Elastic Drums: MIDI, same controller etc

I'm trying to MIDI map a scene page of my NanoKONTROL Studio to ElasticDrums.

To make life easier i've change the NanoKONTROL ccs to reflect the ccs in the manual on the knobs and buttons I want to use. But I am confused that they make no difference, they still need to be MIDI learnt.
OK fine, only a bit of extra stuff to do but then I am baffled by the Same Controller for all instruments where the MIDI mapping of instrument select is hidden, so how does one MIDI learn to it? Am I right in thinking that the strip of buttons on the right of the Instr screen are the select buttons and that they are not the same as the Trigger buttons?

Finally It seems especially tricky to map the XY controls to an XY controller! This is not just an issue for Elastic Drums but i wondered if anyone has a trick for this that isn't mapping to some other things then changing those values on the XY controller to those values.

Also I don't know if this is by design but it seems I can only talk to Elastic Drums with the NanoKONTROL Studio when its connected through AUM (haven't tried with AB3 or Modstep but I imagine it would work similarly) and not as a standalone, this despite ED recognising the NanoKONTROL Studio in the MIDI options.

Excellent app, no real complaints, so please don't think I'm criticising. I'm just confused as to what is going on with some of these things. I will get more out of Elastic Drums when I have it properly intergrated into my Nano Studio work flow.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • I've been meaning to map a controller in the studio to ED, so I'll let you know what I find out when I do. In the meantime, I'd suggest contacting the dev, Oliver, directly. He's pretty accessible.

• Directly here or emailing via the mail on their website "ed AT mominstruments DOT com"?

• @Calverhall said:

I'm using a Korg NanoKONTROL (not Studio) and it works fine directly in ED. Are you trying to use Bluetooth? That could be the issue.

I was never able to get the hidden instr0,instr1,instr2,instr3,instr4,instr5 triggers to work. As you noted, despite what it says in the manual, a lot of the parameters are not actually mapped and since those are hidden there's no way to assign them.

The trig0,trig1,trig2,trig3,trig4,trig5 are basically the same. They will work for selecting the different instruments when "Same controller for all insert" is on so you can tweak all parameters of all instruments with just 16 knobs.

One thing to note: if the "trigger instrument" XY pad on the Jam page is on something other than 0, you won't hear anything when you press the MIDI trigger, unless the pattern is playing - then it will trigger as per the repeats listed.

For XY controllers, try running your finger along the edges of the pad to restrict the controller sent; otherwise remap or use something else to make the assignment.

• Cheers for your response @aplourde. It encapsulates why I posted here rather than directly although I have done that too.

Whilst this related thread is here: what are reactions to ElasticFX?

• @Calverhall said:
    Cheers for your response @aplourde. It encapsulates why I posted here rather than directly although I have done that too.

Whilst this related thread is here: what are reactions to ElasticFX?

I had the same problem mapping x y. Someone here has suggested to first press on the edge and then tap the control you need to assign. It has worked for me on nanopad 2.

• @Calverhall said:

To make life easier i've change the NanoKONTROL ccs to reflect the ccs in the manual on the knobs and buttons I want to use. But I am confused that they make no difference, they still need to be MIDI learnt.
    OK fine, only a bit of extra stuff to do but then I am baffled by the Same Controller for all instruments where the MIDI mapping of instrument select is hidden, so how does one MIDI learn to it? Am I right in thinking that the strip of buttons on the right of the Instr screen are the select buttons and that they are not the same as the Trigger buttons?

I am not 100% sure, if I understand your problem, but it might be related to the "Same controller for all instr." button indeed. Have you tried to setup your device with this button deactivated? Does it help?

The idea of this button is - when it's switched on, you only have to Midi learn one channel and you only control the parameters of an actually chosen channel. For example all kick parameters of the first channel. When you then switch to the second channel - it might be your snare or whatever - then you control all the parameters with the same knobs, you used for channel one. I hope I explained it understandable sort of ...

• edited May 3 Vote Up0

@elasticdrums said:

@Calverhall said:

I am not 100% sure, if I understand your problem, but it might be related to the "Same controller for all instr." button indeed. Have you tried to setup your device with this button deactivated? Does it help?

The idea of this button is - when it's switched on, you only have to Midi learn one channel and you only control the parameters of an actually chosen channel. For example all kick parameters of the first channel. When you then switch to the second channel - it might be your snare or whatever - then you control all the parameters with the same knobs, you used for channel one. I hope I explained it understandable sort of ...

Hi ya, thanks for this reply, this was like 4 months back and I have been using the excellent Audiobus Remote controls, lately. I’ll reply properly later after work this evening because I’m not sure you have quite answered my question ...

Until then, ED is great.