Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good effects for the whole stereo mix?

I was wondering if there were any effects that are good for applying to a whole completed track, aside from what you would do in mastering. I’m thinking stuff to add character, like some special sauce.

Like Lo Fly Dirt seems like it could be good for this.

(I’m new to this but I’m thinking I’ll get Grand Finale (Klevgr) when it comes out on iOS and use as an intro to mastering.)

Comments

• Here are some universal AU options...

Character
    -Rough Rider 2 by Audio Damage
    -6144 equalizer by DDMF by Christian Siedschlag

Best Transparent Maximizer
    -Maxima by Frederic Corvest

Now if you produce on an iPad and don’t mind IAA, be sure to nab Master Record - Tape simulation recorder & effects by iMusicAlbum too. Also adds good character to a final mix.

• Cool! Thanks!

• edited January 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Here are some universal AU options...

Character

Now if you produce on an iPad and don’t mind IAA, be sure to nab Master Record - Tape simulation recorder & effects by iMusicAlbum too. Also adds good character to a final mix.

Hey how does maxima compare to something like amazing noise limiter. Do they do similar things ?

• @triton100 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Character

Hey how does maxima compare to something like amazing noise limiter. Do they do similar things ?

Well they are both limiters but they try to go in completely opposite directions: AN is brilliant at coloring stuff where FAC maxima excels in the opposite

• @mschenkel.it said:

@triton100 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Character

Well they are both limiters but they try to go in completely opposite directions: AN is brilliant at coloring stuff where FAC maxima excels in the opposite

Ah ok thanks, so AN can give like a warm overtone whereas maxima is ‘clean’ ? So I guess maybe worth looking at both for different use cases ?

• How about tape simulation?
    Master Record - Tape simulation recorder & effects
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/master-record-tape-simulation-recorder-effects/id662532945?mt=8

• edited January 2018

I find a small amount of reverb on the main output is very effective as it helps to give the perception that everything is happening in the same space. I mostly use a room algorithm for this. I'm talking very small amounts, 3-8% wet. Also helps to put the verb as the final effect in the chain. This is really useful on more traditional tracks which are not mostly synths and drum machines, especially if there are vocals and live drums involved.

• edited January 2018

@triton100 said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@triton100 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Character

Ah ok thanks, so AN can give like a warm overtone whereas maxima is ‘clean’ ? So I guess maybe worth looking at both for different use cases ?

Get both Amazing Noises Limiter and Maxima anyways. They’re cheap enough, universal, and like @mschenkel.it says, both are limiters that serve different purposes. AM Limiter is especially tasty due to being able to dial in the desired amount of saturation as well as adjust its “colour”.

Maxima is more or less the final polish, although even that AU can somewhat colour your sound depending on what filter mode you use.

@Ivan_Dj I already suggested that above. ;) It’s iPad-only though.

Another suggestion would be buying both Auria and the Saturn IAP and using Auria for the mastering stage. Saturn’s got the choice distorts contained in it, but then again that’s an iPad-only solution costing well over $50. (To most, that’s costly. To me who comes from a PC production background, Saturn on PC costs $154 alone! Auria and the Saturn IAP cost only in the double digits. You shouldn’t be needing that Starbucks more than your Saturn now. :wink: )

• This is extremely helpful, guys! This forum is a godsend. A couple months ago I hadn’t seriously considered getting an iPad.

After looking at this Forum daily since then, I now have an iPad and $100 of discounted apps and the addiction is going strong. Every day I learn very useful things in general and strengthen the notion that iPad will be a great tool for all-in production. Amazing times. Thanks.

• Loads of great FX apps, as we all know, but nothing beats Fab Filters. Good for the whole mix -

Pro MB
    Pro Q2
    Pro L

Look ‘em up, there are plenty of really good demos showing what these can do. Just remember, FF only work under Auria.

• Guys any particular order to use these FF effects on the master channel? Like ProMB Pro L and EQ?

• @triton100 said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic thanks !

No problem mate. :wink:

@Zen210507 said:
    Loads of great FX apps, as we all know, but nothing beats Fab Filters. Good for the whole mix -

Pro MB
    Pro Q2
    Pro L

Look ‘em up, there are plenty of really good demos showing what these can do. Just remember, FF only work under Auria.

Thing is, the OP is looking to add character/“special sauce” to the overall mix, not a clean mastering job. ;)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Thing is, the OP is looking to add character/“special sauce” to the overall mix, not a clean mastering job. ;)

>

Yes, Jwm, I’m with the program. ;)

But as you may know, the trio I suggested come with TONNES of presets. Mixing things up with these in unique ways, then dickering with settings to further personalise the mix can be very special indeed.

• Normal chain would be compress, eq so you don’t squash dynamics into the comp and then you even out your stuff with a limiter

• Is there anything for iPhone where you can just load an audio file and then automate some mastering type effects over the duration of the file? I’m thinking i could just get by with a decent compressor and eq, don’t need fancy stuff, I can get my stuff to punch real nicely and sound crisp and clear, looking for a wee bit of “glue”