear that. As somebody who has had cancer (but clear of it now for years) and has a partner with it now, you have my sympathy and understanding. Take care of yourself (and stay away from people with the flu!)

• edited January 2018

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    My comment was an observation that you seem to get a lot done, and spend quite a bit of time helping others out online. This contradicts the popular opinion that this substance automatically makes people lazy and unmotivated!

I think a lot of that is due to the kinds of weed people used to smoke. Shitty skunk stuff full of seeds like people had years ago will probably make you super lazy and good friends with the Cheetos stocker at the local corner store. I only use Sativas myself, which are known for a more uplifting and creative inducing high. I find vaping versus smoking helps too, I get less tired and it's easier to know exactly how much you are taking.

But like I mentioned initially, I know a lot of it comes down to the individual person's response as well. I have some friends who smoke pot every day and you'd never ever know it. Other people freak out after one hit of strains that I barely can feel. It's the people that can't deal with it or regulate their use properly that really should stay away.

And in the interest of fairness I guess I should be upfront about the fact that after using it for so long to help with musical creativity, it's definitely a lot harder for me to make music without it. I can still write certainly, but it's not as fun and feels more like a chore to me at times. I'm definitely FAR less productive without it, and I spend a lot more time noodling and not getting much done too. Kinda funny how that's the reverse of so many other people I know :)

• My relationship with Mama Ganga has been a long and varied one. I used to smoke all day everyday and never stopped, now I take frequent breaks of several months and then indulge for a week or two.

I find she can be a seductress if you are not careful and slowly take over your life, but if you are respectful and take frequent breaks and MOST IMPORTANTLY do a lil prayer/ rity’all/ ceremony before you toke, she will treat you right.

She is great medicine for me when I feel creatively blocked, but if I become reliant and a long term all day every day token, she becomes the creative block itself

• @TozBourne I hope things get better for you, I wasn't expecting so many honest and well thought out responses to this discussion. Don't really know what to say as an internet stranger apart from I wish you luck with your situation.

• @lnikj said:

@TozBourne said:
    This is a real good discussion with some surprising comments. I’ve been a recreational user for a long time, but it realy changed last year when I got sick. I haven’t announced anything publicly so I guess nows a good time: I’ve got cancer. Anyway...now I use pot only occasionally and that’s to help eleviate pain and nausea.

Very sorry to to hear that. As somebody who has had cancer (but clear of it now for years) and has a partner with it now, you have my sympathy and understanding. Take care of yourself (and stay away from people with the flu!)

Thank you so much. Glad you’re clear but sad to know your partner is dealing with it. And yeah, I try and stay away from everyone...flu or not...LOL.

• edited January 2018

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @TozBourne I hope things get better for you, I wasn't expecting so many honest and well thought out responses to this discussion. Don't really know what to say as an internet stranger apart from I wish you luck with your situation.

Thanks, stranger or no, your words still mean a lot to me. Quit a few (too many) here in the forums are ill, and I’m sadly just another one. Never been sick in my life...just skated by it seems until recently. At least I’ve had a pretty darn good time on planet earth and I’ve had it a lot better than most. Funny enough, my music productivity has slipped only a little bit since getting sick and it’s actually coming back some. A lot of that has to do with the creativity I see all around me...it’s inspiring!

• @CracklePot said:
    I would say it is definitely a helpdrance.

I think this is a good summary of the responses so far!

• Veering slightly towards the on topic forum section, I just went from this thread to the BM3 one. This gave me a different perspective on what is actually important in life...

• @Tarekith said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

I think a lot of that is due to the kinds of weed people used to smoke. Shitty skunk stuff full of seeds like people had years ago will probably make you super lazy and good friends with the Cheetos stocker at the local corner store. I only use Sativas myself, which are known for a more uplifting and creative inducing high. I find vaping versus smoking helps too, I get less tired and it's easier to know exactly how much you are taking.

But like I mentioned initially, I know a lot of it comes down to the individual person's response as well. I have some friends who smoke pot every day and you'd never ever know it. Other people freak out after one hit of strains that I barely can feel. It's the people that can't deal with it or regulate their use properly that really should stay away.

And in the interest of fairness I guess I should be upfront about the fact that after using it for so long to help with musical creativity, it's definitely a lot harder for me to make music without it. I can still write certainly, but it's not as fun and feels more like a chore to me at times. I'm definitely FAR less productive without it, and I spend a lot more time noodling and not getting much done too. Kinda funny how that's the reverse of so many other people I know :)

I'm very much like you @Tarekith ...

I've been a daily pot smoker here coming up on 25 years now. Every day!! From the time I wake until I go to bed. I love it and can't think of many reasons to quit other than the finances. Unlike most I find it motivates me, stimulates creativity, I sleep better, have an overall better positive attitude towards life and work, plus more... It's my only vice (other than app addiction) I don't drink or do other drugs.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Veering slightly towards the on topic forum section, I just went from this thread to the BM3 one. This gave me a different perspective on what is actually important in life...

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Veering slightly towards the on topic forum section, I just went from this thread to the BM3 one. This gave me a different perspective on what is actually important in life...

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

I think a lot of folks in that thread could do with coming in here and chilling for a bit :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

I think a lot of folks in that thread could do with coming in here and chilling for a bit :D

Drug induced chilling is purely optional though ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

Drugs for Free, now that's......

• good luck @TozBourne hope you get the all clear soon

• @knewspeak said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

What I call music !

• edited January 2018

@knewspeak said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

I just hope they won't use the subscription model, if so I'm definitely quitting for good!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

Drug induced chilling is purely optional though ;)

As long as you bring your own, I'm not sharing :D

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@knewspeak said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Yeah doesn’t it ;)

I just hope they won't use the subscription model, if so I'm definitely quitting for good!

or Prescription model, that'd be worse.....higher price...and no updates

• @TozBourne
    Good luck friend.....and you know that when things get tough...you can always come here and we'll kick you around for a bit until your spirits are lifted :)