Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Crash Issues: Since Update

What's up!

I am having an odd crash issue. I think since the update but can't know for sure.

Being that I have a few devices and things happening I am hoping for some cooberating accounts with any of you.

I believe it to be Audiobus 2.

Only because my whole set up(all the apps on that iPad running) go "poof" and in a second I have a black screen and no sound.

Upon returning to the normal layout view of my iPad and apps I hit the home button.

ALL BUT THE AUDIOBUS 2 are in the state they were in the moment I lost them.

Do you also feel this looks like an AB2 issue?

Or is it random that AB2 is the only app that shuts down while others stay in prior state?

I have noticed some other odd things since the update here and there but this one happened twice now.

And at the worst time ever.

I almost feel like the audio input into the app causes it to shut down.

I have AUM running into AB2, several instances of Loopy HD in the output, Genome, and Animoog open.

So, it is not really being pushed that way.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited January 2018

I'm genuinely curious whether Audiobus2 is even supported at this point.....
    I Hope the devs get you sorted out :)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm genuinely curious whether Audiobus2 is even supported at this point.....
    I Hope the devs get you sorted out :)

I never asked

I didn't want to put Micheal on the spot.

But, since you brought it up.

This would be a great opportunity............................ ;)

• Can you pinpoint exactly what were you doing when the crash happened?

I used to have Ab3 crashes with presets involving aum and Loopy. This would happen on session load though and happened roughly 10-20% of the time.

It stopped happening when I excluded AUM from the preset. I'm not saying that it is AUMs fault but Audiobus and AUM might not be as good companions as they're often presented as.

• @supadom said:
    Can you pinpoint exactly what were you doing when the crash happened?

I used to have Ab3 crashes with presets involving aum and Loopy. This would happen on session load though and happened roughly 10-20% of the time.

It stopped happening when I excluded AUM from the preset. I'm not saying that it is AUMs fault but Audiobus and AUM might not be as good companions as they're often presented as.

Agree 100%

Similar anomaly but different.

Yes short answer............AUM is a no go in AB2 presets for multiple reasons.

Yes, I am using Loopy and AUM.

However, I always have. Much like you.

But these crash issues started immediately after latest iOS update.

I can't use AB3 because well that doesn't need to be hashed again.

AB2 is what I need.

• Was this a big leap from ios 10 or just another step within 11?

By the way me and Michael never managed to get to the bottom of those crashes, despite me sending him massive system analysis files over Dropbox. It didn't help that I seemed to be the only one experiencing those.

• I’m just updating my pro 10.5 to latest. Wish me luck. Will report back.

• Speaking of analysis files.. @RUST( i )K, would you send me your Audiobus crashlogs?

• Updated to 11. (I know @michael but I had to face the music, had latency lags in non Audiobus scenarios). All seems fine, sessions load good, no crashes or crackles. Just that loopy session tempo bug ;)

• Nice!

Oh, yes, sorry I haven't responded to that email yet - that's the one where a Loopy session loaded from an AB preset gets its tempo from Link, rather than the other way around, right? Haven't sorted that yet, but will shortly. It's actually a difficult thing to get right, because the Link documentation stresses that it's important to not clobber a pre-existing Link session's setup, and specifically forbids this behaviour.

• edited January 2018

@Michael said:
    Nice!

Oh, yes, sorry I haven't responded to that email yet - that's the one where a Loopy session loaded from an AB preset gets its tempo from Link, rather than the other way around, right? Haven't sorted that yet, but will shortly. It's actually a difficult thing to get right, because the Link documentation stresses that it's important to not clobber a pre-existing Link session's setup, and specifically forbids this behaviour.

I think you did :) I’ll wait. I know it’s a bummer but since Loopy and Link aren’t exactly a match made in haven (maintaining pitch with tempo change etc.) you’re probably be ok bending some rules. You’ll get away because it’s YOU :)

Looking out for beta now that I’m on 11. Soonish.

• Hehe, yeah, that's pretty much the plan =D

• I spoke too fast. Marked change in battery drain and crackles when swiping between apps.
    I really think this is a graphic issue as when running a system monitoring app I only had spikes while moving between apps otherwise RAM as well as CPU would hover between 10 and 20%.

This is absolutely ridiculous.