Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 Learnings

13»

Comments

• So the only way to do this seems to be to create a pattern with the corresponding midi note to keep retriggering the loop. Meh...

• @Munibeast said:
    So the only way to do this seems to be to create a pattern with the corresponding midi note to keep retriggering the loop. Meh...

you must be one of them launchpadders. ;)

• Quick, no doubt clodworthy, question: In the song timeline, when one has selected the bits and bobs of your choosing, what's the difference between 'repeat' and 'duplicate'?

• edited December 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Quick, no doubt clodworthy, question: In the song timeline, when one has selected the bits and bobs of your choosing, what's the difference between 'repeat' and 'duplicate'?

Duplicate makes a copy with a new name. Edit the copy and the original is untouched. Repeat makes instances of the original. Edit either one and both are edited. You can do multiple repeats and have multiple instances of the same source.

• @AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Quick, no doubt clodworthy, question: In the song timeline, when one has selected the bits and bobs of your choosing, what's the difference between 'repeat' and 'duplicate'?

Duplicate makes a copy with a new name. Edit the copy and the original is untouched. Repeat makes instances of the original. Edit either one and both are edited. You can do multiple repeats and have multiple instances.

Ah, that old clever thing. Very useful when it's useful. Thank you Mister Gus.

• I agree @Munibeast that a latch mode for triggering pads would be useful. Like you say cells in Scene view do function that way.

All traces of @StudioES wiped away. wtf :o

• @ecamburn said:
    Hope everything's ok with ya @StudioES

@tja you're into an area of the app that I find confusing too. The app is crazy flexible and deep. Within a bank, you can sequence multiple plugins loaded onto multiple pads, and also sequence one shot samples loaded onto other pads. And it will all work just fine. FWIW, having banks perform specialized purposes (as described in my doc) helps me keep things straight (basically, I don't go where you're trying to go :) ). I'll have one bank serve as a drum sampler (loading one shots on to pads), but I won't load any plugins into that bank. If I want to sequence sounds from a plugin, I place it into a separate bank. This is similar to what you'd do in a standard DAW, you'd have a drum sampler (like NI Battery) on one track, and a drum plugin (like ruismaker) on a separate track.

When it comes to editing recorded MIDI in the Pattern editor, it's really easy to get lost. I don't have all the answers to your questions, but here are a couple thoughts that will hopefully help.

*It's really important to know what view you have activated (either Keys mode or Pad mode), and which pad is selected. What's displayed in the pattern editor varies depending on "where you are". Make sure to check the pattern ruler on the left side of the pattern editor. It displays what pad is selected.

*When you record MIDI for a plugin, it is recorded on to the pad the plugin is loaded on. So you'll only "see" the MIDI that you've recorded for that plugin if the pad hosting the plugin in selected. Since MIDI data for a plugin is pad specific, to see the notes you recorded for the plugin you have to bey in Keys mode. You will also "see" C3 notes displayed (if in Keys mode) if you tapped this pad while recording in Pad mode.

*What MIDI data actually gets recorded when you record in pad mode is still a bit of a mystery to me. It's not clear what actual MIDI notes are being recorded. When you toggle to Keys mode, only the notes that have been recorded for the selected pad are shown, and notes recorded in pad mode are displayed as C3. In Keys mode of course, when you record MIDI by tapping pads, the MIDI notes displayed on the pads are what gets recorded.

*While I find Pad mode confusing at times, I also find the pad mode display in the pattern editor to be very useful, if your bank is set up so that's only hosting samples, not plugins. When a bank is set up this way, the pattern editor when in pad mode only one row per pad. This makes it really efficient to sequence MIDI (and edit it in the pattern editor) for a bank set up to only host samples.

Thanks a bunch.
    Your hints and tips got me to try BM3 again, but I still have loads of problems with it.
    But I try to continue :)

You did not possibly read and understand, what @StudioES did write about "option 0" and the Mapping?

• tjatja
    edited December 2017

@AudioGus some feedback on you examples with slices samples:

At first, I am not even able to load a sound file as Audio Track. I realy tried.

I understood, that you sliced a sample from one pad to several pads and that this also created a MIDI pattern, which is quite interesting.

But to be honest I would have not one idea why I would do this - I mean, for what reason or which goal.

Also, the possibilities to create the slices seem to be quite basic - either a fixed grid of some order or making all of the slices larger or smaller.

Shouldn't this better be based on points, where the Audio is silent? But this would give slices of different sizes.
    Just saying, that I would not expect useful slices from this method.
    Anyway ...

Did you possibly notice what StudioES did write about Mappings?

• @tja said:
    @AudioGus some feedback on you examples with slices samples:

At first, I am not even able to load a sound file as Audio Track. I realy tried.

I understood, that you sliced a sample from one pad to several pads and that this also created a MIDI pattern, which is quite interesting.

But to be honest I would have not one idea why I would do this - I mean, for what reason or which goal.

Also, the possibilities to create the slices seem to be quite basic - either a fixed grid of some order or making all of the slices larger or smaller.

Shouldn't this better be based on points, where the Audio is silent? But this would give samples of different sizes.
    Just saying, that I would not expect useful slices from this method.

Sometimes I place slices by hand, sometimes I use a grid. Both are useful for me.

Anyway ...

Did you possibly notice what StudioES did write about Mappings?

Hmmm, I saw it but it wasn't relevant to me so I don't really remember. Maybe send him a message.

• @tja said:

Create an audio track, go to song mode, find an audio file in the sample browser, then drag it onto the timeline. I don’t think you can drag from the files app right to the timeline, though. You need to drag it into the sample browser first, then onto the timeline.

So you can mess around with it to make new patterns. Maybe leave out, substitute, change the pitch of, or rearrange notes. Apply FX to individual slices, reverse them, apply all kinds of automation, envelopes, loop and oscillate them. The possibilities are mind boggling.

But @AudioGus interesting point was that the app was more responsive having done this than when they’re just in there as audio tracks. As the saying goes, “When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade!”

There is supposed to be a transient detect slicing algorithm but it got left out of the final release due to it not working to the developer’s satisfaction. It hasn’t found its way back in yet.

Shouldn't this better be based on points, where the Audio is silent? But this would give slices of different sizes.

Yes. Much needed, but the editor is so good this isn’t as hard to manage as you might think.

• @wim Thanks a bunch, that did help!

BTW, I made 2 mistakes with the Audio Track.

1) I did not create a new track, an audio track - and the default track is not an audio track.

2) I did not come to the idea to "drag" something.

Very strange idea... I used "Load Sample", but this does not work.

Why in all the world dragging?!? Why not loading with a "Load" button as any other App in the world? More and more Apps tend to introduce things like drags, two finger taps, two finger slides and I don't know what else. This is not a good direction, I think.
    But this is fruitless rambling, sorry.

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

@tja said:
    Why in all the world dragging?!? Why not loading with a "Load" button as any other App in the world? More and more Apps tend to introduce things like drags, two finger taps, two finger slides and I don't know what else. This is not a good direction, I think.

So you can plop it right where you want it on the timeline as opposed to loading it, having it land at the first bar in the timeline, maybe in top of some other clip, then having to scroll there, drag it to where you want it, etc.

This makes perfect sense to me, and is consistent with how non-Audio patterns are placed on the timeline as well. It’s also consistent with every other DAW I have. So, I’m not sure I’m with you on “as any other App in the world,” my friend. ;)

It would be nice to be able to drag from the files app right to the timeline though. I used to love this workflow on the PC with good ol FL Studio.

• @tja said:
    You did not possibly read and understand, what @StudioES did write about "option 0" and the Mapping?

Unfortunately I didn't see the posts before they were deleted.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

So you can plop it right where you want it on the timeline as opposed to loading it, having it land at the first bar in the timeline, maybe in top of some other clip, then having to scroll there, drag it to where you want it, etc.

This makes perfect sense to me, and is consistent with how non-Audio patterns are placed on the timeline as well. It’s also consistent with every other DAW I have. So, I’m not sure I’m with you on “as any other App in the world,” my friend. ;)

It would be nice to be able to drag from the files app right to the timeline though. I used to love this workflow on the PC with good ol FL Studio.

I have a dream that one day files app will allow for plugins or shells and that the kind folks at Resonic will bring Resonic Pro to iOS.

https://resonic.at/pro

• @wim I see your points now, thank you!

• edited January 2018

Doc updated with section on audio export. Here's the link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13lPCQbYtZ1rG30s3CnuNPmhY6AbzvGn3suhoxjZgzXM

• Got it :)
    Thanks a bunch!

• @ecamburn said:
    Doc updated with section on audio export. Here's the link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13lPCQbYtZ1rG30s3CnuNPmhY6AbzvGn3suhoxjZgzXM

Thanks Mister Eric.

• I'm sure this is already somewhere among the forest of BM3 material, but I love this Quicktip from Intua (which I had somehow not come across before):

2 minutes to show how to assign different other apps (plugins) to different pads and layer them. Sort of thing my head would usually melt over, but so simple as shown here and, of course, a perfect way to spend the rest of the day making your own 'multis'. Wish they did a hundred of these.

• Guys is there a way to show CPU levels on home screen or any screen of BM3 other than settings?

• Cool tip @JohnnyGoodyear .

I gave the sample editing/timestretching tools a pretty good workout this weekend. Very nicely implemented IMO.