Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Node Bypass via MIDI

AB and AUM have so far been awesome. I’ve been trying to setup everything for my live set, but I can’t for the life of me figur out how to assign a MIDI CC to bypass a node/effect in AUM. This is essential for me so I can enable or disable effects with my foot switch while I play. Also I want to have my sequencer do this automatically sometimes. I have been able to map everything else but this. Any ideas?

Comments

• Maybe automate the wet/dry mix if the FX app supports it?

Or, better yet, place the FX in a separate channel then place a Bus Send to route the signal to it. Then you can either set the send amount to zero when you don't want the FX, or mute/unmute the FX channel. BUT, make sure that your FX has a wet/dry setting and that it is set to 100% wet, or you'll get doubled up dry sound.

The advantage of the second approach is you can share that FX with other channels if you like, and just automate the send amount on each as needed.

I hope that explanation makes sense. I'm short on time right now or I'd put together some screen shots. If you need clarification I can try later, or maybe someone else will jump in.

• edited January 2018

@wim said:
    Maybe automate the wet/dry mix if the FX app supports it?

Or, better yet, place the FX in a separate channel then place a Bus Send to route the signal to it. Then you can either set the send amount to zero when you don't want the FX, or mute/unmute the FX channel. BUT, make sure that your FX has a wet/dry setting and that it is set to 100% wet, or you'll get doubled up dry sound.

The advantage of the second approach is you can share that FX with other channels if you like, and just automate the send amount on each as needed.

I hope that explanation makes sense. I'm short on time right now or I'd put together some screen shots. If you need clarification I can try later, or maybe someone else will jump in.

Thanks. I’m certainly familiar with workarounds using busses and signal flow trickery. But for my guitar I don’t want to have to use a separate track for each effect. I’m using maybe six effects in a row, plus I’ve got other hardware synths coming in for processing and software synths too. Was just hoping to assign a CC to the bypass just like if you were manually sliding the node over to the left before ejecting.

Some effects have a bypass button which can prob be assigned but none of the Audio Damage ones do.

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@soundshaper said:

@wim said:
    Maybe automate the wet/dry mix if the FX app supports it?

Thanks. I’m certainly familiar with workarounds using busses and signal flow trickery. But for my guitar I don’t want to have to use a separate track for each effect. I’m using maybe six effects in a row, plus I’ve got other hardware synths coming in for process

Do the FX you use have automatable wet/dry control or bypass? If so that's the most direct solution.

(I wouldn't exactly call using busses and signal flow "workaround" and "trickery". That's pretty standard stuff.)

• edited January 2018

Yes they have wet dry. So I could send a CC value of either 0 or 127 to essentially do the same eh? That’s a good idea. I was hoping though to have a single button toggle on off. I think this would require two buttons.

• @soundshaper said:
    Yes they have wet dry. So I could send a CC value of either 0 or 127 to essentially do the same eh? That’s a good idea. I was hoping though to have a single button toggle on off. I think this would require two buttons.

I don't know what fx app and controller you're using but could you program the controller to toggle mode? Not sure if that might work but maybe worth a try?

• @supadom said:

@soundshaper said:

I don't know what fx app and controller you're using but could you program the controller to toggle mode? Not sure if that might work but maybe worth a try?

Yes! Actually I’m using a Roland FC-200 foot controller and it has a toggle setting for each button that sends out 0 and 127, toggling back and forth. Only problem is, I may not want 100% mix in each effect. Actually I rarely want that.

I’m mainly using the Audio Damage AUv3 plug-ins like Grind and Dubstation.

• Hi....similar issue here. I want to be able to toggle a filter on and off. But the AUM built in filter (and other 3rd party AU filter apps) only has ccs for frequency and resonance....no bypass option. Filters are not like reverbs and delays which generally have wet/dry controls so I can't figure a way of just switching them in and out without muting the entire signal.
    Audiobus mixer has 'bypass' buttons that can be midi automated.

• @soundshaper said:

@supadom said:

@soundshaper said:

Yes! Actually I’m using a Roland FC-200 foot controller and it has a toggle setting for each button that sends out 0 and 127, toggling back and forth. Only problem is, I may not want 100% mix in each effect. Actually I rarely want that.

You can adjust the range of the CC->parameter mapping from the default 0-100% to anything you like.

But yes, MIDI control of node bypass is (still) on my TODO list!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@soundshaper said:

@supadom said:

@soundshaper said:

You can adjust the range of the CC->parameter mapping from the default 0-100% to anything you like.

But yes, MIDI control of node bypass is (still) on my TODO list!

Thanks! The newest update is still great!

• Why not use AB? As @jazubon says, bypass buttons are midi learnable. I could be missing something important....

• I have been using AB for ages....but over the last year, for whatever reasons, it has become more time consuming to load sessions in AB because my IAA apps like Gadget and Group The Loop and AUFX-DUB etc etc very often don't open. ('restart' 'Recovering' etc). In AUM, these apps open without a hitch every time, first time.

In AB it is also possible to open an app window via midi. That would be great to see in AUM,,,so useful.

• @jazubon said:
    In AB it is also possible to open an app window via midi. That would be great to see in AUM,,,so useful.

It is in the new version - i played with that functionality last night.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@jazubon said:

Only for AU plugins though. Audiobus can do it for AB compatible apps as well. This is indeed a phenomenally wonderful thing.

• @wim said:

@jazubon said:

Only for AU plugins though. Audiobus can do it for AB compatible apps as well. This is indeed a phenomenally wonderful thing.

I wanted to add the same functionality for IAA apps as well, but there is no way to have an action to go back to AUM in that case. On iOS, an app is only allowed to bring-to-foreground other apps, not itself! AB works around it by their own SDK, so it's actually the node app that calls back to AB.

• @soundshaper said:

@supadom said:

@soundshaper said:

I’m mainly using the Audio Damage AUv3 plug-ins like Grind and Dubstation.

That's where McMillen's soft step comes in. You can set the min and max values in the software editor.

• @MrBlaschke said:

@jazubon said:

I also played around with it in the new AUM version, using KB-1 drum pads to switch between different AU apps. Nice workflow! Next step is to try this from phone over bluetooth or network midi, since some latency wouldn't matter here.

@ka010, the above works with midi notes from the drum pads, but PC messages would be cleaner (and AUM has PC as the default for "Show plugin"). If you were to add PC as an output option for the drum pads, and perhaps also allow for custom colors of each pad, then this would be a sweet app controller for AUM.

• Interesting...I can't see 'show plugin' anywhere...I've got version 1.2.8 (161) where might it be? thanks

• @jazubon said:
    Interesting...I can't see 'show plugin' anywhere...I've got version 1.2.8 (161) where might it be? thanks

It's in the 1.3.0 update that was released yesterday.

• How would I midi learn a rotary on my midi controller for a synth to change presets/ sounds using the PC function inside AUM.

I’m aware not all synths let you do this not sure which ones do ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    How would I midi learn a rotary on my midi controller for a synth to change presets/ sounds using the PC function inside AUM.

I’m aware not all synths let you do this not sure which ones do ?

PC is just a kind of MIDI message, what you map it to is totally up to you. You can map CC, Note or PC to "Load preset" actions of AU plugins. When mapping CC this way it will act as a trigger only though, because "Load Preset" is a trigger-action. You could probably use a StreamByter script to generate PC messages with different values when rotating a CC knob, though.

• @bleep said:

@MrBlaschke said:

@jazubon said:

I also played around with it in the new AUM version, using KB-1 drum pads to switch between different AU apps. Nice workflow! Next step is to try this from phone over bluetooth or network midi, since some latency wouldn't matter here.

@ka010, the above works with midi notes from the drum pads, but PC messages would be cleaner (and AUM has PC as the default for "Show plugin"). If you were to add PC as an output option for the drum pads, and perhaps also allow for custom colors of each pad, then this would be a sweet app controller for AUM.

Nice, sounds great, noted!

• Hi, I'm trying to achieve something similar, controlling Bypasses on channels or bus sends using mapping from Camelot (v2 beta which i'm testing out).

I can successfully toggle Bypasses by CC mapping, as described in the AUM manual, HOWEVER: toggling means if I get out of sync between Camelot & Aum for any reason (ie changing the sequence of commands sent by Camelot), I'll be constantly in the opposite state to where I want to be.

It would be better to be able to send a definite ON/OFF command. Which means if it's already off when I send an off command, it's not going to turn on instead!

Can I map CCs to Bypasses to operate as (for example) CC0 = Bypass On (ie, channel off) and CC 127 = Bypass Off (ie channel on)?

Does that make sense? Quite new to all this, so appreciate any help.

• @stalkpiece said:
    Hi, I'm trying to achieve something similar, controlling Bypasses on channels or bus sends using mapping from Camelot (v2 beta which i'm testing out).

I can successfully toggle Bypasses by CC mapping, as described in the AUM manual, HOWEVER: toggling means if I get out of sync between Camelot & Aum for any reason (ie changing the sequence of commands sent by Camelot), I'll be constantly in the opposite state to where I want to be.

It would be better to be able to send a definite ON/OFF command. Which means if it's already off when I send an off command, it's not going to turn on instead!

Can I map CCs to Bypasses to operate as (for example) CC0 = Bypass On (ie, channel off) and CC 127 = Bypass Off (ie channel on)?

Does that make sense? Quite new to all this, so appreciate any help.

Yes, just deactivate the "TOGGLE" button at the bottom right where you set up the mapping. CC value 0-63 will mean off and value 64-127 means on.

• Thanks so much! I thought I'd tried that, but maybe had something the wrong way round. (Speaking of which, the Invert function is proving very useful now, so I can follow a more logical (to me) system of 127 = On (ie Bypass off) and 0 = Off (ie Bypass on).