Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Complete Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra for Music Studio

EDIT: please let me know if there are any problems with the instruments and I'll try to fix them. For example, I think I found three instruments with nasty clicks and pops at the start of the samples. They have been fixed and can be downloaded here:

http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1710

Pffff, the work is done. I've converted the entire Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra library (SSO) to Music Studio Instrument Format. All credit for the sounds goes to Mattias Westlund, who compiled the original SSO library, which is available for free here: http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/. As a reference to the original library, I've added "SSO" at the end of each Music Studio instrument.

I've zipped the entire set of instruments (69 in total) into a single file that can be downloaded with the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5YFgTlKjm5FemFCNHZCUnAtRmM/edit?usp=sharing

After downloading on your iPod/iPhone/iPad, choose 'open with Music Studio'. Music studio wil unzip the file after which you can load the different instruments.

I really like Music Studio for its fast workflow and hope that you'll make some great music with these instruments.

@Alex of Xewton: thanks for this great app. I hope you'll make it even better in the future. A few suggestions for a future update:

• Track Freeze (I imagine that a handful of SSO intruments eat up memory pretty quickly. Track Freeze
    like in Cubasis would be a great addition to Music Studio)

• Inter App Audio Effects (Kymatica Space and Dub and Music Studio would make a good team...)

Maarten

Comments

• Thanks for these. Lots of time consuming work here.

• Is it compatible with FL Studio Mobile also?

• I believe the .inst format is common to both apps.

• Yes both apps support that format

• @Maarten Many thanks for this. This will breath some new life into MusicStudio.

About the samples, in the Cor Anglai preset (one of the three fixed presets in the first link) there's a nasty pop at the very end of at least some of the samples. I'll let you know if I find more.

• edited October 2013

Those clicks were at the very beginning of each cor anglais sample. Easily removed with the built in wave editor.

Lol. Just seen the edit in the original post. Carry on as you were. :)

The glockenspeil also needs fixing at the end of the samples, as do the timpani hits, the cymbal rolls and the solo sustained clarinet.

The bass drum has clicks at the beginning of the samples, so does the bell tree, the congas, the shaker, the snare, the tam tam and the cabasa.

The castanets have one of each problem...

Having said that, it's pretty damned good if that's all that's wrong with 69 sample instruments.
    I've seen commercial releases that were a lot worse than this.

• Thank you all for your comments. I will try to fix the corrupted samples asap and post the instruments again in the Musicstudio forum (I'll leave a message here too).

The strange thing is that I don't recall having heard these clicks and pops in the original Sonatina soundfont. I simply took the original wavs from this soundfont and imported them in the Musicstudio sampler (which is really easy and fast to work with by the way). All the clicks at the beginning of the samples had the same characteristic high square wave peak. This makes me wonder if the peaks maybe be caused by importing the samples into Musicstudio. Is this possible? If so, it is a waste of time correcting all the samples. I'd better bring this problem to the attention of the Musicstudio dev. That having been said, maybe the clicks were there in the original samples afterall. Could anyone please comment on this?

Maarten

• Not all the samples had the problem. Some had it at the beginning, some at the end. This makes me think it was not the import process. I fixed them all in Music Studio as I found them and posted the info, it only took an hour or so.

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. Could you please post the corrected instruments on the Music Studio forum?

Maarten

• edited October 2013

Sure, if you don't mind me doing so. It may be in 12 hours or thereabouts, I'm about to leave for work.

• @PaulB: Thank you very much! Maybe you could write a short comment in which you refer to our discussion here.

Music Studio might not be the most feature laden DAW at the moment and it could really use some updates to get it up to date, but I like it for laying down ideas. It is fast and intuitive. Also the sampler is really easy to use. I have plans for some more instruments. Does anyone of you know if it is legal to make instruments from Roland XP 30 sounds? This synth has been out of production for quite some time know. I'd love to make some instruments with The sounds of this synth, but don't know if Roland would like this. Any comments?

• @ChrisG: could you please let me know which of the Cor anglais samples has the click in the end. I can't seem to find it. Is it still present for you in the fixed version that I popsted on the Music Studio website? Maybe you could also give me the note names on which the click is heard. I'm still thinking that the problem maybe caused by the Musicstudio sampler as I haven't heard these clicks in the original Sonatina soundfont. I've sent the Musicstudio dev a mail concerning this issue. I'll post any information on this here also.

• @Maarten It's gone. I have no idea what caused it when I tried it yesterday. I Downloaded the fixed version again today, and tried both ones today. So I'm guessing some random Music Studio weirdness, sorry about that.

I did find another thing though, the F#4 and G4 notes on the "Violas Sustained SSO" preset are silent, although looking in the sampler the notes seems mapped (I only have MS on the iPhone right now, and I'm not familiar with its sampler, but from what I saw the samples are mapped), do you get the same issue on your end?

• @ChrisG. Same problem here. I posted it in the support section of the Musicstudio forum.

• Ok. Just got in. Sustained violas were NOT mapped on f#4 and g4, so I fixed it.
    Before I post the fixes, I should mention that I have renamed all the instruments to group them in the selection window by orchestral group and I made no note of the original names. Do you still want me to post the fixes?

• @PaulB: grouping them by orchestral group is a good idea. Is it too much of a hassle to rename them so its clear they belong to the other SSO instruments? If so, don't bother and go ahead. You can post them as they are. Thank you for your help.

• edited October 2013

Yeah, sorry, hassle.
    Should be fairly obvious which instruments they replace by looking in the instruments folder on the Project page, since that's the only place you can see the complete names of the originals.
    BTW, the new names are not truncated in the instrument selection window. That's part of the reason I renamed them.

• @PaulB: no problem.

• Ok, it's done. The link is in the same Music Studio forum thread.

http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1710

• edited October 2013

Great, thanks PaulB.

These are some really good samples, but as much as I like MS as it is the better sketch pad/full daw on a 3,5-4" mobile device UI wise, the Reverb is....it needs to go, be completely redesigned with new algorithms, it does not work at all on higher quality samples like the above. :/

• @ChrisG: I agree with your comment about the built in reverb. I've asked the dev to incorporate IAA effects in Musicstudio so we can use Kymatica's Space for better results. Fingers crossed ;-)

• Yea, on a per track basis, like inserts, would be sweet

• You can put MS in Audiobus in both input and output slots. Stick AUFX:Space in the effects slot and re-record your dry tracks with a much better reverb.

• Thanks, that would work. I got AUFX space and VirSyns reverb on the phone, never actually thought about using both the input and output in Audiobus to route the audio signal back, with apps supporting it, for some reason

• Can this be converted to BM2 also? I have FL studio, but it has a bug where it imports all instruments, but only seven can be chosen from the instrument list.

• @Raz: sure, it's a lot of work though. Download the original library from the Sonatina website. In there you'll find a directory called samples. All you have to, do is make a sampler instrument in BM2 for each individual orchestra instrument and map the corresponding samples correctly. Are you volunteering for the task? ;-)

• @Maarten user error, I was adding percussion instruments and those are being shown in a different tab. Thanks for the files, by the way :)