Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cannabis: Help or hindrance?

Comments

• It's been a long time for me. But it was starting to give me terrible anxiety. Having managed to get past a lot of that recently, not sure I'm in a hurry to try it again, even though it's going to be legal this summer.

• @Tarekith said:
    I'm the oppposite of most people, THC makes me incredibly focused and I actually get stuff done. I've struggled with ADHD over the years, and it really helps me focus on what I'm doing without getting distracted by stuff that doesn't matter. That endless mental loop as it were.

Living in Seattle where it's legal now is definitely nice, I can just walk down to the store on the corner and pick out what I want knowing it's been tested. Fairly cheap too, at least compared to craft beer which is also big here. :smile: I vape so I could care less about large nugs, which means I can get 1/2oz shake bags of great herb for something like $40. Crazy.

But like with anything, it's about being aware of how it affects you. I know many people who just sit and are lazy and do nothing but noodle when they smoke up. I'd not be interested in it if that was the situation for me.

It made me super bug eyed crazy ambitious... sativa, indica, didn’t matter. i would stay up all night cranking on projects and schemes, bet the farm, let it ride, only live once etc. I’ve got manic tendancies if I am not taking super care of myself.. If I were young and single I maybe could have made it work for me but I came to it too late to quit the job and bet it all on my crazy dreams and schemes.

• 'Depends' is the answer here.

I used to smoke quite a bit until about 10 years ago and I think it definitely contributed to the career ending major depression that I suffered back then.

I have not sought it out since but for the last 2 nights I have smoked a little again. A friend gave us some for my partner, who has terminal cancer and is having palliative chemo. She had never smoked it in her life before and declares she feels nothing so far (not tuned in to it yet) but it has given her the munchies and she has eaten more in the past two days than she has eaten in weeks, felt less nauseous, and has slept much better, so a very definite win there for her.

I have enjoyed it too but I don't think it is a road I want to go down again. It is too much of a demotivator.

• @Tarekith As a long time viewer on the ableton forums, I'm quite surprised to hear that you're a regular smoker since you definitely don't fit into the typical stereotype. Thanks for your input!

@Noirflux I can relate to the empty fridge syndrome! After stopping I could only manage soup for the first few days and my sweet tooth has disappeared completely now.

@rickwaugh I also had noticed anxiety creeping up on me lately. Where I live now there is only weed available. When I lived in the Netherlands I discovered that good hash was a far better option as it didn't send my mind on strange journeys, much more relaxing and I found it also helped with getting a nice deep sleep. Tasty and aromatic stuff like manali cream or Moroccan honey hash I would definitely smoke again if it was possible. Very strong weed tends to wake me up, put me on edge, forget everything instantly and I mostly avoided it back then.

• It's helping me cope with the BM3 price-drop lol

• I tried almost any type of drugs when I was in my 20s, and principally I was continuously smoking marijuana and hashish.

I never been really addicted to nothing because I was lucky (probably got a strong personality too).

The day I quitted all kind of drugs (tobacco included) my life got instantly better.

Drugs are ok in your 20s, well... maybe...
    (if you aren’t idiot and especially if you’re lucky).

Are ok too for therapeutic uses and cure of pains.

After that, well,
    Drugs are for losers.

• edited January 2018

I don't have a romantic attachment to weed. I've never had a continuous relationship with it but whenever we were in the same room the attraction was incredible. Good thing I could handle it better than alcohol.

Now, I occasionally feel that it would be nice to have a hoot after the kids have gone to bed but by the time that happens it's kinda too late to do anything.

Good thing nobody in my band is an avid user but I sometimes wish we could all detach from reality for a bit longer than 3 hours. Some kind of equivalent of the booze cruise.

So yeah, my relationship with drugs has generally been very lighthearted albeit not necessarily creative but I don't think I have an addictive personality.

It has to be said though that for some it is a real problem and causes all sorts of problems, financial to social.

Drug's (including legal ones) have enough potential for destruction that wishing the kids never touched them wouldn't be out of place.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    All of my genius was in morphine. Or so I thought. I don't know if my ideas are perhaps a little less stratospheric than they once were, but I can actually understand them now mostly. And remember them too :)

According to my girlfriend who has been on and off almost every pain/sleep/anxiety medicine ever created for the past decade, coming off morphine was among the very very worst. Congratulations for getting through that one!

It was unpleasant and long-winded, but, in the grand scheme of damage done, alcohol probably caused me to waste more love and life than morphine ever did. Would not recommend the journey, but it's true that I have a lot of old maps to look at now and write miserable songs about (which I enjoy :) )....

Nothing like an old song to bring back those memories.

• pot's great! i have a pipe twice a week, only in the evenings. i play for hours. gives me a sort of autistic focus. got to have some control over it tho, regulate the use so it stays novel. i have one set and setting-night in on my oddy and either play my acoustic or jam with some apps. it's like putting some lovely chorus on a dry sound. recent studies using scans seem to show that it does enhance a persons experience of sound.
    in my teens, i spent all the money i could get over a few years building a sound system. one time i was with some friends getting stoned, there was a cheap little ghetto blaster with a copied tape playing. i just couldn't get over how that little ghetto blaster sounded better than my expensive system.
    i've never been inclined to do stuff excessively, so i'm quite lucky. i have a few friends who have made themselves ill from smoking too much. but, like don juan says in casteneda's books- they're power plants, they can empower a person or they can ruin a life, depending on how they're used.

• edited January 2018

When I was in showbiz, I was offered every kind of drug. Never felt the need or interest to indulge. Ultimately, drugs fuck you up, everyone knows this.

With reference to marijuana, my only real experience was when working on a large multimedia project, that initially attracted Arts Council funding. We missed out on about a hundred grand, because two lazy bastards involved preferred smoking their weed to getting stuff done.

It’s individual choice, of course, and I wouldn’t dream of telling anyone else what to take or not take. But I still think of what could’ve been achieved with that grant. ;)

• Without wishing to sound pious about this, I don't think this discussion really belongs on this forum.
    For a start, In most locations it is a controlled substance and a mild hallucinogen that can cause real problems for people with certain dispositions.
    So yeah it can heighten your senses and appreciation of music, but it can also cause psychological problems.
    It also leads to a lot of unfinished projects in my experience... :p

• edited January 2018

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I've never had issues with remembering stuff once I'm sober.

>

Drink, I did do in younger years. Until, about my mid 20’s when there was an occasion where I got seriously drunk, found that such a quantity of alcohol was a suppressant than made me depressed, and thought why the hell would I do that again. There was nothing whatsoever to be gained.

Since then, I’ve been merry quite a few times, but never again drunk. I enjoy a beer, or glass of wine, occasionally, and a nice pina colada on my hols. But that is it for me. More, and I feel it dulling my senses, inhibiting my capacity to think, create and interact. It just slows me down. Who needs that.

• edited January 2018

I had a psychotic episode on it just before I started my mental health nurses training many moons ago. One of the worst nights of my life - have never touched the stuff since. I did end up as a drug and alcohol nurse for a while though working at an assessment centre and then a prison. Pretty much until my illness cut my career short.

I have not tried thc products for their pain masking effects, as I am sure in my mind that I am genetically susceptible to further mental health issues using it

I don’t believe it had any effect on my musicality - I’ve always been musically lazy. I don’t try anywhere near hard enough to get any better. I’ve convinced myself that I’m quite content to enjoy what I do and never have any ambition to move my music to any other level than fun fun fun.

I have noticed that now I rarely use any of the more common drugs - thc, nicotine, caffeine , alcohol etc, that I have a greater enjoyment of my more natural highs like a sun set and rise while out at the lake fishing for a few days. Watching heavy rain, or the animal life around the lake has a wonderful effect on my body and mind - not for all maybe, but definitely my drug of choice, along with making music of course :)

• I started smoking it heavily aged 16. Was a great way to pass the boring evenings stuck out in the middle of nowhere (Devon in my case). By the age of 19 it caused me constant paranoia and anxiety, cannabis psychosis, so I had to give it up and that was the end of my relationship with the stuff.

I do remember though that when I was high on weed that I had the constant nagging feeling that I should be getting stuff done rather than sitting around stoned...

Like everything in life different people react to it differently. I took a lot of drugs when I was young - some better (MDMA) some worse (cocaine, which is just instant asshole powder), but in middle age I personally get a lot more satisfaction from productivity than hedonism.

• @richardyot said:
    I started smoking it heavily aged 16. Was a great way to pass the boring evenings stuck out in the middle of nowhere (Devon in my case). By the age of 19 it caused me constant paranoia and anxiety, cannabis psychosis, so I had to give it up and that was the end of my relationship with the stuff.

I do remember though that when I was high on weed that I had the constant nagging feeling that I should be getting stuff done rather than sitting around stoned...

Like everything in life different people react to it differently. I took a lot of drugs when I was young - some better (MDMA) some worse (cocaine, which is just instant asshole powder), but in middle age I personally get a lot more satisfaction from productivity than hedonism.

How you described that, is how I saw my mates go. (Also, people in the Croydon area) Tried it once only. Did nothing for me, but I saw the long term effect of my friends(& co workers). So I just get high making music, & especially I get even a higher buzz seeing my little 7yr old daughter dancing to my projects........ I think I've turned her into a Disco Dancing Queen?..... :D

• As my friends in the program say “If I could smoke like a normal man, I’d smoke all day long”

• Meet me round the back in ten minutes for a toot :D

• Jeez this is heavy... Someone wrap a doob ...

• @iamspoon said:
    Without wishing to sound pious about this, I don't think this discussion really belongs on this forum.
    For a start, In most locations it is a controlled substance and a mild hallucinogen that can cause real problems for people with certain dispositions.

>

Many things that are dangerous are also useful. That's no reason not to discuss them. For people who can regulate their cannabis intake to one or two times a week it's a great thing. More troubled personalities should probably avoid it altogether.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@iamspoon said:
    Without wishing to sound pious about this, I don't think this discussion really belongs on this forum.

>

Many things that are dangerous are also useful. That's no reason not to discuss them. For people who can regulate their cannabis intake to one or two times a week it's a great thing. More troubled personalities should probably avoid it altogether.

I’ve found through my prior work in drug and alcohol services that non discussion leads to more problems than it solves. So, I agree that it’s fair enough to be open and honest about personal experiences.

As for it being off topic, yes it is. There are however good reasons to discuss such matters as musicians do tend to be a group that commonly do come across high peer pressure to use recreational drugs. So in my opinion having discussion on peoples real life experiences could be helpful to some. I can appreciate some may not agree with my thoughts on this.

• edited January 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I had a psychotic episode on it just before I started my mental health nurses training many moons ago. One of the worst nights of my life - have never touched the stuff since. I did end up as a drug and alcohol nurse for a while though working at an assessment centre and then a prison. Pretty much until my illness cut my career short.

I have not tried thc products for their pain masking effects, as I am sure in my mind that I am genetically susceptible to further mental health issues using it

I don’t believe it had any effect on my musicality - I’ve always been musically lazy. I don’t try anywhere near hard enough to get any better. I’ve convinced myself that I’m quite content to enjoy what I do and never have any ambition to move my music to any other level than fun fun fun.

I have noticed that now I rarely use any of the more common drugs - thc, nicotine, caffeine , alcohol etc, that I have a greater enjoyment of my more natural highs like a sun set and rise while out at the lake fishing for a few days. Watching heavy rain, or the animal life around the lake has a wonderful effect on my body and mind - not for all maybe, but definitely my drug of choice, along with making music of course :)

CBD products would be the ones to look at for the psycological/medicinal benefits. THC is most likely the culprit when it comes to negative psycological reactions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol

“CBD does not appear to have any intoxicating effects such as those caused by tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and it may have a downregulating impact on disordered thinking and anxiety.[7]“

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @Tarekith As a long time viewer on the ableton forums, I'm quite surprised to hear that you're a regular smoker since you definitely don't fit into the typical stereotype. Thanks for your input!

It’s one of those things I just normally don’t have a need or desire to talk about. To me it’s really no big deal at all, couple hits on the vape before I start writing music and that’s it most of the time. As it becomes more legal in places and less stigmatized, it’s interesting to hear how other people use it or not though, especially since so many musicians I know do use it.

• edited January 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@iamspoon said:

>

With respect, I don't agree with your opinion but no problem.
    Whether it's dangerous or not isn't the issue, I just don't think it's a relevant or appropriate topic to discuss on this forum.
    But whatever.

• @AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

CBD products would be the ones to look at for the psycological/medicinal benefits. THC is most likely the culprit when it comes to negative psycological reactions.

“CBD does not appear to have any intoxicating effects such as those caused by tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and it may have a downregulating impact on disordered thinking and anxiety.[7]“

To be honest, I’m pretty much following only the medications used and trialed most for my own particular health problem nowadays. Triptans seem to be my best pain help at this time.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

To be honest, I’m pretty much following only the medications used and trialed most for my own particular health problem nowadays. Triptans seem to be my best pain help at this time.

Absolutely. Just go with what works for you.

I was mainly just pointing out for the sake of the thread how there are many compounds that have very different effects which can be filtered out for completely different uses. It is so unlike alcohol in that way, but people tend to just lump all of the 100+ potential compounds together.

• @AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I was mainly just pointing out for the sake of the thread how there are many compounds that have very different effects which can be filtered out for completely different uses. It is so unlike alcohol in that way, but people tend to just lump all of the 100+ potential compounds together.

Yeah so true. Very much like nicotine has been demonised from smoking cigarettes, yet it’s not the main issue with smoking related health problems.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yeah so true. Very much like nicotine has been demonised from smoking cigarettes, yet it’s not the main issue with smoking related health problems.

I never got into smoking but had an addiction to nicotine lozenges. The only time I ever felt physical withdrawls and i am sure it was a lot less than what smokers go through. As for creative focus... Wow, worked as advertised.

• @AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I never got into smoking but had an addiction to nicotine lozenges. The only time I ever felt physical withdrawls and i am sure it was a lot less than what smokers go through. As for creative focus... Wow, worked as advertised.

Awful to say it here, but I have to be honest - the best thing for my creative focus is staying away from the internet and sites like this! Lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Awful to say it here, but I have to be honest - the best thing for my creative focus is staying away from the internet and sites like this! Lol

It’s true for me too. :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Haha, I am on the train and have a bm3 isymphonic harp running through replicant2 and effectrix recording random slicer fodder as i type this. To me foruming is like chatting to the band mates i never had.