Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[DM2] Anyone ever get into Drones?

When the drone feature was introduced to DM2 in update 1.6 (I think it was) I decided to give it a go, but I was never really able to create something I really liked. Then I picked up Sound, Field, and SynthScaper and DM2 sorted of fell off the map.

Did anyone ever spend some time with this feature? Might be worth a revisit, but would love some tips. I did see the soundtestroom video, as well as a few others, but I am looking for more. anyone?

Comments

• I remember I was completely overwhelmed by the noise and sound it offers. Then I muted all pads but one and started shaping this. And then I added another. One at a time.
    I would say three are enough and with the modulation window you can bring in some movement to your creations. Let me know if this was helpful :)

• edited January 2018

Drone machine is only for creative people that know what to do with these drones :p

It is simply playing all drum generators simultaneously in "sound freeze" mode. You can use the mixer to adjust the levels of each drum generator or mute/solo them, and on the Drums page, tweak the synthesis engine e.g, while listening to a soloed drum track.
    It's like an additive drone synth with 9 independently adjustable sound generators.
    These drone sounds get most interesting when you export/sample them in a different app and make something new out of them. Take GrooveRider or BM3 or Modstep or Effectrix for example and add envelopes, filters, stutters and who knows what FX.

• I notice that the drones only make sound when I hit play, but that even if all mixer channels are set to zero, I still get a single tone that seems to be set around “B” (but pretty flat). Anyway to turn that off?

• No, must be a bug indeed!

• @Pascal@Audionomy: Could you check that please?

• Haha, all this time I thought this was normal behaviour, but I just tried it on my old 3rd Generation iPad and there was no constant droning. Unfortunately, the developer's website seems to be down, with no way to contact them... I hope this hasn't been abandoned.

@Pascal@Audionomy if you happen to see this, I am experiencing a loud sine wave type noise whenever I hit the play button in Drone mode, even when all channels are muted, and faders at zero. It has always been that way I feel.

Device details: iPad Mini 4, iOS 11.2.2, 132GB
    I have tried removing and reinstalling, but the problem still exists.

No issues with iPad 3rd Generation, iOS 9.3.5, 64GB

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot.

• @DYMS said:
    Haha, all this time I thought this was normal behaviour, but I just tried it on my old 3rd Generation iPad and there was no constant droning. Unfortunately, the developer's website seems to be down, with no way to contact them... I hope this hasn't been abandoned.

True, but Pascal is aware of the issue and he's going to have a look.
    DM2 is not dead, the recent v1.7.1 has just been released a week ago.

• DM2 drones is strictly to be used as a weapon of last resort.

• @rs2000 said:
    True, but Pascal is aware of the issue and he's going to have a look.
    DM2 is not dead, the recent v1.7.1 has just been released a week ago.

Sorry, didn't mean to be reactionary. Always just worry when I try the support site linked to from apple store and the website is gone or down. You are correct though, I looked through my App history the other day and could see that it was updated not long ago, so I am sure they will sort it out when he is able to.

Appreciate all the help.

• I would like to have some automation in the app. Or did i miss something?

• @VincentT said:
    I would like to have some automation in the app. Or did i miss something?

By automation do you mean the ability to change parameters while recording and then have those changes playback, or the ability control parameters in the app?

Update 1.6 brought midi mapping, so you can control things with midi, which could allow for external automation once mapped.

• @DYMS said:

@VincentT said:
    I would like to have some automation in the app. Or did i miss something?

By automation do you mean the ability to change parameters while recording and then have those changes playback, or the ability control parameters in the app?

Update 1.6 brought midi mapping, so you can control things with midi, which could allow for external automation once mapped.

I meant automation like in gadget. I wasn't aware of the midi mapping.

• Looks like the most recent update, which showed up in the AppStore today, fixed the extra drone tone. Looking forward to getting into it further now that there isn’t a constant tone playing in the background.

Thanks @Pascal@Audionomy

• They make it sound amazing.
    I have not even ccome close

• @reasOne said:
    They make it sound amazing.

Try muting all channels but one. And start from there. If you have them all running and unmuted... boy this is a mess :smiley:

• Anyone else do anything with the drone functionality? I’ve seen Doug’s and the promo vid, be interested to see/hear what anyone else has done with it.

• @david_2017 said:

@reasOne said:

Try muting all channels but one. And start from there. If you have them all running and unmuted... boy this is a mess :smiley:

Haha ya man deff can't go all in on all at once, pure trash 😂😂
    I was avle to get some cool sounds, I think using midi control with knobs on a few channels would help

• @reasOne said:

@david_2017 said:

@reasOne said:

Haha ya man deff can't go all in on all at once, pure trash 😂😂
    I was avle to get some cool sounds, I think using midi control with knobs on a few channels would help

I put it into the AUM Machine and then hooked an EOS 2 after it, makes it more droney ;)

• oh and you will go a long way with this: go to the edit screen of the synth, then go from Hz to the Keyboard layout and you can choose your note and key.
    Try this too, get yourself a copy of the brilliant autopad app which is for free right now. put a pad under it and use the root note, the 5th and some octaves to complement. That sounds quite nice I think

• Great tips, @david_2017...
    Another good option to spice it up is Kai Ara's RE-1

• @senhorlampada said:
    Great tips, @david_2017...
    Another good option to spice it up is Kai Ara's RE-1

Thank you, Sir. Yeah I threw Kai's RE-1 right behind right after I posted the comment above, haha sounds awesome and make it more dronelike!
    I really like this, glad I revisited the DM2 Droneroom :)