Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I just ordered an iPad. Which music apps are essential? Brand new to iOS productions.

2»

Comments

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I recently created a database of all my music apps, using a collection DB app called "mystuff2 Pro" , so I could keep track of everything I have, w/ a central place to link manuals/reviews/etc and to tabulate prices.

Wait, this app can somehow automatically collect all your purchases, or you have to add all items manually ??

• Go for the most stable ones. Well, forget about it... go for hardware.
    Ipad pro 12.9 2017 256gb useless for making music would be for sale, if it wasn’t for digital art.
    Still, it’s at least fast enought to find out quickly that barely nothing works flawlessly.
    Go for standalone apps!

• @Philippe said:
    Go for the most stable ones. Well, forget about it... go for hardware.
    Ipad pro 12.9 2017 256gb useless for making music would be for sale, if it wasn’t for digital art.

Exaggeration alert! My 2017 Pro 12.9" works perfectly fine with everything I throw at it.

• @dendy said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I recently created a database of all my music apps, using a collection DB app called "mystuff2 Pro" , so I could keep track of everything I have, w/ a central place to link manuals/reviews/etc and to tabulate prices.

Wait, this app can somehow automatically collect all your purchases, or you have to add all items manually ??

iOS won't allow any app to collect such information, although listing IAA/AU/AB capabilities would certainly be an interesting way to collect some of it.
    You have to add all these manually, nonetheless mystuff2 is one of the best inventory apps for the iPad IMHO.

• @u0421793 said:
    Is it time to mention Sunvox yet?

No... cause trackers are an annoying slow way to try and produce, especially for a newbie to iOS lol

• @rs2000 said:

@dendy said:

iOS won't allow any app to collect such information, although listing IAA/AU/AB capabilities would certainly be an interesting way to collect some of it.
    You have to add all these manually, nonetheless mystuff2 is one of the best inventory apps for the iPad IMHO.

yeah understand ... thanks for info

• @Anisonsei said:
    ... On desktop I use flstudio and cubase. I mainly produce with workstation samples,horns,strings, but I also use a lot of trancelike synth sounds. I don't know anything about iOS music production so I have no idea which dawisgood to purchase or what my options are regarding midi note writing piano rolls etc. I'm trying to purchase some things before the sell is over so I don't miss out on the good deals you guys can help set me up a basic iOS music production setup with my funds? I'd really appreciate any suggestions on apps

You don't want the iPad to be a desktop replacement, do you?
    I agree with people suggesting to get to grips with Garageband first and find out how you end up using iPad vs. desktop. From the variety of suggestions you can see that everybody has a different view of what is "essential".
    Hacking midi notes into the piano roll, recording audio tracks, work live with both audio and midi loops, play various instruments and create songs, all can be done inside Garageband quite well, and Alchemy might even be able to deliver most of your beloved trance sounds.
    The more apps we try, the more money we spend and the less time we have to create.

• edited January 2018

@brambos said:

@Philippe said:

Exaggeration alert! My 2017 Pro 12.9" works perfectly fine with everything I throw at it.

But you did say you are a "simple" synth man these days ;)
    But always when i say to Siri "Make me coffee" she says "Go and make it yourself and while you are in the kitchen, could you make a coffee for me too" :#

• Go insight article about IAA AU and Audiobus here if your new to iOS.

http://www.futuresonic.io/blog/audiobus-iaa-and-au-whats-the-difference

• Do at least check out the free version of Gadget; you'll quickly know whether you want to spring for it. (This also applies to other things that have a free version, like Music Studio, ToneStack, and SampleTank.) In general, if you have AUM and all the stuff that's free anyway (including GarageBand) you don't need to spend anything like $90, though it's hard not be tempted by Cubasis, BeatHawk, and at least one top-drawer synth while they're cheap.

• @brambos said:

@Philippe said:

If latency, crackling, and the usual hit and miss random midi, clock or audio connection hickups don’t bother you, fine. It personnaly kills flow if not preventing it completely for me.
    Latest ios version.

• edited January 2018

@Cib said:

@brambos said:

@Philippe said:

But you did say you are a "simple" synth man these days ;)
    But always when i say to Siri "Make me coffee" she says "Go and make it yourself and while you are in the kitchen, could you make a coffee for me too" :#

Even as a simple synth-man I know the statements “unusable” and “nothing works flawlessly” are quite simply not true. :)

• @Love3quency said:

@u0421793 said:
    Is it time to mention Sunvox yet?

No... cause trackers are an annoying slow way to try and produce, especially for a newbie to iOS lol

You can totally ignore the tracker in Sunvox and still have an amazing modular synth and effects rack for $3.

• edited January 2018

@rs2000 said:

@dendy said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

Yeah, I wish it could auto-gather the info .. would have saved a LOT of time. :) .. Took a couple rainy days to manually create all the entries (going on 300) including icon art, AU YES/NO field, screenshots with the app store description & of the app in action, plus I created two notepad entries for each app with pertinent info I gathered crawling the web (Tutorials, reviews and such) ... It didn't handle having over 13-14 pages of text in a single notepad entry w/o glitching out, hence the two per entry.

The only feature I would have loved for the app to have, would be a document repository, so I could store .PDF manuals. It does let you store over 40 images per entry though, and is very customizable, w/ many different options for how to layout your custom template. Very happy with it though ...worth the $9 imho. (I think there's a cheaper version as well; not sure what the differences are)

• Just get Grooverider and a sampler type app and save yourself many dollars and many headaches

• I wish I'd started with the classic apps. I've probably spent $600 on apps, and don't use 90% of them. The ones that I usually use have been around for years, and had time to develop, and get the features people want, stability, and connectivity, like MIDI, audiobus, iaa, link, etc. So much new stuff is lacking essential features, connectivity, and stability. Take a look at the ones that are old, but people still talk about reverently. Avoid ones that are old, that people gripe about consistently. iOS music is a world of near misses.

• @jwmmakerofmusic

basically things like these

I can copy the pretty much with cubase halion sonic sampler library, sylenth1 / zebra / spire synths, and some korg workstation librarys on computer,

I'm trying to figure out what the coolest apps are and stuff for iOS, as well as find a good "trance" synth like a Novation / Nord Lead / Sylenth type, and a workstation which I found it has Sample Tank so far lol then I'd like to find other stuff as well, I love Juno / Moog Basses and 808 909 kits