Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepPolyArp

I got StepPolyArp in the Black Friday app grab. It's cool, so I thought I'd make a video...

Comments

• Thanks - I use it with Quatum. It’s great with that.

• Well done, thank you!

• Fantastic. SPA makes it into so many of my mixers. Subscribing!

@MarkH, do you have a twitter account?

• Also, your delight at 25:48 is pretty funny.

• @ALB said:
    Thanks - I use it with Quatum. It’s great with that.

What is our setup, ALB?

• @MarkH, do you have a twitter account?

Sorry, no. I only just got an iPhone this year :)

• @ALB said:

How do you use them together? It seems like there is a lot of overlap in their functionality.

• Really interesting video!!
    Thanks a lot!!
    Happy christmas!

• That’s some killer bass tone you got going on there. I modified that preset as well many times. Great stuff. Thanks!

• Fascinating stuff @MarkH , thanks. Makes me want to buy SPA B)

• edited December 2017

Im in love with SPA and I want to marry it

• edited December 2017

@MarkH I have long loved SPA, but your thoughtful video has made me think about it in a slightly different (better) light and for that I thank you for the effort.

• Great video. Thank you for sharing. I open this app quite regularly and enjoy the few moments I spend with it but never delve deep enough to realize the potential it offers. I never bothered with the velocity or modulation because I usually use the built in sounds due to simplicity. But after connecting to Zeeon, I grasp the endless possibilities that unfolds before me. Thanks again.

• Terrific video. That was a very fast 30 minutes. More, please.
    One question: if you were to record this in Cubasis, what would the routing be? SPA would be in Cubasis, right? And Zeeon—Cubasis doesn’t need to know about it?

• edited December 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Terrific video. That was a very fast 30 minutes. More, please.
    One question: if you were to record this in Cubasis, what would the routing be? SPA would be in Cubasis, right? And Zeeon—Cubasis doesn’t need to know about it?

Haven't seen the video yet but it would actually be the opposite. Zeon would be In cubasis. SPA could be outside cubasis and just receive clock and midi from it while sending midi back to the track hosting zeon. Since it recieves IAA clock sync as well it could also exist inside cubasis so both would be in the daw.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    One question: if you were to record this in Cubasis, what would the routing be?

Very good question, and having just started playing with all this stuff I am still figuring it out. I have done it two ways to date. In the video I am running SPA and Zeeon inside Audiobus as the MIDI source and receiver. Zeeon has to be an AU3. The Zeeon audio output then goes to AUM, which lets me record it and record my USB mic at the same time.

To record audio into Cubasis I have tried the same setup but with Cubasis in place of AUM. Then in Cubasis you just need an audio track with the routing from Audiobus/Zeeon (instance). That's as far as I have got. It is a bit of a jungle with the routing but it seems harder because Zeeon doesn't seem to do IAA.

@ExAsperis99 said:
    And Zeeon—Cubasis doesn’t need to know about it?

You can get this to play Zeeon and I guess you can record it externally with AUM or just from the headphone socket, but I can't see how to get the audio into Cubasis without (a) running it in Cubasis as an AU3 or (b) running it in Audiobus and AB feeding Cubasis the audio as described above. I think it should be possible to run both SPA and Zeeon inside Cubasis but I haven't figured out how to make that work yet...

• @MarkH said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Very good question, and having just started playing with all this stuff I am still figuring it out. I have done it two ways to date. In the video I am running SPA and Zeeon inside Audiobus as the MIDI source and receiver. Zeeon has to be an AU3. The Zeeon audio output then goes to AUM, which lets me record it and record my USB mic at the same time.

To record audio into Cubasis I have tried the same setup but with Cubasis in place of AUM. Then in Cubasis you just need an audio track with the routing from Audiobus/Zeeon (instance). That's as far as I have got. It is a bit of a jungle with the routing but it seems harder because Zeeon doesn't seem to do IAA.

@ExAsperis99 said:

You can get this to play Zeeon and I guess you can record it externally with AUM or just from the headphone socket, but I can't see how to get the audio into Cubasis without (a) running it in Cubasis as an AU3 or (b) running it in Audiobus and AB feeding Cubasis the audio as described above. I think it should be possible to run both SPA and Zeeon inside Cubasis but I haven't figured out how to make that work yet...

Well. If cubasis can send clock out you just need to send it to step poly arp. And send midi to the step poly arp port. And the. Send midi back to cubasis on the lane hosting zeon. You should easily be able to record midi that way.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    One question: if you were to record this in Cubasis, what would the routing be? SPA would be in Cubasis, right?

Or if you meant recording MIDI, then yes :)

• edited December 2017

@MarkH said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    One question: if you were to record this in Cubasis, what would the routing be? SPA would be in Cubasis, right?

Or if you meant recording MIDI, then yes :)

Guys. If you want step poly arp to follow chords that you input in a lane. And then send the midi back into a lane hosting Zeeon in cubasis you need to keep step poly arp outside cubasis. Since alteast in my testing it doesn’t seem like cubasis lets you send midi between lanes unless you use virtual midi cables or external apps.

Here’s how to do it:-

With this setup you can just enter notes or chords in the step poly arp lane and it should let you record the midi in the Zeeon lane.
    If you want to mess around with the onscreen keyboard while recording the processed midi record arm both layers and select the step poly arp track to play it live.
    You can see an example of this here:-

Hope this helps @ExAsperis99 :)

• Use something like this:

Audiobus preset 'Core': http://preset.audiob.us/sVZjbxB5GsuFH7L

You can use different MIDI Senders, here I used:

modstep, Quantum, Scale Play and Suggester.

You can record this MIDI directly in Cubasis as well as over StepPolyArp and additionally ChordPolyPad.

It also gets send to AUM, where you can host any Synths, here LayR and mood.

This is the best layout that I could find, so far.

• @tja said:
    Use something like this:

Audiobus preset 'Core': http://preset.audiob.us/sVZjbxB5GsuFH7L

You can use different MIDI Senders, here I used:

modstep, Quantum, Scale Play and Suggester.

You can record this MIDI directly in Cubasis as well as over StepPolyArp and additionally ChordPolyPad.

It also gets send to AUM, where you can host any Synths, here LayR and mood.

This is the best layout that I could find, so far.

I'm curious. How do you get step poly arp to clock via audiobus3 ? Does cubasis actually change it's tempo ? I've genuinely never tried cubasis with audiobus3 properly.... Will need to experiment.

• This is far beyond my simple understanding.
    How would you test this?

In my tests, everything seems to work - but I cannot say so about the clock.
    How could I notice, if this does not work?

• edited December 2017

When you record the midi. Is it perfectly in time ? Or do you need to move the notes to adjust it to the grid ? Method I showed above it's pretty spot on.

• ALBALB
    edited December 2017

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ALB said:

How do you use them together? It seems like there is a lot of overlap in their functionality.

also to @MarkH: you point Quantum to SPA in AUM.

• tjatja
    edited December 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    When you record the midi. Is it perfectly in time ? Or do you need to move the notes to adjust it to the grid ? Method I showed above it's pretty spot on.

I wanted to test this, but somehow ChordPolyPad is not receiving MIDI anymore.

I will try to rebuild this from scratch...
    Hopefully, not some App update changed the behavior :o

• @ALB said:

Can you say a bit more about that? I took a quick look at Quantum (and now I want it of course) but I can't get my head around what you would do by getting Quantum to sequence SPA. (I am presuming you aren't just doing it to get SPA's built-in sounds.)

• @MarkH said:

@ALB said:

Can you say a bit more about that? I took a quick look at Quantum (and now I want it of course) but I can't get my head around what you would do by getting Quantum to sequence SPA. (I am presuming you aren't just doing it to get SPA's built-in sounds.)

Hey - I’m away from my iPad today but if I recall correctly, I know that you can load synths in AUM and have both quantum and Spa in there as well. I believe that both are triggering the synths and/or quantum is triggering Spa. I’ll try to show some screenshots later. It’s really not too futzy.

• Yeah in AUM you can have both Quantum to SPA and SPA to Synths! Works great and adds tons of variations!

@ALB said:

@MarkH said:

@ALB said:

Hey - I’m away from my iPad today but if I recall correctly, I know that you can load synths in AUM and have both quantum and Spa in there as well. I believe that both are triggering the synths and/or quantum is triggering Spa. I’ll try to show some screenshots later. It’s really not too futzy.

• edited December 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MarkH said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Well. If cubasis can send clock out you just need to send it to step poly arp. And send midi to the step poly arp port. And the. Send midi back to cubasis on the lane hosting zeon. You should easily be able to record midi that way.

I think that setup will work.
    BUT... as I understand it, you can’t record the actual midi SPA is producing, only the think YOU play on the keyboard.
    SPA needs to reproduce the arpeggio again when you play the recorded midi.

Thesys, on the other hand, should be able to record the actual midi of the arpeggiator.
    Or am I wrong? I’m just a guitarist :smile: