Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

X-Station

Comments

• best thing- you dont need a desktop editor for anything xstation. its all on-device

• edited October 2020

@supadom A couple of questions...

• Do you mean to change the MIDI channel on the fly in performance, or assigning in Setup?
    • Changing the MIDI channel of the keyboard or the controls?

As mentioned already, all of the knobs, sliders and buttons can send out MIDI in controller mode. And these can be either CC, NRPN, RPN, SYSEX (up to 20 bytes), Notes On/Off, Program Change, MMC.

You can change the MIDI channel of all controls globally really quickly by using the INST CHANNEL / CURSOR increment/decrement buttons.

Changing the MIDI channel on individual controls via the EDIT menu is fairly swift too.

Also highlighted earlier were the numerous button modes, Step (value), Toggle, Momentary etc.

You can DM me or @me here if you any further questions. Happy to help.

• edited October 2020

@SpookyZoo consider stuff open in tech threads (no PM) , this will help others with the same questions * B) but then again, im no forum police, so do what y'all want

• edited October 2020

@noob said:
    @SpookyZoo consider stuff open in tech threads (no PM) , this will help others with the same questions * B) but then again, im no forum police, so do what y'all want

• @noob said:

You’re right of course. 👍

• Cheers all. I’ve just bought one on eBay. Picking up tomorrow. I have a feeling I’ll sell it on but want to try it as a sole Drambo controller. I’ll report back.

• @supadom said:
    Cheers all. I’ve just bought one on eBay. Picking up tomorrow. I have a feeling I’ll sell it on but want to try it as a sole Drambo controller. I’ll report back.

Cool. Did you grab a bargain? What size?

• @SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:
    Cheers all. I’ve just bought one on eBay. Picking up tomorrow. I have a feeling I’ll sell it on but want to try it as a sole Drambo controller. I’ll report back.

25 £100

• @supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

25 £100

Nice!

• @SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

25 £100

Nice!

Yes, it was collection only at about 10 miles from me so being the only bidder might have helped.

So, impressions so far are pretty good. I like the fact that some of the synth knobs and buttons have several 'pages' which is super handy. I like the idea that it can be programmed from the unit itself.

One thing I'm not too keen on is the fact that the midi channel is fixed for the controls and doesn't change with the keyboard. At least this is my impression and hope someone here will prove me wrong. I can see though, that with a bit of work one could set up several templates and use those to change midi channels, each with its own set of CCs for knobs and buttons.

I'm not sure if this is going to replace my current combo of controllers (launch key mini/nanokontrol and floor pedal) but definitely worth giving it a go. The only reason I'm looking for an alternative rig because my current rig can be occasionally shaky power wise and I haven't yet found why. Well, building rigs is fun anyway.

• edited October 2020

yea rtfm in this case, esp about templates. saves you hours of hassle, and fire up desktop editor too, easier to tweak templates and the editor comes loaded with synth daw templates to transfer (ableton,logic,iKorg etc),
    OT the XS got a built in battery charger :) use rechargeable batteries

• @supadom said:

One thing I'm not too keen on is the fact that the midi channel is fixed for the controls and doesn't change with the keyboard. At least this is my impression and hope someone here will prove me wrong. I can see though, that with a bit of work one could set up several templates and use those to change midi channels, each with its own set of CCs for knobs and buttons.

Use the INST CHANNEL / CURSOR arrows to in/decrement a MIDI Channel to override all controls and keyboard. So if your template had the Keys set to MIDI Channel 1 and a slider to Channel 16 say, then using these arrows to change like in pic below will set both Keys and Slider to Channel 5.

Sometimes though the method of using several templates works well too. It's really a flexible controller in many scenarios.

• Oh wow, cool man @SpookyZoo. That changes everything! Cheers.

• @supadom said:
    Oh wow, cool man @SpookyZoo. That changes everything! Cheers.

Cool. Let me know how you get on. I think this should work as above out of the box, but if you have any issues I can dig in and see if I have any particular settings turned on.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

Cool. Let me know how you get on. I think this should work as above out of the box, but if you have any issues I can dig in and see if I have any particular settings turned on.

But hang on, do you think there is a way of setting up some buttons to ignore the midi channel change? I know I just asked the exact opposite, but some of the buttons such as transport mutes etc. might do with having fixed settings. I’ll get reading the manual, anyhow. Cheers.

• @supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

But hang on, do you think there is a way of setting up some buttons to ignore the midi channel change? I know I just asked the exact opposite, but some of the buttons such as transport mutes etc. might do with having fixed settings. I’ll get reading the manual, anyhow. Cheers.

I think this where the multiple template approach wins out. This allows you to have a mixed palette of controls that is easy to switch between.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

I think this where the multiple template approach wins out. This allows you to have a mixed palette of controls that is easy to switch between.

Yes, I think you right. The ins midi channel switch has a priority over individual control settings.

• Yeah INST buttons even override the override channel you can assign in the Template Edit menu. Which makes sense as it's an onboard control and no need to menu dive.

The Transport buttons are the one scenario where an 'exemption' setting would be super handy.

• Yes the jumpy pot situation is dire, especially when it is the main encoder.
    This is where the editor comes in really handy.
    It is a really well thought out program and a breeze to use.
    Once the templates are set, then there is little need for menu diving

• @Jes said:

Yes the jumpy pot situation is dire, especially when it is the main encoder.

Is this the same editor as linked above?

• edited October 2020

Had the same question. Downloaded it to check it out for myself and oooof: won't open in Catalina.

So, still have the same question. :)

• @supadom Welcome aboard! Looking forward to notes from your Drambo travels.

• @syrupcore said:
    @supadom Welcome aboard! Looking forward to notes from your Drambo travels.

Ha, thanks, well, this is my 4th x station actually! ;) I bought and sold several of them because I’m addicted to clever, compact and capable packages which x station undoubtedly is.

Time will tell if it fits I just need to find it...the time that is! Mind you, there will never be more time for these things than during the Covid crisis!

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Jes said:

Yes the jumpy pot situation is dire, especially when it is the main encoder.

Is this the same editor as linked above?

Im not sure.
    I use the one I have had for years from the Novation site

https://resource.novationmusic.com/support/product-downloads?product=X-Station

There is a Windows and a Mac version.
    Not sure how current they are.
    On windows 7 its working.

• edited October 2020

dunno but working on Mojave here... Will not upgrade due to 32 bit apps breaking (yes its the right editor)

• I had my mac editor crash twice so I just did it on the unit. It is quite quick albeit on first attempt I pressed snapshot button before saving and had to start from the beginning d’oh!

I’ve settled with templates for switching midi channels, this way some buttons are fixed on one channel for transport and things like loopy etc.

@noob which specific knobs are jumpy on your unit?

• edited October 2020

The X station I bought yesterday came with no power supply and all of those I already have work fine in standalone but as soon as I plug the iPad via usb I start getting either buzzing in speakers or LCD light dips and the iPad disconnects.

What is the original adapter 500mA, 1A?

I’m about to buy one, surely 1A will be enough?

• edited October 2020

dont have the orig adapter just use 1A and u shold be ok, right now mine is powered by the ipad pro usb c to usb adapter np
    btw this is from the manual ;
    The X-Station requires approx 350mA of power to operate dependent on various conditions. Switching on the Phantom power, Turning up the monitor volume in the headphones and charging the batteries will add to the power consumption. Although the USB specification dictates that all computers should be able to supply in 500mA of power, which is ample for the X-Station, some Laptops are not able to supply this much current..

edit; this is the original specs psu6 for novation xstation
    The correct power supply is Novation part number PSU-6, 9V DC centre pin positive 600 mA output
    so 9V 1A will def work

• I lost my power supply long ago. I now use a 12V 2A thing no problem.