Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I made a song (Cubasis & VoxSyn)

edited December 2017 in Creations

Playing with Cubasis, VoxSyn and others. Not sure how many people will get it, but here it is...

[As requested, lyrics below...]

Songs of Hawkwind all remind us
Calvert was sublime
And departing left his voiceprints
In the sounds of time

But Captain Lockheed made a fool of you
Robert's lyrics didn't all ring true

Aerolon [sic]
Aerolon?
Aerolon

Viking surfers, test-tube robots
Anarchy and noise
Social comment, controversy
Poetry for boys

But drugs and space-ships, those were what he knew
Aviation, did he have a clue

Aerolon
Aerolon?
Aerolon

Robert's words were always edgy
Protest was his sound
Conscience, allegory, satire
Some might say profound

But Captain Lockheed gave the game away
Meaning's more than just the words we say

Aerolon
Aerolon?
AEROLON

Little wing

Comments

• @MarkH Interesting stuff. Would be grateful if you could add the lyrics (under the Spoiler maybe?). I like the vox effect, but it would help to be able to read along the once...have to say this does have a somewhat Hawkwindish Starfighter feel :)....I would also recommend Song of the Month Club (SOTMC) if you're so inclined....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MarkH Interesting stuff. Would be grateful if you could add the lyrics (under the Spoiler maybe?).

Okay, done that. Not sure if I have a song a month in me though :)

• it's a great song with even big hit potential, very catchy... but a bit stuck on sketchy.
    (all parts match well, just don't live up to their full potential)
    Drums lack some body, that bassline is pleading for a classic Precision bass, the effect blurrs the vocals way too much.
    But that's just about production - the thing itself rules imho, it's outstanding B)

• edited December 2017

@MarkH said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MarkH Interesting stuff. Would be grateful if you could add the lyrics (under the Spoiler maybe?).

Okay, done that. Not sure if I have a song a month in me though :)

Ah well, that's kind of the point. In a world of (variably) perfect 16 bar loops It is/was a little out of the way back room designed to help us get on and finish things...for all of that there are a number of 'members' who come by more irregularly. It's a good place to get (and give) some reasonably supportive but constructive criticism which is (invariably) useful.

I'm tagging @MonzoPro on this as I consider him the forum's leading Hawkwind authority....

• edited December 2017

@MarkH they say to write about what you know. I'm not actually convinced about this, but it's often good starting-point advice. I think the lyrics here are excellent and mostly-wholly English. Or at least European, where men have hobbies and sheds (if even only of the metaphorical kind). I presume you are far more interested in aspects of flight than the average bear.

Some (many) maintain that the words of things in songs are largely secondary and many write them in keeping with that idea, which also means that it doesn't much matter if you can understand what's being said/sung. I disagree. This is also why, while I like the delivery (effect) here, I would prefer the casual listener to have more of a shot to get what you're going on about. Meaning's more than just the words we say.

Technical crit: Second and third verses (or their initial phrasing) seem to fit more perfectly. I think the singing/timing (maybe it's just the coming in) for the first verse seems a hair more hesitant.

It's good.

• edited December 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I would prefer the casual listener to have more of a shot to get what you're going on about. Meaning's more than just the words we say.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here - that the vocal is too fuzzy in the mix or that it's too 'enigmatic'. If the latter, we are not going to agree! I despise the 'lyrics' line for its Channel 5-style exposition, but I couldn't come up with anything more oblique in the time available. As Scott Adams once said, 'it's not funny if I have to explain it'.

I kind of regret the focus on the song, actually. I know I led with it but I was really posting the 'making of' video :)

• tjatja
    edited December 2017

An interesting Making Of!
    Thanks

BTW, can VoxSyn do its work only on microphone input?
    Or also on other streams (IAA, AUM,...) or plain audio files?

• @tja said:
    BTW, can VoxSyn do its work only on microphone input?
    Or also on other streams (IAA, AUM,...) or plain audio files?

Thanks. I was initially dismayed because you can't load files into VoxSyn, but of course once you realise it can be used as a filter it becomes very flexible. So, for example, I did my recordings by setting it up in AUM with AudioShare as the source and VoxSyn as the filter. Likewise you can do this inside Cubasis, and probably fifty other ways too. It's IAA only though, so you can only have one at a time.

• @MarkH said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I would prefer the casual listener to have more of a shot to get what you're going on about. Meaning's more than just the words we say.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here - that the vocal is too fuzzy in the mix or that it's too 'enigmatic'. If the latter, we are not going to agree! I despise the 'lyrics' line for its Channel 5-style exposition, but I couldn't come up with anything more oblique in the time available. As Scott Adams once said, 'it's not funny if I have to explain it'.

I kind of regret the focus on the song, actually. I know I led with it but I was really posting the 'making of' video :)

I think you've misunderstood me. Easily done. And if you knew some of my own lyrics I think you'd know already that compared to the real musicians hereabouts I always value the words more than the tune. Was talking solely about the clarity not the content.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I think you've misunderstood me...Was talking solely about the clarity not the content.

Fair enough, and since you're not the only one to say so I guess it's a bit fuzzy. Of course it sounds perfectly clear to me, but I did listen to it about fifty times while I was making it :)

• @MarkH said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I think you've misunderstood me...Was talking solely about the clarity not the content.

Fair enough, and since you're not the only one to say so I guess it's a bit fuzzy. Of course it sounds perfectly clear to me, but I did listen to it about fifty times while I was making it :)

It's always a trade off I suppose. And that's why we like our lyric sheet. All obvious once you sing along...perhaps the punchline (as it were) is particularly significant here because to those of us ignorant of aviation hearing the (key) word Aerolon is puzzling. We KNOW it's important, but we have no clue what you're saying. Made me feel much like my dog with head cocked to one side, wanting to help, but with no idea what I'm muttering about over and over again.. (not such a bad thing perhaps, he is a lovely dog...)

• Pretty wild, thats not the kind of music i would expect to hear from an ipad!

I thought I had VoxSyn but I actually have Voice Synth which does some similar effects.

• I like the post-punk feel of the tune and don’t want it to be more “produced”. And if people want a lyric sheet, they can hit you up for it. I like this song. Don’t ruin it. Move on to next good song. That is all.

• Nice tutorial as well!

• Thanks all for the encouragement :)