Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• It seems ‘presets’ in gr-16 are the oscillator sounds.

I think @auxmux is referring to patterns only holding one pattern rather than a parent ‘preset’ that can hold multiple patterns.

Perhaps @jimpavloff can put us out of our misery? Can the ‘Auv3’ pattern bank hold more than one pattern?

1) You can use any User bank patterns in audio units, but remember, that they are shared between all instances and standalone. Changing one will affect others.
    2) AUv3 (AU:) slot with 1 pattern can be used for only storing one pattern within one separate audio unit, which will not affect any other units and will be saved with the host state.
    3) If you change some user or factory pattern without saving it (without WRITE button), the full its state will also be remembered within the audio unit and will be saved with the host project. So, basically, you have two patterns per audio unit - one AU: and second current non-saved state.

• Ahhh! Now I get it. So, to make a new pattern in the User bank, first select an "Init" one, then you can save it in the user bank. I was starting from the AU Init and trying to figure out how to save that to a User bank.

Thanks @jimpavloff - that makes sense now that I think about it, but for some reason it was way off from how I was expecting. I guess I'm used to the equivalent of "save - as".

I guess the best way to go about it if you start from the AU Init patch is to Copy, then go to the user pattern you want to save in, "Paste Entire Part", then Write.

• Yeah, I basically followed the same steps as @wim after some trial and error.

It would be cool if each 'part' could have multiple patterns. As @gregsmith mentioned, I meant parts vs sound presets.

• @auxmux said:
    Yeah, I basically followed the same steps as @wim after some trial and error.

It would be cool if each 'part' could have multiple patterns. As @gregsmith mentioned, I meant parts vs sound presets.

I ended up doing it this way too - copy to user bank then dupe.

It’s be really neat @jimpavloff if the bank assigned to the au instance could take multiple patterns. That would keep the whole project that the au exists within portable. Although thinking about it I guess you could just use a different au midi sequencer or piano roll from the host so definitely not essential.

• @gregsmith said:

@auxmux said:

It’s be really neat @jimpavloff if the bank assigned to the au instance could take multiple patterns. That would keep the whole project that the au exists within portable. Although thinking about it I guess you could just use a different au midi sequencer or piano roll from the host so definitely not essential.

The thing is that if you have samples in your AU: pattern, these samples are stored not on disk but in the session/project file itself. It can make the session file too heavy, and also this is not the way state saving must be used. State should store only parameters, not samples. But this is not how GR-16 works - I'm overusing this in my own way. So one pattern per AU is optimal and fair.

• @jimpavloff said:

@gregsmith said:

@auxmux said:

The thing is that if you have samples in your AU: pattern, these samples are stored not on disk but in the session/project file itself. It can make the session file too heavy, and also this is not the way state saving must be used. State should store only parameters, not samples. But this is not how GR-16 works - I'm overusing this in my own way. So one pattern per AU is optimal and fair.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for replying, and for the best Xmas present! 👍

• @jimpavloff said:

@gregsmith said:

@auxmux said:

I'm totally fine with this way now that I know how to use it. I plan to always start with a pattern from a user bank so that those are always available to both versions of the app. If I forget, I can always copy/paste/save to a user pattern. All good!

• edited December 2020

@wim said:

@jimpavloff said:

@gregsmith said:

@auxmux said:

I'm totally fine with this way now that I know how to use it. I plan to always start with a pattern from a user bank so that those are always available to both versions of the app. If I forget, I can always copy/paste/save to a user pattern. All good!

Figured out early that ‘one pattern per AU’ was the way to go.. Now, if only we can have an easy way to transpose/Quantize to key/scale for melodic patterns..Meaning, any pattern from any song can be ‘fitted’ to your project.. and opening up an IAP bank demand... 😎

• Ok.. AUM share test..

• @RajahP said:
    Ok.. AUM share test..

Automation..

• @jimpavloff
    I can’t save the Aum project as a multi out. Any ideas?
    I tried as a local and as an Aum preset too. No success.

• edited December 2020

Any sound that outlives the end of a pattern gets cut on pattern change.

Edit. OK I think this is user error, at least partly, Looks like if the original source is present on the new pattern the tail does get played through.

If the source on that slot changes then the sound is cut, is that right?

Yup.

• @SpartanClownTide said:
    Any sound that outlives the end of a pattern gets cut on pattern change.

Edit. OK I think this is user error, at least partly, Looks like if the original source is present on the new pattern the tail does get played through.

If the source on that slot changes then the sound is cut, is that right?

Yup.

Yes, you are right.

• Excellent stuff @jimpavloff , bought a couple of those banks as a thank you (and got a bunch of great samples/presets in the process). 👊💯

• Has something changed in the latest update regarding the midi input per part?

Previously, I could put send midi from Riffer into GR16 and record it to the active part. Now it seems that the Riffer midi is interpreted as notes for multiple channels.

I’ve tried both Omni and Poly options for Midi In Mode without luck.

• @drewinnit said:
    Has something changed in the latest update regarding the midi input per part?

Previously, I could put send midi from Riffer into GR16 and record it to the active part. Now it seems that the Riffer midi is interpreted as notes for multiple channels.

Seems Omni/Poly input work well here.. Maybe it’s the ‘4 outputs’ of Riffer that is causing the issue..

• Thanks @RajahP i also thought that but testing with Rozeta Bassline has same issue. I’ll have another test tomorrow...possibly I’m confused :D

• Is there a way to use gr16 as a single channel drum machine? E.g.: have notes C4 thru D#5 on channel 1 trigger the pads for parts 1-16?

I requested a Mozaic script for this in the request thread, but didn’t know if I might be missing a solution in gr16 itself.

Thanks!

• @drewinnit said:

Yes, Trigger mode now triggers pad differently, like it works in standalone. Select any other mode than Trigger, and it will work as before.

• @legsmechanical said:
    Is there a way to use gr16 as a single channel drum machine? E.g.: have notes C4 thru D#5 on channel 1 trigger the pads for parts 1-16?

I requested a Mozaic script for this in the request thread, but didn’t know if I might be missing a solution in gr16 itself.

Thanks!

Yes, in Trigger mode with "Midi In Mode: Omni" setting you can trigger pads by notes of a single midi channel.

• edited December 2020

Please delete!

(And thanks for the great updates!)

• edited December 2020

Sorry, got another annoying question. I’m currently trying to record midi from gr-16 into LK, hosted in AUM. Each gr-16 pad is output on its own midi channel so I’ve had iust ticked them all to route them into LK. I’ve got a track in LK that’s setup to receive all midi channels on the LK input. When I record it only records on c3 in the piano roll. I can’t work out if it’s because all midi channels output c3, or if it’s only recording one of the pads?

This may be a question for the LK thread 😆

EDIT: Ok. Figured it out. I didn’t realise the sequencer in gr-16 is using a note to trigger each pad which you can change on the little screen so each pad is different. This then outputs those midi notes to LK which I could then manipulate accordingly. Bonus points if you change the notes in gr-16 to the correct notes for when you pipe them back in - pad1 is c3 (or any octave probably) and it goes up from there including black notes.

• I really need to read through the manual on this. Haven’t figured out the basic stuff, yet alone this fancy new stuff.

• @jimpavloff said:

@drewinnit said:

Yes, Trigger mode now triggers pad differently, like it works in standalone. Select any other mode than Trigger, and it will work as before.

Thanks Jim, that’s helped me to understand it.

Fantastic to have GR16 as an AUv3. Just bought an IAP bank to support

• And another vote for SongMode Auv3... Thanks

• @RajahP said:
    And another vote for SongMode Auv3... Thanks

Jim already said that’s not planned

• @yowza said:

@RajahP said:
    And another vote for SongMode Auv3... Thanks

Jim already said that’s not planned

Ok

• Don’t know how this one was missed.. but great video..

• edited January 2021

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@jimpavloff said:

@yowza said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:
    I guess CC out, song mode will be coming? Much to work with until .. App of the year..

There is a song mode.

According to the release notes, song mode is not in the AU at least not there currently. Only Jim would know if that’s coming.

No, Song mode is not planned. It is safer to use Program Change for your daw projects to switch GR patterns.

Thanks.. definitely need a video on how to do these things... for dummies like me.. Thanks for this great instrument..

Only few DAWs (including the Imaginando LK matrix sequencer AUv3) support sending PC messages.
    But you can do this (and I find this much more intuitive than drawing a PC automation curve because you can see the pattern order at a glance):

• Load Streambyter AUv3 as a MIDI effect plugin on your DAW track or apeMatrix grid or AUM track
    • Enter this in Streambyter's code area:
    > > IF M0 == 90
    > >   MAT L0 = M1 - 30   # 30 is a Note offset to make C2 in LK send PC number 00
    > >   SND C0 L0    # On C0=Channel 1, send PC value from L0
    > >   BLOCK
    > > END
    > > 80 XX = XX +B`  # Block Note Off messages, they're not needed here
    > > 
    • Make sure Streambyter receives MIDI from LK or your DAW MIDI track
    • Make sure your GR16 AUv3 instance receives MIDI from Streambyter only.

From now on, each note starting at C2 in LK's piano roll will send a PC 0 message, C#2 will send PC 1, D2 will send PC 2 etc.
    This works well as a song arranger because LK can have pattern lengths high enough to arrange a full song this way.

BTW, the fun side effect of using LK this way is that each clip is one song so you can have all your GR16 songs in one LK project.

Thanks.. will have to come back at this...

So is this easier in Drambo’s new update? Drum Computer is having a ball triggering the patterns in Drambo... will love to do it to GR-16 Auv3..

• @RajahP said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@jimpavloff said:

@yowza said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:
    I guess CC out, song mode will be coming? Much to work with until .. App of the year..

There is a song mode.

According to the release notes, song mode is not in the AU at least not there currently. Only Jim would know if that’s coming.

No, Song mode is not planned. It is safer to use Program Change for your daw projects to switch GR patterns.

Thanks.. definitely need a video on how to do these things... for dummies like me.. Thanks for this great instrument..

Only few DAWs (including the Imaginando LK matrix sequencer AUv3) support sending PC messages.
    But you can do this (and I find this much more intuitive than drawing a PC automation curve because you can see the pattern order at a glance):

• Load Streambyter AUv3 as a MIDI effect plugin on your DAW track or apeMatrix grid or AUM track
    • Enter this in Streambyter's code area:
    > > > IF M0 == 90
    > > >   MAT L0 = M1 - 30   # 30 is a Note offset to make C2 in LK send PC number 00
    > > >   SND C0 L0    # On C0=Channel 1, send PC value from L0
    > > >   BLOCK
    > > > END
    > > > 80 XX = XX +B`  # Block Note Off messages, they're not needed here
    > > > 
    • Make sure Streambyter receives MIDI from LK or your DAW MIDI track
    • Make sure your GR16 AUv3 instance receives MIDI from Streambyter only.

From now on, each note starting at C2 in LK's piano roll will send a PC 0 message, C#2 will send PC 1, D2 will send PC 2 etc.
    This works well as a song arranger because LK can have pattern lengths high enough to arrange a full song this way.

BTW, the fun side effect of using LK this way is that each clip is one song so you can have all your GR16 songs in one LK project.

Thanks.. will have to come back at this...

So is this easier in Drambo’s new update? Drum Computer is having a ball triggering the patterns in Drambo... will love to do it to GR-16 Auv3..

No, MIDI functionality is still somewhat limited, you would have to use a chain of MIDI tools to make it work.