Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

By the time you’re done with a song, are you sick of hearing it?

Or is your most recent song your new favorite, even though you’ve just listened to it 437 times to get the mix right?

I don’t know, maybe I’m getting old or something. But it used to be that I would get sick to death of my own songs pretty quickly. Now, though, it seems each one is my new favorite, at least until I start on the next one.

Anyway, I was thinking today about how my perspective has changed, and was wondering how other people feel about their own stuff after working hard to get a song out the door.

Still love it, or sick of hearing it?

Finishing the mix, does it change how you feel about your song?
  1. After finalizing a song, do you love it or are you sick of it?20 votes
    1. Love! My newest song is my favorite song!
      45.00%
    2. Barf! If I hear it one more time I will break something expensive!
      55.00%

Comments

• I usually find that if I'm sick of hearing a track at the mixing stage, that's not a good sign. It means that particular song is destined to the "commit to oblivion" bin faster than the rest.

But then again sometimes I can fall in love with something I've made, only to really hate it a few months later. Generally it requires at least a few months worth of hindsight to judge the work objectively. Some things aren't as bad as you remember, and many things are not as good.

• I can’t really speak about this since it has been ages since the last finished tune I made. But I probably would vote for both: I’m in love with my last creation but I won’t be a able to listen to it one more time but for self propaganda

• At the moment I finish something that's when I am sick of it or vise-versa.

• I can't respond to the poll because the choices are too extreme.

What happens to me is at some point I stop actually hearing the song. Whereas when I was producing it I would focus in on various parts, and how the whole fits together, by the time I'm happy enough with the mix, I start to tune out. But, I don't think I get to the point of having put in that much work only to think it's rubbish. I quit a long time before that if so.

• Definitely of the, “my new favourite” group. I enjoy the entire process. I’m also like @richardyot, I go back a few months later and see how I truly feel. Same when I’m writing fiction - there, I actually do need to put something down for a while before I actually finish it, otherwise I lose objectivity completely.

• Never, my family is though. They’re being nice about it though and generally dig the tracks.

• I'm sick of it before I start recording it. The recording is instrumental to the process of getting it out of my head and putting it somewhere else.

• defo. But often i enjoy coming back to the tracks - the good uns - after several months.

• edited January 2018

I love almost all of my tracks and can listen to them enough times to drive everyone around me insane...right up until I record vocals on them. It’s not that I’m a bad singer, either, but I just have a hard time enjoying listening to myself. Of course, that’s also what typically signifies completion. Probably a sign that I should seek another person to handle the lyrics and vocals...

• I usually like stuff better listening back to it months or years later when I have kind of forgotten it, usually pleasantly suprised but cringe level listening back does increase generally with the age of some tracks

• I love to listen to my songs many times, even after they are finished. I don't get sick of them at all. Also, I love to listen to my unfinished tunes and the 8-bar id ideas.

• I'm making the music that I love, so I love listening to it...