Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: New Gear from Elektron

edited January 2018 in Other

Looks like the Digitone is their FM Synth offering :)

Comments

• edited January 2018

Lol at cenk and the property/holiday TV show vibes ;)

Yawn on the box. Elektron gear is so predictable these days... I'd use this box if I had it and probably dig it a fair bit but far more interesting things going on for digital these days.

Elektron, my wallet thanks you! Again....

• @Iostress said:

Yawn on the box. Elektron gear is so predictable these days... I'd use this box if I had it and probably dig it a fair bit but far more interesting things going on for digital these days.

About £700 UK pounds, 1000 US Dollars!

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Iostress said:

$759 USD on the Elektron site

• @echoopera said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Iostress said:

$759 USD on the Elektron site

It came up 2800 Swedish Krona on Elektron site I saw and did a conversion, I prefer your figures !

• edited January 2018

FM synthesis based groovebox, 4 tracks, delay/reverb/chorus, filters.. and all this bellow 800€ ?? F*ck hell yeah !!!

This is till yet for me far away best thing on NAMM ! Thumbs up Elektron, GREAT product !

• @dendy said:
    FM synthesis based groovebox, 4 tracks, delay/reverb/chorus, filters.. and all this bellow 800€ ?? F*ck hell yeah !!!

This is till yet for me far away best thing on NAMM ! Thumbs up Elektron, GREAT product !

It's not a bad box. But no insert fx. 8 x voices total. Predictable FM engine with no other digital engine types. Standard elektron everything else. Could have been a lot more interesting. Elektron feature set is starting to show its age recently imho. The hands on/ui element is its saving grace.

Maybe if elektron would put a slightly more expensive cpu in their boxes they might be able to start to appear to be forward thinking again. Instead of rinsing their old formula dry.

Could buy a 2nd hand OT mki for a little more £ and use the 8 OT midi tracks to sequence 8 x Dixie instances on an iPad via BM3 hosting.... And you'd get 8 x octatrack sampler channels thrown in with the deal. Or could do stuff like route 4 dixies back through separate OT insert fx and sequence those fx while live rec buffer sequencing on to the 4 other sample tracks. And a million other things...way more appealing option for little bit more money.

Nice enough box if it's what someone's looking for and they have spare £700 hanging around but it's not for me..

• Birth control !? :o

• @Iostress said:

@dendy said:

It's not a bad box. But no insert fx. 8 x voices total. Predictable FM engine with no other digital engine types. Standard elektron everything else. Could have been a lot more interesting. Elektron feature set is starting to show its age recently imho. The hands on/ui element is its saving grace.

Maybe if elektron would put a slightly more expensive cpu in their boxes they might be able to start to appear to be forward thinking again. Instead of rinsing their old formula dry.

Could buy a 2nd hand OT mki for a little more £ and use the 8 OT midi tracks to sequence 8 x Dixie instances on an iPad via BM3 hosting.... And you'd get 8 x octatrack sampler channels thrown in with the deal. Or could do stuff like route 4 dixies back through separate OT insert fx and sequence those fx while live rec buffer sequencing on to the 4 other sample tracks. And a million other things...way more appealing option for little bit more money.

Nice enough box if it's what someone's looking for and they have spare £700 hanging around but it's not for me..

Word. My only problem with that outlook is that the iPad is rather shit for stability at this point. I wish I could rely on it and I’m waiting for Apple to get they shit together with the Pro line so I can do just what you describe there. I do love my OT mk1 and think the Digitone is a hair overpriced for what it is. If I was way richer I would snag it for sure

• Digitakt was GOTY 2017. This'll be GOTY 2018, along with the Korg Prologues of course.

• I wish this and the digitakt were one product.

• I absolutely LOVE my digitakt !!!!! But I don’t think I’ll be getting this. I’m not a fan of classic fm sounds but I’m sure elektrons workflow makes this box a lot more fun than say a dx7.
    But my next piece of gear needs to be a poly Synth. Of course I want a prologue but 2k is a lot of $$$.

• edited January 2018

If this had been more like a modern take on the FS1R I would have been interested, but as it stands I would pick 3 other Elektron products over this one.

Edit.. for those too young to remember: https://www.emusician.com/gear/yamaha-fs1r

;)

• edited January 2018

@brambos

yeah FS1r !!! Probably most complex and most powerfull synth engine ever made ...

i'm challenging you, you should do AUv3 "clone" of this ! Common, you can do it !! :-) Shapemaker or Formantmaker
    :)

• @brambos said:
    If this had been more like a modern take on the FS1R I would have been interested, but as it stands I would pick 3 other Elektron products over this one.

Edit.. for those too young to remember: https://www.emusician.com/gear/yamaha-fs1r

;)

Yep could have been an amazing little box but zero surprises. Very ‘safe’ from elektron lately.. But good for overall business I guess and there seems to be a market for these things so can’t really knock them for it. Hopefully they’ll return to their big boxes soon with something mind-blowing.

• edited January 2018

actually you don't need any surprises on fm synth .. posibilities of that sunthesis are basically endless .. plus this one have also overdrive unit + multimode filter ... its 'predictable' just for 'preset magicians' who ends with downloading some famous sysex patches from DX7 .. real posibilites of FM synthesis are basically endless, and combined with overdrive and multimode filter and chorus packed to one box .. this IS great synth

it is pointless to compare this box with iOS apps ..two different worlds ..

8 voices poly, 4 synth parts .. so for example you can do huge mono sounds by layering all 4 synth parts, and you still have 2 voices poly so you can do a little bit more than just with common mono synth

endless posibilities.. but again.. just for good sound designer, of course standard 'preset magician' ends with browsing classic presets ..

• encenc
    edited January 2018

@dendy said:

>

8 voices poly, 4 synth parts ..

>

Yeah , so does my 35 year old Casio CZ :*
    not that it's anywhere near in the same league as this but you'd think with 35 years of electronic evolution we'd be at 128 note polyphony 16 part multitimbal :) not knocking Elektron love some of their gear.

• edited January 2018

• @dendy said:

Yup :D

• @dendy said:
    actually you don't need any surprises on fm synth .. posibilities of that sunthesis are basically endless .. plus this one have also overdrive unit + multimode filter ... its 'predictable' just for 'preset magicians' who ends with downloading some famous sysex patches from DX7 .. real posibilites of FM synthesis are basically endless, and combined with overdrive and multimode filter and chorus packed to one box .. this IS great synth

it is pointless to compare this box with iOS apps ..two different worlds ..

8 voices poly, 4 synth parts .. so for example you can do huge mono sounds by layering all 4 synth parts, and you still have 2 voices poly so you can do a little bit more than just with common mono synth

endless posibilities.. but again.. just for good sound designer, of course standard 'preset magician' ends with browsing classic presets ..

I know what the possibilities are :) So funny how people keep assuming that if someone isn't interested in something then they just aren't adept sound designers... Just doesn't interest me compared to other options in this area that I aready could rig up if I wanted to. I'd rather sequence FM apps from my OT, and be able to layer them with other synth types and fx in BM3, and send those midi tracks back through OT audio tracks for extra voodoo, and save £700 for something more useful for me ;) And someone that doesn't own an OT but owns an iPad could do the same thing with a little more than £700 by buying a used mki.

Sure, I'd use it if I had it and the elektron workflow is always going to be fast and hands on, but on this box the trade offs compared to the alternatives don't personally make sense for me to grab one at that price. £400 and I'd still not be sold on it... Like I can design my FM/layered sounds while I'm sat on the toilet if I want ;) And then later use my OT to sequence those sounds to get the elektron workflow happening... Best of both and far less limited.

• In many cases i heard from somebody (don't take it personally please, i'm talking just about my personal experience with lot other people) about boring FM synthesis, it was always same story - that person just downloaded some anous DX7 sounds, and that was end of his deep FM synthesis experience ..

for me FM synthesis is for example about such PADs (thats pure FM with filter applied)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb9lhd9rojyphum/pad.wav?dl=0

Btw. currently is no one new HW synth with full FM synthesis, added some goodness like overdrive, chorus and multimode filter, with 4 parts multitimbrality available on market .. yes, you can still buy old stuff (although i cannot remember on any classic FM synth with overdrive, multimode filter and delay/reverb/chorus FXs) ..

But for those who want from variuous reasons HW FM synt is Digitone pretty great value for that money .. that is no doubt ..

• @dendy said:
    In many cases i heard from somebody (don't take it personally please, i'm talking just about my personal experience with lot other people) about boring FM synthesis, it was always same story - that person just downloaded some anous DX7 sounds, and that was end of his deep FM synthesis experience ..

for me FM synthesis is for example about such PADs (thats pure FM with filter applied)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb9lhd9rojyphum/pad.wav?dl=0

Btw. currently is no one new HW synth with full FM synthesis, added some goodness like overdrive, chorus and multimode filter, with 4 parts multitimbrality available on market .. yes, you can still buy old stuff (although i cannot remember on any classic FM synth with overdrive, multimode filter and delay/reverb/chorus FXs) ..

But for those who want from variuous reasons HW FM synt is Digitone pretty great value for that money .. that is no doubt ..

Yeah I can see its appeal for many people and its place in many different setups. Just saying it would be nice to see elektron put a bit more power in these little boxes. A bit more imagination/depth thrown in there and I'd probably have been aboard the gas train. But it's like they're using cpu/chips from 10 years ago and not much advancement in their core ideas lately...

Nice enough box tho if it ticks the right boxes, which it seems to for many. Good luck to them with the release and always interested to see what they do next. Although bug-fixing and overbridge update for new boxes would be wise to tackle first...

• I think it's a good idea to build a synth box with Digitakt workflow and flexibility, but "only" an FM engine is not what I call exciting. No sampled instruments, no PCM attacks, no modeling (a.k.a. Intellijel/AAS Plonk) - I'd rather connect an iPhone with bs-16i, iWavestation, Zeeon and a good (future) FM synth to my rig instead.

• For me, the Digitone is by far the most interesting NAMM release. FM never interested me, it's just too theoretical. The Digiton takes a new approach, not least because of the ingenious sequencer. You have knobs, effects and above all an easy to use FM engine that is predestined for Happy Accidents. I can't understand why the Digitone is always compared to the old FM monsters.

• edited January 2018

I just love that you can play 4 independent FM synth tracks on the device.
    1. track - Lead
    2. track - Bass
    3. track - Drum
    4. track - Noisey bits of grit :)

And you can still add Conditional trigs to each of the steps on each of the tracks is just mind blowing. And...you can still sequence 4 Midi channels is just icing on the cake.

All of that in a tiny little box is flat out amazing imho.

The elektron gear is the only one I know of which offer multi-tracks for their synths (Digitone, and Analog Four)

Dunno...I may have to take the plunge in a few months...saving pennies either way :)

Some cool in situ demos here:
    http://www.matrixsynth.com/2018/01/new-digitone-elektron-fm-jam-test-namm.html