Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - January 2018

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• edited January 2018

I wrote these words eleven years on ago January 1st, 2007. It was the start of another year and it was a surprise I'd made it through the previous one. An optimistic or hopeful song when all that was soon in front of me (not that I knew it) was three weeks in the ICU and three months in an unpleasant rehab facility. I've revisited it every year since (the song, not the clinic), some of the versions sound broken and pathetic (in the true sense) to me now, but that's the journey I guess.

It's not unusual for lyrics or poems to appear to be written to another when they're really talking to yourself. I'd like to say that this New Year's message to myself got through, but it didn't, not then anyway, but I didn't go away (which was my code for don't die).

May we all 'don't go away' this year :)

Suffer the sinner
    the sailor and the sea
    every blesséd wave of love
    you cause to crash on me
    can you succor down the beauty
    each day of wonder seen
    yet save us from calamity
    love dried to the mean
    not golden or eternal
    but dust within the night
    never now remembered
    a lifetime without light
    may you open up the day
    with mindfulness not fear
    intend the best for you and ours
    throughout the coming years.
    (I say: Don't go away)

• @JohnnyGoodyear, that’s a beautiful thing. Lyrics are wonderful, perfect sentiment. Song supports it very well. Love the simplicity, with the little bits of color thrown in here and there. Also love what you did to your voice, bit of chorus/phase shifting in there. Excellent start to the year. Concept appreciated.

• My contribution is the kind of thing I’ve been thinking about doing a lot more of. Theme is my “compulsions”, the creative things I’ve done all my life while working at jobs that didn’t particularly interest me: music, drawing, writing. There are four of my drawings, illustrating each of my compulsions, and one overall figure. In the background are the results or the tools of my work. I did an initial video in Wizibel, with the music and background photos, then imported that into LumaFusion and added the drawings and titles. Music was written in Notion, including percussion, exported as midi to Auria, then had sounds assigned and mix built. Sounds are mostly from Twin 2 and Animoog, heavily altered with Fabfilter plugins. Drawings were all done in Procreate. So, 100 percent iOS.

If you just want to listen to the music:

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I wrote these words eleven years on ago January 1st, 2007. It was the start of another year and it was a surprise I'd made it through the previous one. An optimistic or hopeful song when all that was soon in front of me (not that I knew it) was three weeks in the ICU and three months in an unpleasant rehab facility. I've revisited it every year since (the song, not the clinic), some of the versions sound broken and pathetic (in the true sense) to me now, but that's the journey I guess.

It's not unusual for lyrics or poems to appear to be written to another when they're really talking to yourself. I'd like to say that this New Year's message to myself got through, but it didn't, not then anyway, but I didn't go away (which was my code for don't die).

May we all 'don't go away' this year :)

Suffer the sinner
    the sailor and the sea
    every blesséd wave of love
    you cause to crash on me
    can you succor down the beauty
    each day of wonder seen
    yet save us from calamity
    love dried to the mean
    not golden or eternal
    but dust within the night
    never now remembered
    a lifetime without light
    may you open up the day
    with mindfulness not fear
    intend the best for you and ours
    throughout the coming years.
    (I say: Don't go away)

Another nice one Johnny. I don't know why, but as I was listening to it, I was imagine a nice Classic guitar playing along with the track(in my head)....... Nice mate. ;)

• @rickwaugh said:
    My contribution is the kind of thing I’ve been thinking about doing a lot more of. Theme is my “compulsions”, the creative things I’ve done all my life while working at jobs that didn’t particularly interest me: music, drawing, writing. There are four of my drawings, illustrating each of my compulsions, and one overall figure. In the background are the results or the tools of my work. I did an initial video in Wizibel, with the music and background photos, then imported that into LumaFusion and added the drawings and titles. Music was written in Notion, including percussion, exported as midi to Auria, then had sounds assigned and mix built. Sounds are mostly from Twin 2 and Animoog, heavily altered with Fabfilter plugins. Drawings were all done in Procreate. So, 100 percent iOS.

If you just want to listen to the music:

Nice mate. You know that it reminded mind, or should I say, it wouldn't be out of place in an old Arnold Schwarzenegger flick soundtrack in the 80's, like "Running Man" film........ Showing my age here..... ;)

• @studs1966, it is a bit cinematic. I tend to do that.

• @JohnnyGoodyear what a song, after reading your description I felt the song even stronger. Love it, love the arrangement and the melancholy

• @rickwaugh said:
    @studs1966, it is a bit cinematic. I tend to do that.

Don't ever change...... As an iOS produced track, it's very well done matey. :)

• This one started on my Novation Circuit for the bass and drums, then moved it to Modstep to find a better mix of sounds, which I found in Mood, Phosphor 2 and Seakbeats. The Drone is a couple instances of Droneo.

For the guitar, I used Tonestack, but wanted a wah-wah, so I put my Dunlop mini crybaby in front of my interface, into the iPad/Tonestack and am pleased with the results.
    Mixed it in Auria, with a healthy dose of FabFilter plugins, as usual.

I also tried something new on this mix - parallel compression on the mix buss, aka the "Rear Buss Technique", used by mixer Andrew Scheps. I used Pro-C2 for it, following a video on the Waves Audio YouTube channel. I like the results - it seemed to allow me to add a little extra punch to the guitar and vocals. I'll use it again, but interested to hear if anyone else in the club has experimented with it.

Snakebite, It flows through my veins tonight
    Snakebite, An angry apple with a red stripe
    Snakebite, It’s causing me to lose sight
    Snakebite

Ridin’ this barstool since the sun hit the dirt
    Always searching, never finding, only feeling was hurt
    Left grasping at straws, staring down my drink
    I threw up my hands and I caught her wink

She said,”let me pour you slowly down the back of my spoon
    I’ve been mixing potions since the late afternoon
    If you can’t find the answer on the bathroom wall
    I’ll keep your demons quiet long after last call”

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    This one started on my Novation Circuit for the bass and drums, then moved it to Modstep to find a better mix of sounds, which I found in Mood, Phosphor 2 and Seakbeats. The Drone is a couple instances of Droneo.

For the guitar, I used Tonestack, but wanted a wah-wah, so I put my Dunlop mini crybaby in front of my interface, into the iPad/Tonestack and am pleased with the results.

I also tried something new on this mix - parallel compression on the mix buss, aka the "Rear Buss Technique", used by mixer Andrew Scheps. I used Pro-C2 for it, following a video on the Waves Audio YouTube channel. I like the results - it seemed to allow me to add a little extra punch to the guitar and vocals. I'll use it again, but interested to hear if anyone else in the club has experimented with it.

Snakebite

I do like your voice dude. Great track!......... May I make a suggestion?...... Have you ever tried doing a type of "Ry Cooder" style of track version of "Snake Bite"?....... I'm thinking your singing talent could be used on on a Blues theme......... This is not a criticism, but more of a compliment mate. I liked it very much...... As they say in Cyprus, Bravo!...... :)

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    This one started on my Novation Circuit for the bass and drums, then moved it to Modstep to find a better mix of sounds, which I found in Mood, Phosphor 2 and Seakbeats. The Drone is a couple instances of Droneo.

Snakebite

Love how the guitar turned out, nice bite to it. Good feel to the track, nice languid, laid back touch that married with the theme very well.

• @studs1966 said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

I do like your voice dude. Great track!......... May I make a suggestion?...... Have you ever tried doing a type of "Ry Cooder" style of track version of "Snake Bite"?....... I'm thinking your singing talent could be used on on a Blues theme......... This is not a criticism, but more of a compliment mate. I liked it very much...... As they say in Cyprus, Bravo!...... :)

Haha, thanks for the nice words! Ry Cooder, huh? Interesting, I'm not very familiar with his work, but I will give some a spin. Always looking for new influences and inspiration. Cheers!

• @rickwaugh said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

Snakebite

Love how the guitar turned out, nice bite to it. Good feel to the track, nice languid, laid back touch that married with the theme very well.

Thanks, it was my first time trying to double track with a wah, and it actually lends some pretty cool results when hard-panning them.

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@studs1966 said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

Haha, thanks for the nice words! Ry Cooder, huh? Interesting, I'm not very familiar with his work, but I will give some a spin. Always looking for new influences and inspiration. Cheers!

Your very welcome....." Ry Cooder is a fab blue artist..... ( almost up ther with Sonny " Boy" Williamson/Bo Diddly/ Stevie Ray/John Lee Hooker/ Muddy Walters, ect........... Bollocks, I'm showing my age again).... If you ever seen the film "Southern Comfort" you it'll, may give you an idea?...... It's a classic movie. ;)

• @Shaken&;Stirred you’re very talented. I like your voice, you sing very well but I like it even more when you do your rap thing. The song is cool and you have some attitude in your voice, I want some rap though

• Hi all!
    This is live performance I did for #jamuary2018. It’s live and I kind of improvised so it’s not very well planned. I had an idea how I wanted to start the song but no idea how to end it.

• @studs1966 said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

@studs1966 said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

Your very welcome....." Ry Cooder is a fab blue artist..... ( almost up ther with Sonny " Boy" Williamson/Bo Diddly/ Stevie Ray/John Lee Hooker/ Muddy Walters, ect........... Bollocks, I'm showing my age again).... If you ever seen the film "Southern Comfort" you it'll, may give you an idea?...... It's a classic movie. ;)

Cool I’m listening to his ‘74 release “Paradise and Lunch” - good stuff! I’ll see if I can stream that flick from somewhere. Cheers!

• edited January 2018

@fattigman, you're doing a great job of channeling Bob Marley. ;) Your voice is great, i like the loops, and the ending works fine.

• @rickwaugh I first listened to the music without watching the video and thought I liked the atmosphere and feeling that the song expresses. But when I watch the video I liked it even more because the song and the art go together. I’m not sure what it is but I think of chinese art, maybe because of the colors. I really like your paitings. Many applauses to you.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @fattigman, you're doing a great job of channeling Bob Marley. ;) Your voice is great, i like the loops, and the ending artist works fine.

Thanks a lot! Mr Marley is a big idol of mine :smile:

• Thanks @fattigman, for listening both ways. And I love Bob too. Amazing artist.

• @rickwaugh I forget to mention, what a nice ukulele at the end of the video. What brand is it?

• edited January 2018

I often, as I think others do, have fond memories of a time that seems lost. When everything seemed more innocent. I know it isn’t true and that olden days were just as bad, sometimes worse.
    But there was a simplicity to life. Every little detail of life wasn’t open to everyone like now, with the internet and social media.
    Recorded mostly in GB then all tracks moved to Auria for chopping, tweaking and mixing with those fabulous filters.

• @JohnnyGoodyear What lovely words. I was struck immediately with the clarity of this track. Great drum sound and clear instrumentation, really well mixed and panned. The vocals are really well sung and recorded, they sit perfectly in the track.
    I love all the twinkly little extras that you’ve placed around the song. Like sprinkles on the cake. Really enjoyed it, fantastic.

• @rickwaugh That’s a beautiful intro. I wasn’t expecting the electro sound after it! The (tubular?) bells throughout, shine through. I think the track could benefit from the drums pulsing through the mix a bit more, especially the kick. Lovely sound overall.

• @DefRobot said:
    I often, as I think others do, have fond memories of a time that seems lost. When everything seemed more innocent. I know it isn’t true and that olden days were just as bad, sometimes worse.
    But there was a simplicity to life. Every little detail of life wasn’t open to everyone like now, with the internet and social media.
    Recorded mostly in GB then all tracks moved to Auria for chopping, tweaking and mixing with those fabulous filters.

Love it. Fab production mate. Enjoyed it very much. ;)

• edited January 2018

@Shaken&;Stirred Absolutely awesome. You’ve nailed this one. Sounds, mix, panning, vocals. All spot on. I don’t really know where to start!
    From the pulsing drone intro, to the excellent guitars.
    Drums pin it all down while being clear as day.
    The little extras through the song are top notch. Little bits of percussion and atmospherics coming in and out. Would go down well in a rock or a dance venue. Could imagine it on the Sons of Anarchy soundtrack too.
    Really good ending. Great song, great recording, great mix.

• @fattigman I love the video and performance! To just go ahead and perform like that in the family kitchen is incredible! The vocals seems effortless.
    Mix wise, I would have the kick pulsing through a bit louder and maybe dial back the reverb length/mix on the vocals. Really good job!

• This track has just been signed with Disco Balls Records (Don't know when its being released? Been doing a lot of remixes for them over the Christmas period)..... Yes it's a bit long(Again!.... Sorry, i cant help it....... But you don't have to listen to it all...... :D ) Enjoy!..... ;)

• @DefRobot said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred Absolutely awesome. You’ve nailed this one. Sounds, mix, panning, vocals. All spot on. I don’t really know where to start!
    From the pulsing drone intro, to the excellent guitars.
    Drums pin it all down while being clear as day.
    The little extras through the song are top notch. Little bits of percussion and atmospherics coming in and out. Would go down well in a rock or a dance venue. Could imagine it on the Sons of Anarchy soundtrack too.
    Really good ending. Great song, great recording, great mix.

Holy Shit Def, thanks man! You’ve made my day, and I haven’t even had my first pot of coffee yet! Nice of you to say such encouraging words. My family and I were glued to SoA back in the day - would have been a thrill to be on there. :)