Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[answered] BM3 basic midi question - moron asking for help

so i went the BM3 road.
built a nice bank with own samples nice and easy

BUT

when i send 2 different midi notes to this bank only the selected pad gets triggered in 2 different pitches. the midi setup for this bank is "single changle note number is associated to pad number".
to my understanding this should trigger pad 1 with c3 and pad 2 with c#3. but it doesn't.
any hints welcome!

[email protected]

Comments

• Set your midi controller pads up in the settings to be properly configured with BM3. Every sample can be pitched if it’s not changed in the sampler but if you set it up in the settings, the pitch with only change with the pads if you’re in Keys with the pad selected.
    I hope that makes sense. It was hard for me to explain that lol

• the controller pads are set up properly! the controller pads work as expected in Cubasis2 but not in BM3...

• Try changing the root key of the samples in mapping. This is how my kit works with pads. I can play all samples at the same time if I wanted and use pitch on the keyboard if I wanted for a specific sound.

The kick is on the first pad. No pitch for that one. Clap on the second pad. Has a root key and is allowed for pitch.

• edited January 2018

i already did that with no success. thanx for helping!!!

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

Just to be clear, from the thread title, your questions are only directed to moron’s, right? :D If so then you came to the right place...

Have you checked the app settings? “Route all Midi to selected pad (Omni)” should be set to OFF.

• @wim said:
    Just to be clear, from the thread title, your questions are only directed to moron’s, right? :D If so then you came to the right place...

Have you checked the app settings? “Route all Midi to selected pad (Omni)” should be set to OFF.

yep, settings checked.
    seems to be a pita to use it for more than painting in notes, doesn't it?!

• As already mentioned, you may need to go into the focus actions editor and set up a mapping to make your pads trigger.Its pretty straightforward. Just touch each “Trigger Pad ..” slot, and then the pad on your controller. Once done, you can save the template from the menu (three dots) at the top left.

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@dermichl said:

@wim said:

yep, settings checked.
    seems to be a pita to use it for more than painting in notes, doesn't it?!

Not once you get it set up. Takes less than a minute to set up the pads. It’s just not obvious that you need to do it.

• Ahh ... you changed the thread title! I liked it better the other way. B)

• so i need to do a mapping for incoming midi notes to trigger a pad?
    is this by design and on purpose?
    seems like BM3 is the Reaper of iOS where you need to go into settings to accomplish basic tasks like triggering a pad with a sound loaded?!?

• @dermichl said:
    so i need to do a mapping for incoming midi notes to trigger a pad?
    is this by design and on purpose?
    seems like BM3 is the Reaper of iOS where you need to go into settings to accomplish basic tasks like triggering a pad with a sound loaded?!?

Yes it’s by design I believe but makes it easy so you don’t have to remember where how you mapped the notes for your controller. Once you set that up you should be good to go.

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

Yes, by design. The default is for each pad to be triggered by a separate channel, then within that pad/channel for notes to be triggered by ... notes. BeatHawk is designed the same way. It makes sense from one point of view, but isn’t necessarily intuitive for everyone (myself included).

Not much point in editorializing on the design though.Your question is answered I think.

[edit] I forgot to mention the “Auto Learn” at the bottom left when setting up the pads.

• @wim said:
    ...Your question is answered I think...

thanx!

• Us morons gotta stick together!

• edited January 2018

@wim said:
    Yes, by design. The default is for each pad to be triggered by a separate channel, then within that pad/channel for notes to be triggered by ... notes. BeatHawk is designed the same way. It makes sense from one point of view, but isn’t necessarily intuitive for everyone (myself included).

Not much point in editorializing on the design though.Your question is answered I think.

[edit] I forgot to mention the “Auto Learn” at the bottom left when setting up the pads.

That isn't strictly true
    Beatmaker 3 has single channel or multi channel mode, just change it in the bank MIDI input setting.
    So you can have a single MIDI channel trigger the entire bank and MIDI notes become pads(MIDI note 0 = pad 1 MIDI note 1 = pad 2 etc), or multi channel trigger where each MIDI channel will trigger its own pad pitched (MIDI channel 1 = pad 1 MIDI channel 2 = pad 2 etc)

So no, you dont need to go in to focus actions and map ;)

• @Samplemunch said:

@wim said:

That isn't strictly true
    Beatmaker 3 has single channel or multi channel mode, just change it in the bank MIDI input setting.
    So you can have a single MIDI channel trigger the entire bank and MIDI notes become pads(MIDI note 0 = pad 1 MIDI note 1 = pad 2 etc), or multi channel trigger where each MIDI channel will trigger its own pad pitched (MIDI channel 1 = pad 1 MIDI channel 2 = pad 2 etc)

I thought the OP said already that he tried that and it wasn’t working for him. Rather than go through a lengthy troubleshooting session, my post was meant to provide something I know works.

• Nope it hadnt been mentioned once, just the global omni setting in prefs and focus actions, which is not bank MIDI setting ;)

• edited January 2018

@Samplemunch said:

@wim said:

That isn't strictly true

i tried both choices and neither does work over here...

• so to sum it up:
    under global settings the respective Midi input was activated
    in the bank settings single channel plus appropriate port and matching midi channel
    each pad assigned to different notes (in the sample view if that's the correct name)
    no dice
    deleted and moving on...

• c3 is note number 60 so it will trigger pad 61 not pad 1 ;)

• @Samplemunch said:
    c3 is note number 60 so it will trigger pad 61 not pad 1 ;)

then why on earth will pad 1 play c3 when in keys mode?

• Because you have it set to play c3, you can change it to any key and any octave any scale, that is keys mode, not MIDI input.
    Keys mode relates to a single pad too, not a bank.

• The more I look at this, the more I think buying it was one of my mistakes. If Apple provided a way to send my license, as it were, to someone who has the time and inclination for this app, I’d give it away,

• i'd say if you only rely on painting midi in then it's a decent solution...
    but i wouldn't mind a refund either.

• It's a real bummer to read this. Bm3 is such a deep app, with features many of us have been waiting for years literally.
    Now we have them (mostly), but apparently too many people struggle with the way these features are presented on BM3's user interface.
    Although I have used lots of music apps on iOS, Win and Mac, I must admit I'm no exception.
    Operating BM3 is not an easy and obvious thing, and sometimes answers to questions cannot even be found in the manual.
    The somewhat similar predecessor Beatmaker 2 has always been much, much more powerful, yet more musical compositions have been written with the rather easy-to-use Nanostudio app.

This is a phenomenon not unique to Beatmaker, there are other apps that are fantastic in theory but too hard to operate either because the on-screen controls are too tiny or the UI and workflow have been designed by great coders instead of musicians.

• i really was hoping for BM3 to be the answer but to me it now seems like reaching with your right hand above your head to scratch your left ear. i wont even try to understand why i have to manually map midi notes to pads to make some sound. i wonder why they did not include keyboard keys into this mapping procedure just to make BM3 more tweakable...

• I keep going back to the well, a little more every night. I have found it easier having decided to arrive with no expectations. I started off getting but a thimbleful for my trouble, and then a cup, now a decent-sized mug. Still far from the bucket and beyond, but all the while I can hear the me-in-the-future saying just keep going....

• tjatja
    edited January 2018

@rs2000 said:
    It's a real bummer to read this. Bm3 is such a deep app, with features many of us have been waiting for years literally.

I thought, that BM3 is still not there where BM2 was.

Just curious, could you give some examples of such new features compared to other Apps and esp. BM2?

Otherwise, you are right - I still just cannot understand the App in its bare basics even.
    It works totally different to my brain.
    I'm still trying :)

• I’m still confused as to what you’re trying to do and why it’s not working for you

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    I’m still confused as to what you’re trying to do and why it’s not working for you

easy: i want to let Patterning trigger a drum bank in BM3 - Patterning sends Midi and BM3 is supposed to be the sound module.
    In Cubasis this is a matter of seconds with no mapping at all. just set your ports and midi channel and off you go...
    To me this is a basic task - rendering Midi notes into sound. So it should be a basic operation with no mapping, no setting up more than Midi port and channel!