Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why don’t they make demo/instruction videos like this anymore?

This is how iMPC pro and BM3 should do it :smiley:

Comments

• Why don’t they? For the same reason that high quality component hi-fi makers never deliver an app that is any use.

• edited January 2018

at that pace it might take a day or more for most current apps o:)
    But there's also a conceptual difference that prohibits this approach:
    machines like the MPC60 were designed as full solutions, while software has become just a starting point of releasing 'something' to trigger interest. Which then might be continued.
    Very few apps seem well-conceived and trade some limits for great functionality.
    SamplR is a famous example... ;)

• But don’t you just feel calm and in control at the end of it.. Totally the opposite of how I feel after opening BM3

• edited January 2018

It's all about tools - which (often) happened to be more straight during the days of the MPC60.
    There used to be exactly one way to do something, now 3 or more are the rule.
    Or things are hidden behind several screens before you arrive at the point to apply your intended action.

Not to forget the amount of distraction current developers face: everything is multitasked and networked - a million events to be handled, even if they don't apply to an app's purpose.
    This draws a significant amount of attention away from the original core idea(s).
    You not only have to finish your project, but make it fit a colaborative environment - see frequent calls for various midi/audio exchange channels and all that.

It's difficult to guess a workflow just from a simple glance at the screen of an(y) app.
    Had to kearn this myself with Pro Tools recently, which initially appeared as a complete mess. One needs time and attention and then things will reveal.
    There's no need to master every aspect of an app immediately ;)

• GAS kills education I guess - If people still had to work for three months only to be able to purchase such a machine, we would certainly see more efforts in sales, presentation and education.
    Today, the simple fact that an app is new and remotely matches my pattern can be enough reason to purchase it.
    There are still good tutorial videos for other products, but I agree: The supply for BM3 tuts leaves a lot to be desired. Combine this with today's shorter attention span and you have more complaints.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    But don’t you just feel calm and in control at the end of it.. Totally the opposite of how I feel after opening BM3

Agreed :wink:

• Nah, Sir Doug all the way for me.

Actually, His Frigidlegumeness doing one in this style (including fashion/haircut) would be very welcome and might well boost the Patreonage.

• There are a number of factors, but I think cost cutting is the #1 reason you don't see as many good tutorials these days. The same thing is happening to technical support and customer service.

• Why don’t they make demo/instruction videos like this anymore?

Obviously, you haven't come across any of mine :D the pace on mine is even slower :s

• I highly recommend approaching BM3 in a step by step learning sort of way. I was trying to apply everything I’ve learned with Cubasis, Auria to BM3 and while most applies, BM3 forces you to think differently. I don’t quite understand why but once you get over that hurdle, it opens up.

I was watching the Audio dabbler’s BM3 tutorials and wanted to know how to apply effects to individual pads and I learned how to. But I need to do it often to have it finally stick. I think the problem is not the app, it really is us having too many choices. Which is good and bad. Imagine you only had BM3 , you’d put all your undivided attention to learn everything about it. But since other DAWS are calling we give up fast and follow the path of least resistance :D

@BiancaNeve said:
    But don’t you just feel calm and in control at the end of it.. Totally the opposite of how I feel after opening BM3

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I was watching the Audio dabbler’s BM3 tutorials and wanted to know how to apply effects to individual pads and I learned how to. But I need to do it often to have it finally stick.

Can you post that link? I need to see this. Would really change my workflow

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    Can you post that link? I need to see this. Would really change my workflow

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/22508/beatmaker-3-songwriting-series

• Cuckoo sometimes makes long and educational videos (check out his FM4 video for example). Also, developer of Caustic makes really good videos.

• Because as a whole people are either stupid, lazy, have limited attention spans, and/or want immediate gratification.

I think the BM3 reference is a good one.

I find that BM3 is really lacking in thorough videos and tutorials.

• Most can't even be bothered to do demos of their own creation but I enjoy Igor vasilevs and the neo soul keys demos very much, not to mention retronyms are excellent.

• I think it is hard to produce in-depth tutorial videos for free. You are probably just looking for free tutorials. All of the best tutorial videos I have seen on most any subject required purchase of a DVD, VHS tape, or paid access to a website. Those are still around I believe, but I also mostly seek out the free ones, which very widely in info and quality.

• edited January 2018

Here’s another one, more recent, but in a similar style by the same guy. I think his name is Roger something.