Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @jimpavloff said:

@DaveMagoo said:
    @jimpavloff

I have a bug to squash.

The FX are not selecting as expected and the graphic that shows the tick for the selected fx stays on the default and I can’t get the filter to work.

I have done a screen grab video if you wish I can send to u (let me know where to)?

The tick won't change until you save your pattern. It shows the last saved value. You can send a video to [email protected]

Ah that makes sense now! I think the filter env was up too high to hear the cutoff... all good again :)

• @rs2000 said:

@chandroji said:
    I was / I’m very interested in Digitakt! I would be very happy to save more than 600.-€ using GR instead Digitakt. Is it really comparable? What about the workflow? I’ve stayed away from Digitakt because I was afraid for a high learning curve and a complicated workflow?

The Digitakt has insane hands-on control, is much easier to work with than an Octatrack/OT2...

Thanks a lot for mentioning it. Octatrack was also on my Radar...

and as a lot of its workflow is based around sampling, samples, resampling and control/modulation, plus 8 MIDI tracks that can also be used as CC controller tracks (for your external MIDI synths or iPad apps) including all the parameter locking and CC modulation features, it's not really comparable.

So far I was not so much in sampling but in midi. Since I use an iPad for music I’m interested more and more in sampling functionality. In this case I just beginning to understand the possibility’s of sampling.

GR on the other hand has synthesis and FX features on each part which are deeper than what the Digitakt can offer. On paper, yes, the features look similar, but working with both is quite a different experience overall.

As a result, what you compose on the Digitakt will certainly sound different from what you do on Gr-16.

Thanks you pointing it out!

The UI in GR looks more useable and cleaner for me than the Digitakt.

You cannot judge until you've taken your time with the Digitakt and actually worked with it.
    If the music store is not too far away from you, then just try it for a few hours, but make sure to watch enough Digitakt youtube videos before so you know what to expect.

You are right!
    At my last two visits at my local music store I was playing around with Digitakt for 2 x 30 minutes. Hoping to figure out how DT works. I just realized that I need more time with it before I understand how everything works.

Many YouTube videos inspire me and I like the sound DT can produce.

It's still definitely a "technical" instrument geared towards rhythmic, electronic and experimental styles.

I’m quite interested in some experimental, electronic and polyrhythmic music. 👍

It's also better to use it frequently because I have to admit that it's easier to remember how to use GR than all the little tricks in the Digitakt - if you want to make the best use of it, that is.

I can imagine what you mean.

Hey, if you preferred a blues band, you would just have joined one instead, right? B)

I’m coming from a Folk/Blues/Rock background but also interested in electronic music especially Berlin School, Ambient and some experimental stuff. That’s why I love my iPad with all these amazing music apps. 🎶

One question:
    Can I control GR with an Arturia Beatstep Controller? With the new Midi Learn Funktion in GR it seems it can be the perfect controller for GR. If so will Beatstep reflect al the GR states in their lightning pads?

I find the on-screen controls of GR good enough and although I own a beatstep myself, I'd rather save the space on my desk and/or put a blofeld instead.

Thanks a lot for mentioning it. 👍 In fact I don’t want more and more controllers on my desk.

And no, AFAIK there is no way for you to add LED feedback from GR, that's something that @jimpavloff would have to implement in GR.
    Parameter feedback has always been a weak spot of many MIDI-controllable FX/Synths/DAWs

You prevented me buying a Beatstep, thanks a lot!

GR has another big advantage: You can take and play it anywhere!

👍🎶🎶🎶

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback @rs2000 , very much appreciate it! 🙂

@Dawdles said:
    Hold on for the Drambo app videos/reviews if you aren’t in a hurry. The dev has mentioned digitakt as reference point and it sounds really promising....

Thanks a lot for your advice @Dawdles
    I will look forward for Drambo and I’m curious about the functionality of this app. I can imagine that Drambo can be a dealbreaker for me.

And honestly, I like the idea not to invest in more hardware gear. It’s amazing what can the iPad do for us when devs like Bram Bos working out excellent software for it. 👍🎶🎶🎶

Thank you so much for your feedback!

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Preset sounds really peaks my interest!

Very useful. Although I'm struggling to see how to create/name banks? 'user' is OK as last resort but not so great if you make a ton of bass/lead/pad/noise/kicks/snares/hats and so on and have to sift through to find what you're looking for....Is 'bank create/name' currently possible @jimpavloff ? Thanks

Currently there is only one User presets bank. Will think about adding more in the future.

Swiping to rename and or reorder presets would be sweet, same would go for patterns.

@jimpavloff not to be too demanding, especially on the heels of a game changer update but if I may suggest as you reach the completion of the development of this app that you consider integrating the dropdown menus on all screen functions. What I mean is, for example the MFX, you can change the FX via the jogwheel or you can use the dropdown menu on screen, the same applies for things like scales etc. Anyway the pattern edit screen has many opportunities for new dropdowns to be added, for example the Plocks, the velocities, the note etc. More touch based controls on the screen to augment or substitute the jogwheel would really boost workflow for some of us!

• @jimpavloff Is there any way you can make the filter dial display in frequency numbers hz/khz.
    Also a sample volume increase/decrease by dragging up/down on the waveform in the sample edit window?

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Is there any way you can make the filter dial display in frequency numbers hz/khz.
    Also a sample volume increase/decrease by dragging up/down on the waveform in the sample edit window?

Yes, there must be some way to display in khz. About the volume - there's is already a dedicated part Level knob for this on the same screen. Besides, dragging the waveform is already used for zooming.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Is there any way you can make the filter dial display in frequency numbers hz/khz.

Yes, there must be some way to display in khz. About the volume - there's is already a dedicated part Level knob for this on the same screen. Besides, dragging the waveform is already used for zooming.

Ok cool yes the khz would be great

• @jimpavloff

Thanks for bluetooth midi integration!

• And I remember about recording mode, it just turned out that it's not so easy to implement.

Worth it?

• edited June 2018

Thanks for the Bluetooth MIDI hosting, makes connecting to SPAu quick and snappy...
    Is it just me with latency issues or, this is normal?

• @RajahP said:
    Thanks for the Bluetooth MIDI hosting, makes connecting to SPAu quick and snappy...

Latency when doing what?
    Playing live?
    Midi Sync?

• @rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Latency when doing what?
    Playing live?
    Midi Sync?

Playing live from another device (iPhone) via bluetooth midi.. The recording does quantize... but live, there is latency..

• edited June 2018

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Latency when doing what?
    Playing live?
    Midi Sync?

Playing live from another device (iPhone) via bluetooth midi.. The recording does quantize... but live, there is latency..

I can only say that using a bluetooth keyboard or a MIDI keyboard with bluetooth dongles attached to the MIDI ports, latency is negligible. As long as you don't use bluetooth headphones, that is. BT audio has much higher latency than the BT MIDI link.

What is "SPAu"?

• Stepollyarp unit> @rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Latency when doing what?
    Playing live?
    Midi Sync?

I can only say that using a bluetooth keyboard or a MIDI keyboard with bluetooth dongles attached to the MIDI ports, latency is negligible. As long as you don't use bluetooth headphones, that is. BT audio has much higher latency than the BT MIDI link.

What is "SPAu"?

ok.. will give it some more test here... Maybe it's on me.

StepPolyArp Unit

• I need a bit of help/advice please.
    I am using Grooverider in Aum and using an external midi app to trigger pads in Grooverider, the problem I am having is when trying to record this the pattern starts playing (using A62 Outro 1), how can I just record what is being triggered by the midi program and not have the main pattern playing when I start recording?

• Any idea how to get the track to return to bar 1 so I can overdub?

Currently I double tap stop but it stays on bar 2 which is doing my head in!

• edited June 2018

@spidergod said:
    I need a bit of help/advice please.
    I am using Grooverider in Aum and using an external midi app to trigger pads in Grooverider, the problem I am having is when trying to record this the pattern starts playing (using A62 Outro 1), how can I just record what is being triggered by the midi program and not have the main pattern playing when I start recording?

First of all, connect your ext. midi app to GrooveRider directly. Still the same issue?
    Edit: I guess what you want is pushing the SOLO button on the mixer channel of the instrument you're recording in GR.

@DaveMagoo said:
    Any idea how to get the track to return to bar 1 so I can overdub?

What do you mean by "track"?
    In a pattern it works as expected.

• @rs2000 said:

@spidergod said:

First of all, connect your ext. midi app to GrooveRider directly. Still the same issue?

Hello
    I have tried as you suggested direct to Grooverider and not using Aum and still the same issue :(, I have made sure Ableton Link and IAA sync is disabled.

Not sure what else to do at present.

Thanks

• @rs2000 said:

@spidergod said:

Edit: I guess what you want is pushing the SOLO button on the mixer channel of the instrument you're recording in GR.

@DaveMagoo said:
    Any idea how to get the track to return to bar 1 so I can overdub?

What do you mean by "track"?
    In a pattern it works as expected.

Apologies, my lack of experience with the app shining through unfortunately....although I have to say it’s an absolute pleasure to use with my feet up whilst soaking up the hot sun :)

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Apologies, my lack of experience with the app shining through unfortunately....although I have to say it’s an absolute pleasure to use with my feet up whilst soaking up the hot sun :)

Well in that case: Enjoy B)

• edited June 2018

@RajahP said:
    Stepollyarp unit> @rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Latency when doing what?
    Playing live?
    Midi Sync?

What is "SPAu"?

StepPolyArp Unit

Ok... did a test with Beatmaker 3 Bluetooth Midi in... and it seem to be syncing ‘very well’ with SPA...
    There seem to have a latency issue within GR-16 (Bluetooth midi).. I think..

Anyone else?

• @RajahP said:

@RajahP said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Latency when doing what?
    Playing live?
    Midi Sync?

What is "SPAu"?

StepPolyArp Unit

Ok... did a test with Beatmaker 3 Bluetooth Midi in... and it seem to be syncing ‘very well’ with SPA...

Anyone else?

Playing GR-16 over a bluetooth MIDI interface @ 128 samples audio buffer gives me varying latency measurement values between 40 and 50 milliseconds from hitting a key until sound out of the iPad speaker.
    The same measurement with Beatmaker 3 @128 samples audio buffer gives me 41..55ms latency.
    It doesn't look like there's much difference between the two.

• @rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@RajahP said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Latency when doing what?
    Playing live?
    Midi Sync?

What is "SPAu"?

StepPolyArp Unit

Anyone else?

Playing GR-16 over a bluetooth MIDI interface @ 128 samples audio buffer gives me varying latency measurement values between 40 and 50 milliseconds from hitting a key until sound out of the iPad speaker.
    The same measurement with Beatmaker 3 @128 samples audio buffer gives me 41..55ms latency.
    It doesn't look like there's much difference between the two.

Ok, back to the lab...Thanks..

• @jimpavloff and anyone else Is there anyway to export Pattern and Chain stems with or via MFX Touchpad effect it seems not and the only way to bounce the audio with MFX is bouncing each tracks audio one by one?

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff and anyone else Is there anyway to export Pattern and Chain stems with or via MFX Touchpad effect it seems not and the only way to bounce the audio with MFX is bouncing each tracks audio one by one?

There's no way to do it, it is only possible when exporting master audio output of a pattern or chain.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff and anyone else Is there anyway to export Pattern and Chain stems with or via MFX Touchpad effect it seems not and the only way to bounce the audio with MFX is bouncing each tracks audio one by one?

There's no way to do it, it is only possible when exporting master audio output of a pattern or chain

Ok .

• You know how you can set conditional triggers for individual notes? I wonder if there could be a way to set those per part. You can already go and set it note by note, so this could save time and be fun

• edited June 2018

@db909 said:
    You know how you can set conditional triggers for individual notes? I wonder if there could be a way to set those per part. You can already go and set it note by note, so this could save time and be fun

I don’t see how that could sound good..: wouldn’t it be like someone randomly muting pads? We’ve got some IFX and modulation tools that can already do that sort of thing, especially if you automate them.

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff I have two feature requests, if you will! It would be sick to have a third visualization option that combines both channels and oscilloscope in the background. Perhaps my second request already exists, but it would be much more convenient to make folders for OSC presets. I wanna keep my drum, bass, FX, leads, etc in separate folders, rather than keeping them al in User.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @t0dk0n said:
    @jimpavloff I have two feature requests, if you will! It would be sick to have a third visualization option that combines both channels and oscilloscope in the background. Perhaps my second request already exists, but it would be much more convenient to make folders for OSC presets. I wanna keep my drum, bass, FX, leads, etc in separate folders, rather than keeping them al in User.

I left some space to make a possibility to create user osc presets folders in the future. As for the visualisation, I think I will add some more. Maybe one with the spectrum, or with master stereo meters also.