Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CPU flaw could result in noticeable OS slowdown - Mac, Windows, Linux

So.... that happened. Remains to be seen what the impact is per chip / per OS but we should know more in the coming days/weeks. I'm worried about the impact to my aging, Intel Windows PC I use to mix my iOS audio exports!

https://theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

Can we replace our Intel chip for $29?

I'm hoping this is a hoax, but more and more sites are reporting it (though also linking back to The Register).

Comments

• edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Could be the biggest blunder in CPU history.

• @knewspeak said:
    Could be the biggest blunder in CPU history.

At least since the Pentium division bug in the early 90s... :#

• Intel stock is going down...

I do wonder how much my 1.3Ghz MacBook Air will slow down when the 'fix' is applied when ever Apple cares to push it out...

• Apple will probably introduce an ARM Mac. Who knows, they probably already have it prepared, for just such an eventuality. Who knows, they probably have it ready for release next week. Who knows, the same disinformation department that seeded the news of this hardware exploit probably have the Gantt chart planned out so that an ARM Mac release can optimally ride the crest of the wave of maximum fear from the intel propaganda. Who knows. I mean, what do I know?

• @u0421793 said:
    Apple will probably introduce an ARM Mac. Who knows, they probably already have it prepared, for just such an eventuality. Who knows, they probably have it ready for release next week. Who knows, the same disinformation department that seeded the news of this hardware exploit probably have the Gantt chart planned out so that an ARM Mac release can optimally ride the crest of the wave of maximum fear from the intel propaganda. Who knows. I mean, what do I know?

I’m with you.

• I've been watching halt and catch fire on Netflix this past week while stuck in ADHD neutral and drama aside, it's amazing to see that similar things pop up over and over in the history of computing. Sometimes I really wonder how we humans got so good at screwing up the world? ;)

• Is this by the same people/rumor mill who said when all computers(Windows) will crash when we go into the Millennium, year 2000 panic at Midnight Bollocks?........... :D

• I was pricing up replacements for my 8 year old Win7 PC this morning, I might wait a bit after reading this.

• Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT

You gotta be kidding me...

• Maybe finally time to ditch Intel. The usual 5% increase and then maybe minus 30% sounds not so like future.
    I would like to see Apple put a 18 core 4Ghz ARM chip into a macbook pro :)

• It's taken me years to finally have a windows pc that just works how i want it to for music production. I am not wealthy or running a pro studio, so have had to wait until i could afford the technology, and make do with what i could put together on a budget. This could be all a lot of panic about nothing, but for the time being i have disabled windows updates in win 10 via services........ Microsoft removed the ability to do this from the control panel in Widows 10, so this is the only way to do it. There is speculation that some cpu's may take a 30% performance hit when Microsoft release the fix, and i don't think my 4th generation Haswell i7 cpu is going to like that very much, and i may see increased latency when recording. I have finally got it down to 3.98 ms, which i find acceptable for recording guitars/vox/keys with vst /ios efx. Much higher latency than that, and my timing just gets completely messed up.
    I guess i will have to take the risk on security for now.............Good or Bad strategy? What do people think?

• people's intelligence in recent years seems to follow the inverse curve of CPU speed...
    so this might actually be a good sign o:)

• edited January 2018

@Iso said:
    It's taken me years to finally have a windows pc that just works how i want it to for music production. I am not wealthy or running a pro studio, so have had to wait until i could afford the technology, and make do with what i could put together on a budget. This could be all a lot of panic about nothing, but for the time being i have disabled windows updates in win 10 via services........ Microsoft removed the ability to do this from the control panel in Widows 10, so this is the only way to do it. There is speculation that some cpu's may take a 30% performance hit when Microsoft release the fix, and i don't think my 4th generation Haswell i7 cpu is going to like that very much, and i may see increased latency when recording. I have finally got it down to 3.98 ms, which i find acceptable for recording guitars/vox/keys with vst /ios efx. Much higher latency than that, and my timing just gets completely messed up.
    I guess i will have to take the risk on security for now.............Good or Bad strategy? What do people think?

Since it might be on the cpu´s of the last "decade" i don´t care and i´m anyway hacked already.
    Otherwise i also don´t update anymore because you know....if it works.
    Not sure if it´s drama or reality i will have a look at it since i planned a new machine in the near future.
    Maybe i have to go back to iOS for performance increase from now on :o :)

• Well, if Apple included Ryzen chips, which are imune to this, are cheaper and as fast as Intel’s but with double the cores (good for video editing), I’d perhaps consider a new Mac. This Intel fiasco is really serious.

• @theconnactic said:
    Well, if Apple included Ryzen chips, which are imune to this, are cheaper and as fast as Intel’s but with double the cores (good for video editing), I’d perhaps consider a new Mac. This Intel fiasco is really serious.

Even more for the share holders.....or it was a just a dirty trick. Time to leave Intel Imperium maybe anyway.
    All i need to know is how it could impact audio performance.

• Are the tweets about the Intel CEO dumping stock before the announcement fake news?

• @gusgranite said:
    Are the tweets about the Intel CEO dumping stock before the announcement fake news?

Lol, more fire.....

• The cumulative effect on worldwide productivity could cause a mini recession, but I would imagine the flagging desktop sales will receive a boost as user's rush to replace systems that need all the cpu power they can muster.

• @knewspeak said:
    The cumulative effect on worldwide productivity could cause a mini recession, but I would imagine the flagging desktop sales will receive a boost as user's rush to replace systems that need all the cpu power they can muster.

So the master plan works......

• But serious, if that all is true and in a worst case a new macbook pro comes with the updated OS and get -30% performance it would be useless to me because it would be quite the same as my old machine now.
    Mmhhh, O.k. then lets´s see what the iPad Pro 2018 offers ;)

• @Cib said:
    But serious, if that all is true and in a worst case a new macbook pro comes with the updated OS and get -30% performance it would be useless to me because it would be quite the same as my old machine now.
    Mmhhh, O.k. then lets´s see what the iPad Pro 2018 offers ;)

Yes iOS devices could very well see a massive boost in sales too.

• This is pretty bad news all round if it affects performance as much as they say.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    This is pretty bad news all round if it affects performance as much as they say.

Really? Why’s that?

• edited January 2018

@vitocorleone123 said:

Partially, so far.

I´m still on 10.12.5 and won´t risk to loose even 5% since i´m always at the limit.....lol, on all my devices.
    But maybe some people already could say if the loose any performance...or not.

• Thanks very much for the link. Looks like my machine should escape the worst of it:
    From the article:
    "More recent Intel processors from the Haswell (4th-gen) era onward have a technology called PCID (Process-Context Identifiers) enabled and are said to suffer less of a performance hit".

• @Iso said:

Thanks very much for the link. Looks like my machine should escape the worst of it:
    From the article:
    "More recent Intel processors from the Haswell (4th-gen) era onward have a technology called PCID (Process-Context Identifiers) enabled and are said to suffer less of a performance hit".

But they still suffer. Really, Intel should get ass kicked!!!

• @Cib said:

@Iso said:

Thanks very much for the link. Looks like my machine should escape the worst of it:
    From the article:

But they still suffer. Really, Intel should get ass kicked!!!

Who by? B)