Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AU effects render problems in GB

2»

Comments

• I've debugged a lot with Maxima and Filter Demo, no silent crash at all. Run one time in the process function (short frame count) then nothing... So yes maybe a timeout or so...

• This problem is so troubling! GarageBand is my homebase DAW on the iPhone, and the inability to record AU effects is no small bug!!! :-(

• edited January 2018

.> @Audiojunkie said:

This problem is so troubling! GarageBand is my homebase DAW on the iPhone, and the inability to record AU effects is no small bug!!! :-(

I totally agree with you! Same here. But I’ve tested it with an Apple AU effect and that worked fine when exporting it to a song; I have tested 5 instances of Apple’s Audynamicsprocessor active in 5 tracks of a 6 track project and they all came out wet in the song. So that indicates that there is no issue with Apples own AUs.
    I think you can use 1 maybe 2 non Apple AUs without problem, but I am not sure about this.

• @Marcel said:
    .> @Audiojunkie said:

This problem is so troubling! GarageBand is my homebase DAW on the iPhone, and the inability to record AU effects is no small bug!!! :-(

I totally agree with you! Same here. But I’ve tested it with an Apple AU effect and that worked fine when exporting it to a song; I have tested 5 instances of Apple’s Audynamicsprocessor active in 5 tracks of a 6 track project and they all came out wet in the song. So that indicates that there is no issue with Apples own AUs.
    I think you can use 1 maybe 2 non Apple AUs without problem, but I am not sure about this.

To which Apple AUs are you referring? I wasn't aware of any AU files from Apple. Do you have to download an app to get them, or are you referring to built-in effects that come in GarageBand? If so, I don't think they are AU plugins, but rather are just built-in effects native to GarageBand. You've really got me curious on this one! :smile:

• @Audiojunkie said:

@Marcel said:
    .> @Audiojunkie said:

To which Apple AUs are you referring? I wasn't aware of any AU files from Apple. Do you have to download an app to get them, or are you referring to built-in effects that come in GarageBand? If so, I don't think they are AU plugins, but rather are just built-in effects native to GarageBand. You've really got me curious on this one! :smile:

I am referring to...see picture. The first few are the ones I bought, the ones at bottom are from Apple. There are more, you can see them by scrolling down (not in this picture of course :)).

• I'm having an issue with au in auria as well, I went to try the ddmf effects I bought the other day last night and there was no sound through them most of the time. The "solution" is to use a 512 buffer rather than 4096 on auria, I wonder if the GB thing is related to a similar issue? Low buffer means my air1 gets further crippled, so I guess for now no au for me.

But I wonder if for garageband if you ran it in audiobus and reduced the buffer of that would make a difference? Hopefully au gets figured out, it really changes the landscape. For now I guess my mixing stays on Mac for the most part.

• @Marcel said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Marcel said:
    .> @Audiojunkie said:

I am referring to...see picture. The first few are the ones I bought, the ones at bottom are from Apple. There are more, you can see them by scrolling down (not in this picture of course :)).

Ah!! I didn’t know those even existed. I have A LOT of AU plugins, and these from Apple show up at the end—after the ones I purchased. Thank you for pointing them out!! :smiley:

• @Audiojunkie said:

@Marcel said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Marcel said:
    .> @Audiojunkie said:

Ah!! I didn’t know those even existed. I have A LOT of AU plugins, and these from Apple show up at the end—after the ones I purchased. Thank you for pointing them out!! :smiley:

Ahaa!! :) Nice! I myself discovered them only a few days ago. Another thing which I also discovered a few days ago (a bit off topic) is the automation function in GB. Did you knew that? You can perfectly automate volume levels within a track! But perhaps you know this already. Let me know if you didn’t.

• I knew about the volume automation. Do you know of any other automation capability? Midi cc for example? Or possibly panning?

• @Audiojunkie said:
    I knew about the volume automation. Do you know of any other automation capability? Midi cc for example? Or possibly panning?

About panning - this vid is about panning (I saw it about a week ago, and it made me aware of the automation function in GB)

• Ah!! Makes sense!! Thank you!!

• Still have render issues and also garageband doesn't seem to save the settings of the au when exiting and re-entering sometimes. Very frustrating

• edited March 2020

Hate to dig up an old thread, but seeing same issues. Was there ever a fix for this? I can't track merge either same deal, AU crashes. Doesn't happen on all AUs..

I think my first mistake was opening GB at all today lol... four hours later here I am :\ bummer.

• I have had SynthMaster One crash a few times when reloading projects. It merged fine, though. Third time, I finally learned.