Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nave - is it still an option?

Or to rephrase the question: would you buy it again?
What type of sounds do you use it for?

Comments

• I would, it’s pretty solid and doesn’t max out my cpu. I use it for pad stuff mainly.

• But there hasn't been an update since years. No Link, no IAA, no AUv3 makes me think twice...

• Never been tempted. PPG apps (all AU as well) and the recent Scythe wavetable synth have me covered I think.

• @dermichl said:
    But there hasn't been an update since years. No Link, no IAA, no AUv3 makes me think twice...

It does have IAA.

True, it’s unloved by the developers, but it works, and capable of some pretty amazing and unique sounds.

If you’re that fussed about what it doesn’t have, don’t get it.

• edited January 2018

@dermichl said:
    But there hasn't been an update since years. No Link, no IAA, no AUv3 makes me think twice...

What ain't broke don't need fixing, no link, iaa, au3, no problem as audiobus works fine, virtual midi is solid and it has a 4 track recorder where all 4 tracks can be exported as 1, or individually.. Extremely versatile synth, basses, bleeps, arpeggios, pads, screaming leads and even vocals, analog sounding 1min harsh digi the next .

• @MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

It does have IAA.

True, it’s unloved by the developers, but it works, and capable of some pretty amazing and unique sounds.

I'm not fussed about what it does not have in the first place. I'm fussed about paying (good ) money for an abandoned app that propably does not get fixes if iOS needs it.

• One of the best synths available, that's including hardware and vst. It never crashes or glitches and there isn't really anything to add so I wouldn't worry about updates.

I bought an iPad for this and Samplr and would buy it again even at €100 in a heartbeat. Waldorfs upcoming Quantum synth is based on this engine and costs €3,000

You will not regret buying this app!

• @dermichl said:
    I'm not fussed about what it does not have in the first place. I'm fussed about paying (good ) money for an abandoned app that propably does not get fixes if iOS needs it.

>

I think they keep it working, eventually. But no one in development seems interested in improving or updating Nave. If it was under a tenner, I’d take a punt. But Waldorf don’t join in with sales, either. :'(

• It’s never been updated to AB3 either has it?

• Seems to work fine with AB3.

• @dermichl said:

It does have IAA, in fact it has a full IAA Transport and it syncs well with a significant number of apps. It's easy to load and convert wave files into the wavetable and it has text to speech capability and lot's of ways to route modulation. TempoRubato Rolf Wöhrmann was in the development for this app and it was stable and polished right out of gate. I wish I could say the same about Waldorf Attack. Yes I'd buy Nave again in a heartbeat.

• Some cinematic experiments with Nave:

• @dermichl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

It does have IAA.

I don’t understand why you’ve started this thread. Are you actually interested in getting feedback and buying the app, or are you just having a pop at it?

It hasn’t been updated for years, but it works, has IAA and sounds great.

Buy it, don’t buy it.

• @MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

It does have IAA.

I don’t understand why you’ve started this thread. Are you actually interested in getting feedback and buying the app, or are you just having a pop at it?

Buy it, don’t buy it.

Lol agree
    I really like Nave, and it’s tons of patches out there.
    If you use it in Cubasis, you don’t need all that fancy stuff, like new updates :smile:

• @dermichl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

It does have IAA.

It doesn’t need fixes. It was incredibly good from day one :smile:
    It works like a well lubricated engine even today.
    It’s the rolls Royce of synths.

• @Kühl said:

@dermichl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

It does have IAA.

It doesn’t need fixes. It was incredibly good from day one :smile:
    It works like a well lubricated engine even today.
    It’s the rolls Royce of synths.

+1

• I love the overall aesthetic of what it does and how it does it. Just wish the audio engine were updated in Zeeon/Model15 territory. Eat my CPU please!

• edited January 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

It does have IAA.

Buy it, don’t buy it.

I was asking for opinions if you don't mind! app store description does not even mention iaa.

so at least i got a valuable information out of this thread.

• No one here finds it a little crashy? I still love it, though.

• @dermichl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@dermichl said:

It does have IAA.

Buy it, don’t buy it.

I was asking for opinions if you don't mind! app store description does not even mention iaa.

so at least i got a valuable information out of this thread.

It’s listed in the version history.

You said “I'm fussed about paying (good ) money for an abandoned app that propably does not get fixes if iOS needs it”

No-ones opinion here can change that statement, as we don’t develop it, all we can do is confirm how it works now. So if lack of recent updates is an issue for you, which it seems to be, then you shouldn’t buy it.

• @bsantoro said:
    Some cinematic experiments with Nave:

Sounds pretty great. It’s quite a powerful app. I wish I understood it better.

• @dermichl said:

I bought it long ago, but if I hadn't and was thinking of buying Nave, I'd get it for what it does rather than what it might or might not do in the future. I think that's the way to buy everything, unless you just want to support the dev on the possibility that it may some day be better or stay working. There's no guarantee any app will ever get an update.

Personally, I find Nave hard to get into even just to tweak the sounds it comes with, but that's because I'm not familiar with its workings. Initially, I even read at least some of the manual, and I didn't really get it. I bought it because, to my ears, it provides a good range of sounds I wasn't hearing otherwise on iOS. There are many YouTube videos where you can listen to it and see it in action, which should tell you far more about how impressive it is to you than anyone can possibly say here. But, in any case, if you're buying mostly with the hope it'll be updated, the odds are obviously small.

• @RUncELL said:

@dermichl said:

What ain't broke don't need fixing, no link, iaa, au3, no problem as audiobus works fine, virtual midi is solid and it has a 4 track recorder where all 4 tracks can be exported as 1, or individually.. Extremely versatile synth, basses, bleeps, arpeggios, pads, screaming leads and even vocals, analog sounding 1min harsh digi the next .

X2

Nave has had midi sync technology built in from day one anyway.

Nave is a unique synth as far as I am concerned.

It is not like any others based on sound.

The 4 track recorder is ideal.

Nave and Animoog are 2 apps that really do almost anything I can want as far as iOS synths.

Same person who did Nave did...........

well........NLOG and iSEM.

• edited January 2018

I just had a go with it again after some weeks of not touching it, and it’s still my baby. One of the best sounding synths I have. It’s really perfect for pads and wonky evolving stuff. I find it easy to get Flying Lotus style sounds out of it

• Speaking of Waldorf apps, anyone using Waldorf Attack for iOS? Still looking for a super versatile drum synth for big industrial and unique drum sounds. Also want to trigger it via MIDI with my electronic kit. Opinions?

• edited January 2018

@soundshaper said:
    Speaking of Waldorf apps, anyone using Waldorf Attack for iOS? Still looking for a super versatile drum synth for big industrial and unique drum sounds. Also want to trigger it via MIDI with my electronic kit. Opinions?

I would highly recommend Elastic Drums for this task, Impaktor, iELECTRIBE and DM2 are also very good. I bought attack on day one and unfortunately it's not in the same league as Nave. Have tried to get into it and it does have a lot going on but I find the interface annoying to use. I don't regret buying it as the rug on the loading screen really ties the room together.

• edited January 2018

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@soundshaper said:
    Speaking of Waldorf apps, anyone using Waldorf Attack for iOS? Still looking for a super versatile drum synth for big industrial and unique drum sounds. Also want to trigger it via MIDI with my electronic kit. Opinions?

I would highly recommend Elastic Drums for this task, Impaktor, iELECTRIBE and DM2 are also very good. I bought attack on day one and unfortunately it's not in the same league as Nave. Have tried to get into it and it does have a lot going on but I find the interface annoying to use. I don't regret buying it as the rug on the loading screen really ties the room together.

Thanks for the recommendations. And yes, Nave is incredible. It is a pro sounding synth that would be thousands if it were hardware.

Elastic Drums is fun to make loops, but looking for something with from-scratch synthesis ability and at least 8 voices. DM2 looks great, but I need modulation via velocity for expressive live playing. Impaktor is really cool, but has no MIDI. I’ll have to take a look at iELECTRIBE.

I guess what I’d love to find is an iOS equivalent to the Nord Drum, which is what I thought Attack might be.

• edited January 2018

@soundshaper said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@soundshaper said:

Thanks for the recommendations. And yes, Nave is incredible. It is a pro sounding synth that would be thousands if it were hardware.

Elastic Drums is fun to make loops, but looking for something with from-scratch synthesis ability and at least 8 voices. DM2 looks great, but I need modulation via velocity for expressive live playing. Impaktor is really cool, but has no MIDI. I’ll have to take a look at iELECTRIBE.

I guess what I’d love to find is an iOS equivalent to the Nord Drum, which is what I thought Attack might be.

I just opened up Attack for the first time in quite a while and my main problem is that the interface is extremely crowded on my iPad mini. Since you're planning to use midi drums and you might be using a regular iPad or Pro this might not be an issue for you.

Both oscillators, the filter and amp sections respond to velocity and you can also set the amount. Since it also has plenty of voices (24) it may well be the best option on iOS for what you are looking to do.

There is also iSpark by Arturia but I don't have that one and it's unclear looking at the features if it would work with a midi drum kit. I'm sure someone here will know more about that.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@soundshaper said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@soundshaper said:

I just opened up Attack for the first time in quite a while and my main problem is that the interface is extremely crowded on my iPad mini. Since you're planning to use midi drums and you might be using a regular iPad or Pro this might not be an issue for you.

Both oscillators, the filter and amp sections respond to velocity and you can also set the amount. Since it also has plenty of voices (24) it may well be the best option on iOS for what you are looking to do.

There is also iSpark by Arturia but I don't have that one and it's unclear looking at the features if it would work with a midi drum kit. I'm sure someone here will know more about that.

Thanks. I love the Waldorf sound so I think I may give it a try. The demos are kinda dull but I can usually coax great sounds from great synths. However I also just discovered Stroke Machine. Wow. Looks to be perfect for expressive playing since ANYTHING can be modulated with velocity, or any other source for that matter. Seems to actually be the Nord Drum of iOS.

Hope I didn’t hijack this thread about Nave. Guess I could move it to a more relevant thread.

• @soundshaper said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@soundshaper said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@soundshaper said:

Thanks. I love the Waldorf sound so I think I may give it a try. The demos are kinda dull but I can usually coax great sounds from great synths. However I also just discovered Stroke Machine. Wow. Looks to be perfect for expressive playing since ANYTHING can be modulated with velocity, or any other source for that matter. Seems to actually be the Nord Drum of iOS.

Hope I didn’t hijack this thread about Nave. Guess I could move it to a more relevant thread.

I knew I was forgetting one! I do have stroke machine and you can indeed assign velocity all over the place. The app is crazy looking if you don't change the skin to 'subdued'

I had a quick jam with both thanks to this thread and Attack sounds better to my ears but I haven't spent as much time with stroke machine.

If you haven't got refunds for apps before you always could get both to see which you prefer and return the other.