Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence & Rozeta (formerly Odessa)

Hi!

I wanted to get some thoughts re: Xequence and Rozeta (formerly known as Odessa). I'm interested in both of these apps having had them recommended to me when I was asking about Gadget. I've searched the forums for any comparison and couldn't find any. Both of these seem relatively new and sound to me (an admitted rank newbie) to do at least somewhat similar things. I'm wondered if I have that correct or if they are indeed quite different. I'm curious about what ways they are similar/different they are and if anyone here could help compare and contrast them. From what I can tell they both work in MIDI without their own audio engine but I don't know if they are basically the same or highly similar or if they are very different.

My second question about both of these is what other app options could be used with them if Gadget wasn't an option. Obviously, an "audio engine" app (for lack of a better term) would be required for either of these to work (if I'm understanding them correctly) and I'm curious what other apps might be used in this manner (and what is required for an app to be used in this way). Would GarageBand be an option? Or BeatHawk? (I've read BeatMaker3 works but it's not an iOS Universal, so that won't work for me at this point). Or BeatMaker2 (which is iOS Universal)? What others?

Thanks so much in advance! I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience. I can't tell you how much I'm learning from it. :)

Comments

• To oversimplify it: Xequence is for mapping out entire linear songs with MIDI; time bar ala garageband, a full piano roll editor per track, etc. Rozeta's suite of sequencers are very focused on doing their one thing extremely well but there is no traditional 'song' mode with them alone.

Another way to look at it (and I admit, this is all a bit fuzzy depending on how they're used and by whom): Xequence is for composing songs (like the MIDI equivalent of staff paper). Rozeta is for playing live. That is, Xequence (and Beatmaker, Garageband, etc) are generally linear and are good for capturing and editing notes—the track notes aren't really meant to be manipulated in a 'live' manor. Rozeta is exactly the opposite: the sequencers generally represent a bar or two and are begging you to manipulate them in real time.

The fuzzy bit: You can chain Rozeta sequences together to make longer phrases. And you can adjust the notes on the piano roll while Xequence (or GB, etc) plays. That's just not their focus.

So, if you want to jam with short sequences to create music: AUM+Rozeta should do it. If you want to lay out and edit linear songs, Xequence or Garageband should do it. You should be able to use Rozeta sequencers directly with Garageband and Xequence before too long I'd imagine.

• @syrupcore said:
    To oversimplify it: Xequence is for mapping out entire linear songs with MIDI; time bar ala garageband, a full piano roll editor per track, etc. Rozeta's suite of sequencers are very focused on doing their one thing extremely well but there is no traditional 'song' mode with them alone.

Another way to look at it (and I admit, this is all a bit fuzzy depending on how they're used and by whom): Xequence is for composing songs (like the MIDI equivalent of staff paper). Rozeta is for playing live. That is, Xequence (and Beatmaker, Garageband, etc) are generally linear and are good for capturing and editing notes—the track notes aren't really meant to be manipulated in a 'live' manor. Rozeta is exactly the opposite: the sequencers generally represent a bar or two and are begging you to manipulate them in real time.

The fuzzy bit: You can chain Rozeta sequences together to make longer phrases. And you can adjust the notes on the piano roll while Xequence (or GB, etc) plays. That's just not their focus.

So, if you want to jam with short sequences to create music: AUM+Rozeta should do it. If you want to lay out and edit linear songs, Xequence or Garageband should do it. You should be able to use Rozeta sequencers directly with Garageband and Xequence before too long I'd imagine.

Absolutely amazing descriptions. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to explain. I wasn't expecting to hear that Xequence is much more like GarageBand but clearly that it's the case - though I'm sure with additional features. Rozeta and Xequence are a lot more different than I was anticipating and with very little overlap. I was expecting them to do similar things and therefore be somewhat duplicates of each other but clearly that's not the case.

Thanks so much for the excellent info and explaination. I really appreciate it!

So, now... What other apps can be used with these as the audio engine (as an alternative to using Gadget with them)?

• @lifereinspired said:

So, now... What other apps can be used with these as the audio engine (as an alternative to using Gadget with them)?

Careful. You’ve just asked a very expensive question!

I’m not sure if you’ve invested in a ‘host’ app yet? There are several good options (most here will be curious enough to own/use a few/all of them). I imagine you’ve seen talk of AUM, BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro etc. on the forum here, but don’t forget Audiobus. The Great Connector. Anyway, these host apps are all different but they all host instruments and effects, and route incoming MIDI to them. This opens you up to a paralysing number of options. Beware appoholism.

You’ll only ‘need’ one host. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, which are forever being debated within these hallowed walls. Personally, if I was starting over, I’d want both Auria Pro (for crafting) and AUM (for jamming/experimenting). I use the others too, but I’m a master of none. Too many options will fracture the attention.

I’d consider Auria Pro for sure, as you get tons of useable sounds bundled within it. There’s an outstanding synth in there (Twin 2) and the Lyra sampler offers a huge sound palette.

Good luck :)

• And just to add, I don’t think Auria Pro works directly with Rozeta (yet) - midi would have to be sent over from AUM/BM3 (for now). It pairs beautifully with Xequence, which I find much more touch friendly than Auria’s own piano roll editor.

• If I'm not mistaken, the OP is operating only on iPhone now, so Auria is out of the question.

• tjatja
    edited January 2018
  • @sch said:
    If I'm not mistaken, the OP is operating only on iPhone now, so Auria is out of the question.

Ah, I’ve not been keeping up with all these threads. Sorry to derail things...

@tja - agreed, Quantum is a fantastically powerful sequencer, which again has a different way of doing things. I haven’t tried using it on my phone as it looks like it might be too fiddly on a tiny screen (SE), but please don’t take my word for it. If we’re opening the discussion to other iPhone sequencing options, I think KRFT deserves a mention too.

As for iPhone-friendly MIDI-driven instruments outside of Gadget, I wouldn’t know where to begin. It really depends on what sounds you like. It’s worth scanning through the AUv3 list that @philowerx has put together:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/437850/#Comment_437850

Learning the basics of synthesis is a solid investment too, as you’ll be able to dial in better sounds with what you have.

• edited January 2018

@tomato_juice said:

@lifereinspired said:

Careful. You’ve just asked a very expensive question!

I’m not sure if you’ve invested in a ‘host’ app yet? There are several good options (most here will be curious enough to own/use a few/all of them). I imagine you’ve seen talk of AUM, BM3, Cubasis, Auria Pro etc. on the forum here, but don’t forget Audiobus. The Great Connector. Anyway, these host apps are all different but they all host instruments and effects, and route incoming MIDI to them. This opens you up to a paralysing number of options. Beware appoholism.

You’ll only ‘need’ one host. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, which are forever being debated within these hallowed walls. Personally, if I was starting over, I’d want both Auria Pro (for crafting) and AUM (for jamming/experimenting). I use the others too, but I’m a master of none. Too many options will fracture the attention.

I’d consider Auria Pro for sure, as you get tons of useable sounds bundled within it. There’s an outstanding synth in there (Twin 2) and the Lyra sampler offers a huge sound palette.

Good luck :)

@tomato_juice - you have directly hit upon the primary reason for me asking all these questions here (beyond the most prominent, which is simply to learn). That is, to try to figure out what apps I really need in order to be able to do what I want with decent flexibility/creativity but without purchasing loads of apps I don't need, won't use, and quite frankly, don't have the budget for.

I'm a total tech geek nerd and I'm getting into music nnow via technology - which I love. Part of me could really "geek out" wanting to try any and every cool app out there but I'm trying my hardest not to go that route. I really just want to get the barebones apps that I need to make things work together, give an easy and enjoyable workflow, but not overwhelm me. I have enough to learn getting started in iOS music. Adding more work for myself by getting apps I don't need - but now have to spend additional time learning -
    will only pull me away from the goal of actually making music. In its own sense, it would be "fun" for me as a nerd to focus on the tech side of it for its own sake, but that's not what I'm actually wanting to do in this case. I can easily see how the apps themselves can take on a life of their own and eventually keep a person from actually making music rather than facilitating creating it. It's a difficult balance.

So, the short answer is that I don't yet have my primary "host" app. The TL;DR, I bought Cubasis 2 when it was in sale as I was really just getting started with all this & it was highly recommended especially with the 50% discount at the time. Unfortunately, I was too new to iOS at the time to realize that, unlike Android, many iOS apps that are available for one format are not available on another. On Android, most apps (for good or bad) would simply scale up or down from tablet to phone. But it was only after I purchased Cubasis 2 that I realized I couldn't use it in my iPhone, which is currently what I have for this. I plan to get an iPad Pro sometime later this year (which will drastically increase my app options) but for now, I (sadly) need apps that are iOS Universal. And, I'm finding this is a somewhat challenging limitation.

I have considered Gadget quite a bit but I can't seem to make myself love it and the fact that it doesn't play very nicely with others (compared to similar apps) makes it even worse. I think I'd like a more typical linear DAW than Gadget's "scenes" based concept which is why I was pointed towards Xequence (and Rozeta, for that matter as it also pushes the limitations that Korg has created in Gadget). But buying a $40 app (even at half price) and then needing to add at least some additional IAPs to bring it's capabilities up to somewhat acceptable and then needing to purchase Xequence to actually get something more like I'm wanting just feels like the wrong plan. So, I've been looking at other options.

I don't mind the $5 Xequence app but I'll need something to "drive" it for lack of better terminology. I was thinking about using GarageBand for the things it can do, at least for a bit but I don't think GB does what Xequence needs in this instance. BM3 is iPad only (BM2 is iOS Universal, FWIW and I read a comment on this forum that mentioned something about BM3 becoming Universal at some point but that poster may have been taking about something else entirely). I don't think that BM2 will do what Xequence needs in this instance either.

I'm trying to just get going here without breaking the bank or and with good interconnectivity. I'd love to be able to just get a good, primary "host" app, an app with a quality "sound bank" of sounds to choose from, and then a few that sort of connect everything together. In an ideal world, say BM3 or Auria, SampleTank with a good IAP, and then Audiobus 3, AudioShare, perhaps AUM, etc. But since it's not an ideal world, I'm trying to figure out what to do (and SampleTank changed their price just before I went to purchase it).

So, I was looking at other options that might work with Xequence, like perhaps BeatHawk (which at current sale, is just a quarter the price of Gadget on sale and from what little I can gather, people seem to really like the sounds it had and most like its interface. It also sounds like BH works with BM3, should I purchase it once I have an iPad (or BM3 becomes iPhone compatible, though I highly doubt my own interpretation of that single user post).

From what I've learned, any apps I can invest in that work with AU are definitely preferable as they are much not flexible than IAA or even Audiobus (at least at this point). It appears that BM3, AUM, Xequence, Rozeta, possibly BeatHawk are all either AU compatible or developing that way, which is great - and really quite exciting, assuming I understand it correctly.

I'm definitely open to other possible app combinations or perhaps I wouldn't need Xequence? I do think I'll likely be working primarily in MIDI, at least starting out. I was given an Artiphon and a Korg MicroKey Air so I have hardware MIDI units to use as well.

At this point, I don't plan on doing much recording of an acoustic instrument type & given all the features Xequence has including traditional linear DAW and reasonable price point, I think that's likely why it was recommended to me. I just still don't understand what app(s) I need to use with it to generate the actual sound.

I'd be very interested to hear thoughts on possible app setups I might go with that would work with my current requirements (iOS Universal, primarily). Obviously, if anyone else could comment on this as well that would be excellent, too. Any additional information regarding what other app(s) will or won't work with Xequence (or similar) - and why - would be a huge gift and would help me to understand more about how MIDI apps work together, interdependently.

So, with the basic info now on my setup and what I'm looking for in apps, what setup(s) might you recommend? I'd love to hear some difference scenarios of possible app combinations that may work well together. :) Thanks so much!

(Edited to insert more paragraph breaks at the request of another forum member.)

• edited January 2018

Interesting! I don't know much about Quantum. Does it work with Xequence? Is it AU compatible?

Also saw someone recommend "Sunvox" but also can't tell much about what that is or how it compares to other options. I'm open to most anything!

• tjatja
    edited January 2018

Quantum is a multiple step sequencer, so without piano roll. No AU.

• @lifereinspired Please, make more use of the Return or Enter key!
    Lots more!

Thank you

• @lifereinspired I’d start with AudioShare, AUM and an AU synth or two (Zeeon’s a good bet, and Moog’s Model 15 can sound incredible) plus Xequence to record/edit/arrange MIDI and drive it all. You’ll likely want a reverb for the master (Eos2 by AudioDamage seems to be my go to, although there are plenty of options) and you may as well get the free AudioDamage compressor while you’re at it (RoughRider2). Maybe the Amazing Noises limiter too (it’s very cheap and very good).

When you do get an iPad, you can explore the delights of Patterning, Samplr and Auria Pro.

That’s my tuppence :)

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@tomato_juice said:

Audiobus, Cubasis, and Auria Pro don't support AUv3 midi, so they're not an option for hosting Rozeta. Yet.

AUM and BM3 support AUv3 midi, but BM3 isn't universal, so AUM is your only bet if you're interested in Rozeta. (Unless I've been asleep at the wheel and GarageBand now does?)

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

If I were you, I'd stop trying to plan this to the nth degree. I'd just start with one sequencer, one host, and a few synths, set some rules up for myself as to how much I'll spend a few rules (such as needing to understand what you already have before buying the next thing), and dive in.

I'm a techie too, but this isn't a corporate IT rollout. It's just having some fun on a cool little device.

Just my two cents. B)

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

My recommendation list from reading most of your posts - and skimming the tldr ones ;)

Sequencer: Xequence
    Host: AUM
    Synths: (depends on what kind of music you want to make)
    For added fun and to scratch your geek itch: Rozeta
    For just getting in there and making music without having to hassle anything: GarageBand.

Luckily (?) for you, wanting to use only universal apps limits your available choices.

• @wim said:

Audiobus, Cubasis, and Auria Pro don't support AUv3 midi, so they're not an option for hosting Rozeta. Yet.

AUM and BM3 support AUv3 midi, but BM3 isn't universal, so AUM is your only bet if you're interested in Rozeta. (Unless I've been asleep at the wheel and GarageBand now does?)

Thanks for steering us back into the ‘on topic’ lane mr @wim
    For what it’s worth, I can’t imagine many people regretting an AUM purchase.

As for the sequencers, they’re very different creatures these two. I’m hoping that a future version of Xequence will be able to record multiple lanes of MIDI simultaneously, to harvest some of Rozeta’s ephemeral magic. I’ve not tried yet, but I imagine this works in various iPad DAWs...

• @lifereinspired what sort of music are you looking to make? Do want to record it live? Construct it by hand? Some combo?

What is GarageBand not doing for you?

• tjatja
    edited January 2018

GarageBand?!?

That cannot be loaded in AudioBus or AUM, as far as I can remember.
    That makes it quite useless for any such type of usage.

If you just want to host Synths in a Host, GarageBand could be an option, of course.
    But why restricting yourself?!?

• I think, you want to use compatible Apps as much as possible.

So you can use multiple types of MIDI (piano roll sequencers, step sequencers, loop sequencers) and Audio (just Synths or loopers) Senders, effects and filters and be able record such MIDI and Audio and to exchange any such App by another - so you can switch everything to you what you like and want to experience.

That's the magic - and the way on iOS with so many great Apps.

And GarageBand is not the right entry into that, IMHO.

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@tja said:
    I think, you want to use compatible Apps as much as possible.

So you can use multiple types of MIDI (piano roll sequencers, step sequencers, loop sequencers) and Audio (just Synths or loopers) Senders, effects and filters and be able record such MIDI and Audio and to exchange any such App by another - so you can switch everything to you what you like and want to experience.

That's the magic - and the way on iOS with so many great Apps.

And GarageBand is not the right entry into that, IMHO.

So ... basically the best way to learn to drive is to go build a car. Right. ;)

Kidding aside .. @syrupcore 's questions are spot on. There are a gazillion options and directions one can take making music on iOS. If the goal is simply "making music" then GB is the quickest and cheapest way there. Obviously it has its limitations. Knowing which (if any!) are relevant to the OP is a great way of narrowing down what advice might be helpful.

• tjatja
    edited January 2018

Starting with AUM, one or two Synths and something like Xequence, Quantum, or Rozeta seems still better than GarageBand, or not?
    You directly learn the "right" way and can expand in any direction.
    Recommending GarageBand does not help in experiencing iOS music Apps and those vast possibilities, just GarageBand itself.

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

Nope. Starting with GarageBand seems better for someone just trying to break into the platform. At least to me.

On the other hand, @lifereinspired gives me the impression he could learn to surf by reading a book about it. So maybe you're right! ;)

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@tja said:
    Recommending GarageBand does not help in experiencing iOS music Apps and those vast possibilities, just GarageBand itself.

Not true. One can use IAA and AUv3 apps within GrarageBand just like anything else. And most concepts learned there are easily transferred to other hosts, except you get to learn them 1) For free, and 2) With less confusion and frustration than trying to learn to wire everything together at the same time.

Besides ... my take on what the OP is trying to do is to narrow down what's best to start with, rather than have his head (and credit card bill) explode with the zillions of possibilities.

• GarageBand is actually a perfect recommendation for someone getting into music? Not a limiting in any sense. The app was built on Mac as an entry level DAW and still manages to attract advanced iOS users. Having too many options when you’re just getting into making music on any platform tends to lead to being overwhelmed. Also, GarageBand is free. Very low risk, wouldn’t you say?

• @wim said:

@tja said:

Not true. One can use IAA and AUv3 apps within GrarageBand just like anything else. And most concepts learned there are easily transferred to other hosts, except you get to learn them 1) For free, and 2) With less confusion and frustration than trying to learn to wire everything together at the same time.

Besides ... my take on what the OP is trying to do is to narrow down what's best to start with, rather than have his head (and credit card bill) explode with the zillions of possibilities.

Oh look he beat me to it of course. :D

• @tja said:
    Starting with AUM, one or two Synths and something like Xequence, Quantum, or Rozeta seems still better than GarageBand, or not?
    You directly learn the "right" way and can expand in any direction.

This is very subjective. The 'right' way will depend on what the OP wants to do.

• tjatja
    edited January 2018

Now, this is a question for recommendations.

The biggest thing for me in iOS is the variety of Apps and many possibilities!
    A beginner should start in a way to recognize this and learn the right things.
    This will give them the right start.

So, I would never recommend GarageBand.

P.S. I also got the recommendation to start with GarageBand or Gadget.
    I think, both is plain wrong.
    You let people start on an island, that they may never leave again.

Better recommend them AUM, AudioBus, AudioShare, some Synths, some effects and even a DAW to put things together.
    This is the entrance to iOS music!

Yes, my subjective recommendation.
    Because the OP may not know what "he wants to do" - because of this, he may have asked for recommendations.

• edited January 2018

If that island suits them/him, he will be the happiest iOS musician.
    As soon as he hits the wall he will look for solutions.
    IMO something like Gadget or GarageBand exactly what one should start with.

• @wim said:
    My recommendation list from reading most of your posts - and skimming the tldr ones ;)

For just getting in there and making music without having to hassle anything: GarageBand.

Luckily (?) for you, wanting to use only universal apps limits your available choices.

Hey wim. This is very interesting. AUM & Xequence together.
    How do you do that? I’ve loaded instruments into AUM and mounted them in Xequence, but no sound :(
    A demo would be nice

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@Kühl said:

@wim said:

Hey wim. This is very interesting. AUM & Xequence together.
    How do you do that? I’ve loaded instruments into AUM and mounted them in Xequence, but no sound :(
    A demo would be nice

There’s a step by step guide near the end of the quick start guide.
    http://www.seven.systems/xequence/manual/#example-setups

If that doesn’t help then if you describe how you set it up I, or someone should be able to sort it out.