Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Quick Tip Loop Recording

So I put out a Quantiloop video yesterday showing how to easily create loops for export. Then someone told me about the Sync Quantum option in AUM. Needless to say, it deserved a video. So awesome.

Comments

• Perfect demonstration. Feel like we've needed this video several times over the last few months as different people became aware of the "AUM Perfect Loop" possibility.

• Yep, this has dramatically upped my loop creation! I also set AUM to 24bit incase I need the extra headroom/lower noise floor further down the chain.

• Another very useful thing learned. Might be an idea to change the name of the function to ‘perfect loop’ or something more obvious.

• Yes this is very helpful. B)

• Very good Mister Dabbler. Thank you.

• edited January 2018

Nice one. I new that it wouldn’t start recording until it hit 1 but didn’t realise that it would also wait until 1 before it stopped. Cheers.

• @supadom said:
    Nice one. I new that it wouldn’t start recording until it hit 1 but didn’t realise that it would also wait until before it stopped. Cheers.

Ditto. This throws me right back into the AUM adulation pool for real usefulness (for me).

• Thanks.. Will be useful since Bloc Waves was fixed..

• Great tutorial. I just made a feature request in the aum forum for an option to enter how many bars you want to record. If you play an instrument you don’t want to tap the record button to stop recording, you want aum to know when to stop.

• @gmslayton Taking a look at this led me to your other recent piece on doing the same kind of 'perfect loop' trick in Quantiloop. Good video and I followed along and achieved the desired result. My question to you is: Which way do you prefer?

• @JohnnyGoodyear I haven't used either method enough to make a decision as I just discovered the AUM trick today.

Since Quantiloop is built for live looping, if you are creating loops on the fly and want to extract different parts, then maybe Quantiloop would be a better fit since AUM can't directly playback the recorded loop without having to load up the file player first.

AUM would be more for building up drum loops or melodies, batch style. or if you already have some grooves, load them up in the file player, then test out other parts to record.

• @gmslayton said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear I haven't used either method enough to make a decision as I just discovered the AUM trick today.

Since Quantiloop is built for live looping, if you are creating loops on the fly and want to extract different parts, then maybe Quantiloop would be a better fit since AUM can't directly playback the recorded loop without having to load up the file player first.

AUM would be more for building up drum loops or melodies, batch style. or if you already have some grooves, load them up in the file player, then test out other parts to record.

Hmmm. Good counsel. I suspect, as I am a writer rather than a (live) player, the AUM method might turn into the best fit. I am simply thrilled however that this past week has been one where I've again cursed that Mister Martinez's apps are so brilliant in many ways but there is no easy way (internally) to snap out a perfect loop.

I am very fond of serendipity.

• Fussy comment: 8 bars @120 bpm should be 16 seconds

why is it 15.999 seconds long in audioshare?
    Is that actually a 'perfect loop' in that case?

• Weird. Video for this plays perfectly here, but just tried it on YouTube direct, and it’s in fast forward! All other vids I tried are normal speed.

• @iamspoon whats .001 seconds really? I will check it out and see if I notice any drifting over time. Might be a bug inside of AUM or just the way it tags the file or something.

• @gmslayton imperfect!
    Sorry to be pedantic. :p I've noticed a similar offset when exporting from other Apps to Audioshare (even with a 1 bar loop) so I hope it's just a display error.
    A millisecond error on a 1 bar loop would start to add up though over a 5-6 minute song though.

• @iamspoon said:
    @gmslayton imperfect!
    Sorry to be pedantic. :p I've noticed a similar offset when exporting from other Apps to Audioshare (even with a 1 bar loop) so I hope it's just a display error.
    A millisecond error on a 1 bar loop would start to add up though over a 5-6 minute song though.

not really. if an app time stretches it would adjust that loop to be in sync. even if you use AUMS file player it can be set to "sync" the loop fast forwarding it that 1ms to fix timing issues.

• @iamspoon Its all good. I tested out a few files this morning using Ableton Live Lite, and noticed no sync issues. even over a 5 minute period, with warp off. Not sure why they are showing up .001ms off but seems to not make a difference. I did reach out to the developer to let him know of the possible issue.

• edited January 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @iamspoon whats .001 seconds really? I will check it out and see if I notice any drifting over time. Might be a bug inside of AUM or just the way it tags the file or something

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@iamspoon said:
    @gmslayton imperfect!

not really. if an app time stretches it would adjust that loop to be in sync. even if you use AUMS file player it can be set to "sync" the loop fast forwarding it that 1ms to fix timing issues.

Even if you can't time stretch, just make sure you're duplicating or copying the entire bar, not just the audio clip. Then no drift. If you're just triggering the sample in BM or the like, 1/1000 of a second isn't noticeable.

• Even AudioShare can be off by a ms when trying to trim for perfect loops. If I hit rewind before saving, this almost always resolves the problem. TwistedWave can be an excellent tool for fixing minor glitches like these as well.

• edited August 2018

I am really interested for a faster way to loop each AUM channel and play it back (for live Performing situations). I don’t own AB yet and I wouldn’t like to create a complex chain of 2-3 apps for that purpose. I guess an AUv3 looper will be the perfect solution but not available yet. Any suggestions/workarounds?

• @YannisHatzi I think that is one of the Holy Grail app wishes at the moment. We have so many amazing loopers but they usually do not coincide with our production kind of workflow, especially inside of AUM. I am messing around with Quantiloop some more and I think it can hold its on as a loop solution.

What are you wanting to loop? How complex is your AUM setup?

I think the best solution or easiest solution that I am working on is to have Quantiloop in the background, listening to an AUM channel and controlling most, if not all of Quantiloop via a physical midi controller. Then you can just keep AUM in the foreground and not have to worry about app switching.

I will do a video once I get some kinks worked out but it would basically be like having an RC-505 or something.

• This is a great tip. now if Aum could make an option to instantly send the loop , just recorded to a new channel, it would be perfect!

• @eross That would be a pretty sweet option. I would pay money for that integration. @j_liljedahl

• edited August 2018

@gmslayton said:
    @YannisHatzi I think that is one of the Holy Grail app wishes at the moment. We have so many amazing loopers but they usually do not coincide with our production kind of workflow, especially inside of AUM. I am messing around with Quantiloop some more and I think it can hold its on as a loop solution.

What are you wanting to loop? How complex is your AUM setup?

I think the best solution or easiest solution that I am working on is to have Quantiloop in the background, listening to an AUM channel and controlling most, if not all of Quantiloop via a physical midi controller. Then you can just keep AUM in the foreground and not have to worry about app switching.

I will do a video once I get some kinks worked out but it would basically be like having an RC-505 or something.

Nothing complex here...few AUM channels of various apps (synths, drums, Fx and a mic). Not any hardware inputs either.
    I wish we had the opportunity to loop each channel on the fly...and build different variations of that certain channels in the background (tweak..rec...play..repeat). Like a RC-505...as you said.
    I am not a fun of the linear/DAW like...performing. Where everything is pre-recorded.
    I saw your Quantiloop video and tried to test the AUM listening channel workflow but it seemed a bit of a fuzz for my taste (switching apps and various pressing modes etc).
    I am sure your video will be quite informative. Looking forward to it! Cheers!

• @gmslayton said:
    @eross That would be a pretty sweet option. I would pay money for that integration. @j_liljedahl

same here!

• @eross said:

@gmslayton said:
    @eross That would be a pretty sweet option. I would pay money for that integration. @j_liljedahl

same here!

+1! We wouldn’t even need another app!

• @YannisHatzi said:

@eross said:

@gmslayton said:

same here!

+1! We wouldn’t even need another app!

agreed , it would be nice and simple, and keep everything contained in one app.

• I know I'm super late to the party here but I really appreciate you taking the time to show this, I knew AUM could do this but had no idea how.

• Currently, AUM+AB3+Loopy is a great setup for seamless realtime loop recording playback. Automatically advance from loop to loop as you record. You can setup a channel in AUM for each track or just one for the stereo return. You can change loop multiple from the palette, too. No menu diving or app switching needed.

See: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32020/loopy-aum-ab3-great-looping-setup#latest