Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording Perfect Loops in AUM How?

Comments

• Is it time to make my quarterly feature request for threshold triggered recording in Audioshare yet? :p

• @j_liljedahl said:
    The recorder in AUM already quantizes begin and end of recording for perfectly trimmed loops. You'll need to sync any synths/sequencers etc to AUM of course. (using standard IAA/AU host sync or Ableton Link).

Is this not working for you?

:o Wait ... what now????

• @j_liljedahl said:
    The recorder in AUM already quantizes begin and end of recording for perfectly trimmed loops. You'll need to sync any synths/sequencers etc to AUM of course. (using standard IAA/AU host sync or Ableton Link).

Oh weeping lizards of Ventongimps! I DID NOT REALISE THIS. I have been using the pause button like I was still recording the John Peel show to tape... I need to slow down and learn my tools...

• @gusgranite said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Oh weeping lizards of Ventongimps! I DID NOT REALISE THIS. I have been using the pause button like I was still recording the John Peel show to tape... I need to slow down and learn my tools...

Miss JP. And the recording of his show. Funny to think how many of us there must have been....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Miss JP. And the recording of his show. Funny to think how many of us there must have been....

I don't think I could have coped growing up in Illogan without him...

• @gusgranite said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

@j_liljedahl said:

I had my nose broken in Redruth once if that helps at all....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

@j_liljedahl said:

I had my nose broken in Redruth once if that helps at all....

Par for the course.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

I think i still have most of my JP tapes on the ‚attic‘ :)

• @richardyot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Wow, I completely missed this! It wasn't clear to me that I had to hit unrecord before the bar ended (but it does make sense). It's like Christmas with an unexpected gift.

Kinda tricky to stop recording while still playing though...

I really love AUM, it's an amazing app, but one thing would make it more user-friendly for recording loops: Being able to record a set number of bars (say 4 or 8 for example) and have the recording end automatically after said number.

Meanwhile the workaround is to trim the loops in Audioshare. With Snap to Beat enabled it's very easy to get perfect loops, but life would be even sweeter if there was no need to trim in the first place.

My plan is to add a mode where tapping the stop-record button will end the recording at the previous sync quantum. So instead of waiting for the next quantum, it will stop directly and auto-trim the recording so it ends at the nearest quantum that just happened.

• @richardyot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Wow, I completely missed this! It wasn't clear to me that I had to hit unrecord before the bar ended (but it does make sense). It's like Christmas with an unexpected gift.

...which is why I love being able to bind the record button in AUM to my various midi controllers as I see fit. If I need to loop something that requires both my hand on my midi keyboard I can bind the record on/off to my foot pedals etc, but I could also bind it to a certain un-used note or similar (with the help of midiflow etc) in the midst of where I play my pattern/loop/whatever.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@richardyot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

I really love AUM, it's an amazing app, but one thing would make it more user-friendly for recording loops: Being able to record a set number of bars (say 4 or 8 for example) and have the recording end automatically after said number.

Meanwhile the workaround is to trim the loops in Audioshare. With Snap to Beat enabled it's very easy to get perfect loops, but life would be even sweeter if there was no need to trim in the first place.

My plan is to add a mode where tapping the stop-record button will end the recording at the previous sync quantum. So instead of waiting for the next quantum, it will stop directly and auto-trim the recording so it ends at the nearest quantum that just happened.

That would be really cool.

• @richardyot said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@richardyot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

That would be really cool.

+1

• @hellquist said:

@richardyot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

...which is why I love being able to bind the record button in AUM to my various midi controllers as I see fit. If I need to loop something that requires both my hand on my midi keyboard I can bind the record on/off to my foot pedals etc, but I could also bind it to a certain un-used note or similar (with the help of midiflow etc) in the midst of where I play my pattern/loop/whatever.

Boffin De Luxe.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@hellquist said:

@richardyot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Boffin De Luxe.

It is a tough job, especially here, but someone's got to do it. ;)

• @j_liljedahl perchance this feature could be implemented directly into AudioShare too? Or some means of integrating AudioShare with AUM to reduce app switching?

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    @j_liljedahl perchance this feature could be implemented directly into AudioShare too? Or some means of integrating AudioShare with AUM to reduce app switching?

AUM records directly to the AudioShare storage space, so as far as I see it AUM already is the deluxe version of AudioShare's recorder :)

• Love it! Thanks!

• Would also love to see a preset-length loop recorder in AUM. If it also automatically loaded the loop into a new channel, even better.

• @syrupcore said:
    Would also love to see a preset-length loop recorder in AUM. If it also automatically loaded the loop into a new channel, even better.

I'm presuming the reticence to date is strategic rather than technical?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@syrupcore said:
    Would also love to see a preset-length loop recorder in AUM. If it also automatically loaded the loop into a new channel, even better.

Say what now?

• @syrupcore said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@syrupcore said:

Say what now?

The estimable Mister J had intimated at one point on here that including certain features in AUM might compromise AS (as far as undercutting someone's reason to buy it). I disagree (but then I would :) That was also then, I have no idea as to his current thinking, BUT the preset loop recorder (sans workaround) would seem an attractive addition....

• @j_liljedahl said:

Lol I didn’t know this either! Thank you, now i can precisely export all the madness i create in AUM!! :D

• @j_liljedahl said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    @j_liljedahl perchance this feature could be implemented directly into AudioShare too? Or some means of integrating AudioShare with AUM to reduce app switching?

AUM records directly to the AudioShare storage space, so as far as I see it AUM already is the deluxe version of AudioShare's recorder :)

Now that I know how to record perfect loops I can start to use AUM in addition to AudioShare a lot more! I always liked AUM but I wasn't keen on bouncing between the two apps for trimming. Actually the way it is setup works amazingly well. A metronome count in would be appreciated of course. the 4 bar "quantum" works like magic but it feels like I'm stumbling in the dark still with this app.

• Sorry @JohnnyGoodyear. I read reticence as reference and couldn't find a date reference in my post!

• BM3 does that quite well I think using the "Sync" sampling mode. You can pre-select the number of bars to sample and because it's also the host it will start and stop the plugin's transport (and works well with link).

• @DougButNotThatOne said:
    BM3 does that quite well I think using the "Sync" sampling mode. You can pre-select the number of bars to sample and because it's also the host it will start and stop the plugin's transport (and works well with link).

Yet another thing I didn't know about BM3....

• @DougButNotThatOne said:
    BM3 does that quite well I think using the "Sync" sampling mode. You can pre-select the number of bars to sample and because it's also the host it will start and stop the plugin's transport (and works well with link).

Could you explain, how to do this?
    In most simple steps :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@syrupcore said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@syrupcore said:

Say what now?

The estimable Mister J had intimated at one point on here that including certain features in AUM might compromise AS (as far as undercutting someone's reason to buy it). I disagree (but then I would :) That was also then, I have no idea as to his current thinking, BUT the preset loop recorder (sans workaround) would seem an attractive addition....

Huh? I don't remember saying anything like that.

The reason preset-length loop recording and/or auto-trim to previous quantum is not added is neither strategic nor technical, it's just that this is just one of hundreds of feature requests. I agree it would be a cool feature, as well as automatically loading new recordings into new FilePlayers, etc. There's also a lot of other cool potential features to add. But only so little time :)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Now that I know how to record perfect loops I can start to use AUM in addition to AudioShare a lot more! I always liked AUM but I wasn't keen on bouncing between the two apps for trimming. Actually the way it is setup works amazingly well. A metronome count in would be appreciated of course. the 4 bar "quantum" works like magic but it feels like I'm stumbling in the dark still with this app.

You can set a pre-roll (count-in) and configure the sync quantum number of bars in the Clock Options. However I think metronome will only be on or off, it would be cool to have an option to enable metronome only during count-in. (yet another item to the wish-list..)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@syrupcore said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@syrupcore said:

Say what now?

Huh? I don't remember saying anything like that.

The reason preset-length loop recording and/or auto-trim to previous quantum is not added is neither strategic nor technical, it's just that this is just one of hundreds of feature requests. I agree it would be a cool feature, as well as automatically loading new recordings into new FilePlayers, etc. There's also a lot of other cool potential features to add. But only so little time :)

No matter. It was all in the mists of time and we were far younger then :) Not being a live player I am still figuring out how to best use AUM which is nonetheless a program with so many great possibilities, but AS is simply fundamental to making music on iOS....