Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Running Rozeta in sync with Midi Clock

edited January 2018 in General App Discussion

@brambos

I'm trying to find a way to run Rozeta in sync with midi clock from an external midi source.
Is there a way to do this with any combination of hosts- studiomux / Audiobus + AUM?
Is there a way for me to somehow to get this happening?

Another question:
I really love cells!!
when inputting chords, if the chord is sustaining, how long are the sustained notes held in the cell module?
so if I have a piano chord decaying for 3-5 seconds, or held legato string chords - does this held time length transfer/record in full into the cell module?
Or is the cell triggering until the next cell makes the previous chord receive a note off command?

Comments

• @syrupcore - thanks a million
    I do have Link to Midi - but in this case need: Midi to Link.

Midi-link-sync must have passed me by, and is exactly what I need!
    cheers

• :#
    Midi-link-sync WORKS !!!!
    (via IDAM too)

• edited January 2018

@Mayo said:
    :#
    Midi-link-sync WORKS !!!!
    (via IDAM too)

it works extremely well :)
    i actually use it to make link work via midi sent from ableton over my ica4+
    that way i don't need to worry about wifi at all. i also use it when i want my beatstep Pro
    to be the clock source.

• edited January 2018

It's not perfectly accurate, I did some tests recording link midi events back into DAW.
    But I never expected extremely accurate sync when converting midi clock to link, as midi clock is a pretty vague timing clock compared to sample accurate Link timing.

Yes, it surprised me - it works extremely well !
    Definitely close enough for what I'm currently working on - very happy indeed!

• edited January 2018

Anyone tested this with Auria/Aum/Xequence? Meaning Midi to Link

• @Mayo said:
    It's not perfectly accurate, I did some tests recording link midi events back into DAW.
    But I never expected extremely accurate sync when converting MTC to link, as MTC is a pretty vague timing clock compared to sample accurate Link timing.

Yes, it surprised me - it works extremely well !
    Definitely close enough for what I'm currently working on - very happy indeed!

If you want tight timing then you have to use MIDI clock, not MTC!
    MIDI clock is more precise than LINK because you don't have the additional WiFi jitter.
    At least with apps that have implemented MIDI Sync properly.

• edited January 2018

@rs2000
    Exactly - mid clock is more accurate than MTC.
    I'm using midi clock, but it's not what I call tight (as in 100% accurate), but close enough
    I should have been more specific with my terms - it's not MTC
    EDIT: posts edited :)

@Fitz - it's going great in AUM, I was going to try it in Auria, but I read there are issues with Auria receiving midi clock, plus I'm not really using Auria much as I cant seem to route midi to my liking (compared to AUM)

• Thanks @Mayo. Auria doesn’t seem to receive midi clock it’s true, just wondering if Auria could be the master. Ie. midi to link.

• edited January 2018

Check the Midi Link Sync app details, I read there is issues with Auria, maybe it is only syncing? - but anything that can output midi clock will work :)
    This little app has made my current workflow SO much easier

• @Fitz said:
    Thanks @Mayo. Auria doesn’t seem to receive midi clock it’s true, just wondering if Auria could be the master. Ie. midi to link.

Yes, with Patterning (something virtual ports related):

In Auria Pro send midi clock to Patterning.
    In Patterning (ableton link disabled) receive clock on channel 'Patterning', send clock on channel 'Patterning'.

In MidiLinkSync set the source: Patterning, the destination: Aum, tap 'enable sync'.

Press Play in Auria and have a look at Aum's clock (on setting a new tempo, Stop/Start Auria again).

• edited January 2018

I guess the problem with running Xequence and Auria together is that both only act as master clock. Auria doesn’t have Link, while Xequence does. I’ve got them to play together now using Midi to Link, with a few caveats. You can’t loop in Auria (which is also true if you want to record anyway). Also, coordinating starts takes a few beats, so it’s best to start anything in Auria after a bar or 2. I’ll try Aum next. Great little utility app! Thanks @Mayo and @ccs2.

• @Mayo said:
    @rs2000
    Exactly - mid clock is more accurate than MTC.
    I'm using midi clock, but it's not what I call tight (as in 100% accurate), but close enough
    I should have been more specific with my terms - it's not MTC
    EDIT: posts edited :)

What I meant to say is that if you experience inaccurate sync with MIDI clock then it's usually the app, not MIDI clock itself (except you have a bad sender).
    Some apps slave-sync 100% tight, others behave jittery because they are not properly designed. Good examples are Loopy HD, Beat Machine, MoDrum, BassLine, LP-5, Genome Midi, StepPolyArp, thor, DM1, GlitchBreaks, ...

• edited January 2018

@Fitz Modstep would loop (midi clock from patterning, ableton link disabled in the above setting) hosted in Aum.

• @Fitz: BM2 has a quite good MIDI sync slaving implementation and works almost perfectly with Xequence's clock, if that is of any help (even the song loop in Xequence is followed correctly by BM2).

• @ccs2, I never really got to grips with Modstep. Maybe I need to revisit, thanks

@SevenSystems, I like Xequence as a main midi sequencer, and would mainly (maybe always) use Auria as an audio host. I haven’t looked at BM2 for many years but don’t remember being very impressed by the interface, or sounds. Again, maybe I need to revisit... thanks.

• @rs2000 said:

Some apps slave-sync 100% tight, others behave jittery because they are not properly designed. Good examples are Loopy HD, Beat Machine, MoDrum, BassLine, LP-5, Genome Midi, StepPolyArp, thor, DM1, GlitchBreaks, ...

Good list. I'd add FunkBox. If something is weird with midi timing I tend to check the app in question against FunkBox or Loopy.

• @syrupcore said:

@rs2000 said:

Good list. I'd add FunkBox. If something is weird with midi timing I tend to check the app in question against FunkBox or Loopy.

Oh yes indeed, how dare I not mention FunkBox, one of the first super-stable MIDI Clock eaters back from iOS5 times 👍🏼 B)