Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Have you been underwhelmed recently ?

There is a lot of hype around music apps these days, sometimes it’s warranted ( most of you were pleased by BM3 and zeon), and sometimes we grab the apps and then feel a bit under whelmed.

I love zeon, it’s was even better than I expected and I was so happy when the iPhone version was released. Same with apesoft mood.

Kauldron was hyped a bit and I was reluctant but the price enticed me and I was more than happy.

Not so with groovemaker. It’s not intuitive and it’s not quick to get results, ielectribe in my book is far more of an ios app.

And today I grabbed the Rozeta update and played with it but it doesnt offer anything different than the other generative apps...

Perhaps I’m bored? Maybe we need a new kind of app?

What apps have lived to their hype and which haven’t?

Comments

• Just the opposite with me – I’m whelmed. I’m not really paying attention to any new apps since I stopped buying them quite some time ago due to budgetary incompatibilities, so I’ve got used to trawling my existing back catalogue of forgotten apps as if it is all new to me (which in many cases it is).

• edited January 2018

Not at all. BM3, Zeeon, Eos2, FAC Chorus, Synthscaper and now Maxima. It has been a year of amazing developments. Over the break I spent some time doing the old workflow of exporting stems to a PC daw for so called ‘finishing’ only to realise... wow, I can really just be happy in iOS now 80-90% of the time with the PC acting mainly as a sound module for sampling into BM3 and for mastering. The first six years of iOS were teasing, addictive torture but now having upgraded the Air1 to a 2017 ipad and getting BM3 I am super happy and totaly whelmed.

• edited January 2018

Maybe music isn’t your thing?

• I’m whelmed as well. Haven’t bought any new apps recently as I am on spending probation after my Octatrack purchase. I’ve just been digging into the apps I already love and finding a whole universe of sounds. Good ol Thumbjam is soooo good with fugue machine

• To try to see it serious.....yes and no. All i can say so far. :)

• I’m enjoying iOS music making more than ever. Groove Rider was something I’ve been waiting for on iPad- an easy to use sequencer that combined synths and samples. I’m a big fan of hardware electribes, though, so the interface clicked immediately. I’ve struggled in iOS with connectivity and sync, having an all-in-one that I really get on with has solved my issues.

I’m looking forward to checking out Zeeon as well, top reviews.

I will admit that I get bored more easily by apps than by hardware. My mind will wander after thirty minutes making music with an app, whereas I could play for hours on a synth or guitar and never notice the time going by.

• Grooverider not quick to get results? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

• I’m going to commit blasphemy here but I’m a bit underwhelmed by Zeeon. I think it’s ok, but I just don’t understand the amount of worship (staying with the blasphemy theme) it gets. There are a lot of synth apps, really A LOT. To me Zeeon doesn’t sound any better than a lot of the other synth apps I have.

• Nope. Not here. And not taking the bait.

• I should add that we are extremely spoiled on iOS. So much choice and so many great apps from so many great devs.

• edited January 2018

I am regularly astonished by the inventiveness of developers and quality of music apps. Rozetta in particular offers a bright new path.

There is frustration, concerning some great apps that are in need of TLC. But hopefully that will be remedied. But even if not, we still have a truly fantastic array of tools at our disposal, and with many more to come.

• @Beathoven said:
    I’m going to commit blasphemy here but I’m a bit underwhelmed by Zeeon. I think it’s ok, but I just don’t understand the amount of worship (staying with the blasphemy theme) it gets. There are a lot of synth apps, really A LOT. To me Zeeon doesn’t sound any better than a lot of the other synth apps I have.

You are right, many iOS synths have good sound, what sets Zeeon apart IMO is that it has it's own character as well, which many synths lack, or simply trying to mimic something existing.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Maybe music isn’t your thing? ;)

Music is one of my things actually. Been into it for decades and making it since late 90s

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    Nope. Not here. And not taking the bait.

No bait lol, I’m expressing myself

Is that allowed??

• @Beathoven said:
    I should add that we are extremely spoiled on iOS. So much choice and so many great apps from so many great devs.

I agree

Maybe the problem with me is that too many come out and I fall for that kind of “bait”

• @u0421793 said:
    Just the opposite with me – I’m whelmed. I’m not really paying attention to any new apps since I stopped buying them quite some time ago due to budgetary incompatibilities, so I’ve got used to trawling my existing back catalogue of forgotten apps as if it is all new to me (which in many cases it is).

The constant conveyor belt of new apps and great updates makes me greedy for the latest thing, when I should probably be trying to make things with the apps I’ve already got.

• I’ve been pretty chuffed with most of my recent purchases. Less chuffed with my Air 2 which is starting to show its age.

• Zeeon and Kauldron are superb. Zeeon blows me away every time.

Rozeta has been awesome throwing a Hammered Dulcimer through a complete random yet controlled matrix of fluttering notes! I love it! :smiley: However Xynthesizr does this well too, but Rozeta continues to grow and it doesn’t look like BramBos is slowing down any.....

Grooverider is growing on me. It is nowhere near the playability of my old Electribe EMX1 but it is more powerful and capable than the new Electribes IMO. If I could MIDI Learn it to my Launch Control XL it would be wicked good... For now it seems to be kinda just a "nostalgic fun app" nothing more. Speaking of grooveboxes, Novation needs to bring some new non-drum packs to the table. Maybe some new modules? Wouldn’t it be great to have some real instrument sounds (guitar/piano) in Groovebox?....

I have been waiting for new kinda drum app to come out. I just can’t seem to get enough of them. SNAP Drum Machine by Reactable has the potential to be the best live drum app on iOS. Doesnt seem like it’s getting a lot of attention. If it had the ability to record a drum pattern(for a set length) produced by it’s "magnet" feature it would be amazing. More pattern slots? 16 parts? Effect racks with more control per part? Maybe make each drum part also have control like the DrumJams app pads? Switch between the 2 modes and/or magnet per part? I wouldn’t even care if they made these features all IAPs. I just love SNAPs playable layout. It has SOOOO much potential IMO.

I’m not bored at all. And I feel whelmed. But I do agree that we need a new type of app. What that is, I have no idea… But I’m sure I’ll shell out the money nonetheless! :lol:

• edited January 2018

The opposite for me. Totally blown away by the apps I have picked up in the past year.

Quantum - I can’t get over what an incredible sequencer this is.
    Syntronik - thought I would regret getting this one but I just love the layered sounds and FX.
    Neo-Soul Keys - I can’t believe I have these sounds on my iPad.
    PPG Infinite - I think this might actually be the best sounding synth on iOS.
    Yes, Zeeon too. What a synth.
    iMono/Poly - lovely sounds.
    When did DrumPerfect Pro come out? I only got it in 2017 and it is the business.
    Groovebox - have loved the flow of patterns and kits that get released.
    Layr - on the iPad!
    MV08 - in AU too. Boom!
    The BM3 sampler and pads (because I haven’t got my head around the BM3 arranger yet).
    Xequence (because I haven’t got my head around the BM3 arranger yet...).
    The Rozeta suite. Jam heaven.
    All of the crazy FX by Audio Damage and DDMF, etc.
    And it’s a year old now but getting Troublemaker still makes me grin ear to ear. On my iPad!

So I would say I have frustrations rather than disappointments. Little bugs, Link not quite running right, interoperability, not being able to pick up a session from where I left off. That sort of thing.

This past year has been an absolute treat. I will qualify all this by saying it was my first year playing with these toys. And maybe I am easily pleased... :smiley:

• edited January 2018

for me BM3... gigantic dissapointment, completely unusable app for my workflow ... for me not just one step backward when compared to BM2, but whole bunch of steps.. actually maybe around few thousands of steps backward :-)))

• edited January 2018

@Beathoven said:
    I’m going to commit blasphemy here but I’m a bit underwhelmed by Zeeon. I think it’s ok, but I just don’t understand the amount of worship (staying with the blasphemy theme) it gets. There are a lot of synth apps, really A LOT. To me Zeeon doesn’t sound any better than a lot of the other synth apps I have.

That is not blasohemy.....that is sacrilege :o
    The wild mob will get you tonight....
    Nah‘ all good and every meaning is a personal flavor and valid.
    But...really? ;)

• Otherwise known as a moaner's negativity thread.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’ve been pretty chuffed with most of my recent purchases. Less chuffed with my Air 2 which is starting to show its age.

Which is pretty fucked up if you asked me.

• @supadom said:
    Otherwise known as a moaner's negativity thread.

The only negativity is born out of the quality of the devs and the amount of choice we have at such low prices. It tends to make one spoiled and overly critical of what are actually great apps.

• @gusgranite said:
    The opposite for me. Totally blown away by the apps I have picked up in the past year.

Quantum - I can’t get over what an incredible sequencer this is.
    Syntronik - thought I would regret getting this one but I just love the layered sounds and FX.
    Neo-Soul Keys - I can’t believe I have these sounds on my iPad.
    PPG Infinite - I think this might actually be the best sounding synth on iOS.
    Yes, Zeeon too. What a synth.
    iMono/Poly - lovely sounds.
    When did DrumPerfect Pro come out? I only got it in 2017 and it is the business.
    Groovebox - have loved the flow of patterns and kits that get released.
    Layr - on the iPad!
    MV08 - in AU too. Boom!
    The BM3 sampler and pads (because I haven’t got my head around the BM3 arranger yet).
    Xequence (because I haven’t got my head around the BM3 arranger yet...).
    The Rozeta suite. Jam heaven.
    All of the crazy FX by Audio Damage and DDMF, etc.
    And it’s a year old now but getting Troublemaker still makes me grin ear to ear. On my iPad!

So I would say I have frustrations rather than disappointments. Little bugs, Link not quite running right, interoperability, not being able to pick up a session from where I left off. That sort of thing.

This past year has been an absolute treat. I will qualify all this by saying it was my first year playing with these toys. And maybe I am easily pleased... :smiley:

PPG infinite is calling me! Might grab that and Fugue then call it a day for like 6 months except for some more AUfx (poss the new filter from Audio Damage or Apefilter + some kind of saturation/distortion....Something like lo-fly but not sold on that one yet).

Bm3/Rozetta/Zeeon/Model15/IDensity/FieldScaper/Samplr/Animoog are enough for me to do the kind of stuff I bought an iPad for. Always tempting to keep buying but too much is too much, for me at least. Especially in iOS where it can be quite time consuming with shuffling files around etc.

GR16 is the only recent thing I’ve bought that I have mixed feelings on
    I was hoping for a bit more than is there. Can see it’s appeal but just didn’t hold my interest. Promising for future though.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Maybe music isn’t your thing? ;)

Now that is how you smash a troll :)

• Forgot SynthScaper! Lol