Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Pong of Music

If you have a look at this video: (start at 1m14s if it doesn’t already)
And if you remember what Pong and the like was (apparently preceded by the Magnavox Odyssey, and followed by decades of law suits between the two).

You know about Animoog, and the “Path” in that (not the “orbit”, which is merely an eccentric wobbulation around the path). The path traverses wave positions in wave tables (in the X), and indeed (in the Y), entire different wave table sequences.

You might also know about the “Morph” in the iWavestation, which similarly uses a drawn path to traverse across the axes over time or duration.

Now, imagine that an iOS app were a kind of reactive or responsive sequencer which relied on a drawn path to traverse a meaningful grid of events or transitions or permutations. However, the path was not actually “drawn”, but the ever changing result of the left-behind path of the ball of two people playing a game at that time of performance.

Comments

• If you set the paddles of Pong right it would loop. My first “drum machine”.

• Man, that was awesome! Totally fascinating and frightening simultaneously.

• Loren Carpenter invented fractal landscape techniques while at Boeing in the 80’s, then went on to co-found Pixar Animation Studios. Amazing genius.

• edited January 2018

Amazing! Thanx for the video tip. I even got past the blonde at 0:26

In 20 years time I expect to make a zip file of my brain and upload it to the net... before I cryo (cry Oh) my body.