Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

1122123124125127

Comments

  • Been pretty quiet here.. love to see time stretch for the samples.. <3

  • Thanks Jim!

  • .> @RajahP said:

    Been pretty quiet here.. love to see time stretch for the samples.. <3

    I've done "fake time stretching" several times by slicing, reversing, delayed triggering and fade ins/fade outs by ADSR. Often works even better than a common time stretching algo because you have so much freedom in placing and tweaking the audio fragments.
    Try it! GR-16 has all the tools included.

  • @rs2000 said:
    .> @RajahP said:

    Been pretty quiet here.. love to see time stretch for the samples.. <3

    I've done "fake time stretching" several times by slicing, reversing, delayed triggering and fade ins/fade outs by ADSR. Often works even better than a common time stretching algo because you have so much freedom in placing and tweaking the audio fragments.
    Try it! GR-16 has all the tools included.

    Thanks.. Will have to experiment a little..

  • Hi @jimpavloff, I’ve been making my own drum sounds on the app and saving them as presets. Is there anyway to set the trigger key to a certain key on a preset, so that it ignores the key signature of the pattern?

  • @jimpavloff where is Jim....:-)

  • @Longskatedeath said:
    Hi , I’ve been making my own drum sounds on the app and saving them as presets. Is there anyway to set the trigger key to a certain key on a preset, so that it ignores the key signature of the pattern?

    If I understand your question correctly, then I'd say no. Usually, when I change the key, I want all parts to follow. What you want sounds like a new part setting that allows for a "follow scale"/"don't follow scale" setting per part.
    Or just temporarily change the pattern scale to "Chromatic" before recording the drums.

  • Anybody have a good way of controlling GR-16's transport externally? Via Midi controller?

    Anyone using it to sequence hardware?

    cheers

  • @SpookyZoo said:
    Anybody have a good way of controlling GR-16's transport externally? Via Midi controller?

    Anyone using it to sequence hardware?

    cheers

    I'm doing it the other way 'round: Use hardware to control Groove Rider.
    Groove Rider follows MIDI Clock perfectly, so I can use the transport buttons on the hardware.

    Another option is to use a bluetooth keyboard/keypad/game controller and map the buttons to the GR-16 transport by means of iOS Accessibility options.

  • @rs2000 said:

    I'm doing it the other way 'round: Use hardware to control Groove Rider.
    Groove Rider follows MIDI Clock perfectly, so I can use the transport buttons on the hardware.

    Ah, good point. I'll have a look at this for my setup.

    Another option is to use a bluetooth keyboard/keypad/game controller and map the buttons to the GR-16 transport by means of iOS Accessibility options.

    I did try to follow instructions for this on another thread but didn't work for me. Thanks for suggestion though.

    Midi Clock to GR-16 feels like the right way to go, ta.

  • @SpookyZoo said:
    I did try to follow instructions for this on another thread but didn't work for me. Thanks for suggestion though.

    You need some patience to make it work indeed. And iOS 12 has its bugs too, like Accessibility MIDI issues and accessibility control becoming messed up after having switched the iDevice to standby mode once.

    Midi Clock to GR-16 feels like the right way to go, ta.

    It's better because it doesn't drop the connection, it launches and stops immediately and allows for syncing gear at the same time.
    Wish you good fun!

  • @rs2000 said:

    @SpookyZoo said:

    Midi Clock to GR-16 feels like the right way to go, ta.

    It's better because it doesn't drop the connection, it launches and stops immediately and allows for syncing gear at the same time.
    Wish you good fun!

    Cheers! :)

  • @SpookyZoo said:
    Anybody have a good way of controlling GR-16's transport externally? Via Midi controller?

    Anyone using it to sequence hardware?

    cheers

    I used the arturia beatstep with it and it worked well. I had to do some mapping in the beatstep editor to set some things the way I wanted but it wasn't hard to do. I don't use groove rider much, it's great but not really what I do (so yes, appohlism got me...), but it did work.

  • Been using this app a LOT. Thanks @jimpavloff !

    How do I export user patches and/or user patch banks from iPhone to iPad? I have a lot of user patches on my phone that I need to throw over to my iPad...

    I read here that a keyboard mode was being added, any news on this? Would make GR16 a lot more friendly for melodic parts. Thanks :)

  • @mrufino1 said:

    @SpookyZoo said:
    Anybody have a good way of controlling GR-16's transport externally? Via Midi controller?

    Anyone using it to sequence hardware?

    cheers

    I used the arturia beatstep with it and it worked well. I had to do some mapping in the beatstep editor to set some things the way I wanted but it wasn't hard to do. I don't use groove rider much, it's great but not really what I do (so yes, appohlism got me...), but it did work.

    I hadn’t used my Beatstep in a while so this was fun to setup. Cheers.

  • There’s no ‘global transpose’ right? Only per track? A ‘transpose all parts’ would be really useful..

    Could maybe have it so it didn’t transpose muted parts. That way you could quickly mute your drums or whatever before transposing and have those parts not be affected...

  • @EyeOhEss said:
    Been using this app a LOT. Thanks @jimpavloff !

    How do I export user patches and/or user patch banks from iPhone to iPad? I have a lot of user patches on my phone that I need to throw over to my iPad...

    Easy! Just go to the Utils menu and select share pattern. Give it a file name, then use airdrop to send it to your iPad. You’ll be given the option to import to the existing pattern or to a new one.

    You can also export whole banks. You probably want to back up the existing bank on the iPad first because the whole bank will be overwritten by the imported bank.

    I read here that a keyboard mode was being added, any news on this? Would make GR16 a lot more friendly for melodic parts. Thanks :)

    I don’t understand this question. You can already play each pad chromatically by switching to keys mode. Did you mean with a keyboard displayed instead of the 2x8 grid of pads? I don’t think this was ever planned, but I could be remembering wrong.

    You can make use of other keyboard apps such as Xequence AU Keys, or KB-1 to send midi to pads. Either send midi on the midi channel corresponding to the pad number, or set midi mode to Omni, and whichever pad is selected will receive whatever midi you send to GR-16.

  • wimwim
    edited April 8

    @EyeOhEss said:
    There’s no ‘global transpose’ right? Only per track? A ‘transpose all parts’ would be really useful..

    Could maybe have it so it didn’t transpose muted parts. That way you could quickly mute your drums or whatever before transposing and have those parts not be affected...

    Global transpose would be great, but I’d prefer to have a setting per part as “fixed” rather than using the mute method. That way transposing could be done on the fly while playing without interrupting anything. It would be fewer steps that way as well.

  • @wim said:

    @EyeOhEss said:
    There’s no ‘global transpose’ right? Only per track? A ‘transpose all parts’ would be really useful..

    Could maybe have it so it didn’t transpose muted parts. That way you could quickly mute your drums or whatever before transposing and have those parts not be affected...

    Global transpose would be great, but I’d prefer to have a setting per part as “fixed” rather than using the mute method. That way transposing could be done on the fly while playing without interrupting anything. It would be fewer steps that way as well.

    Yeah, agree with you on that. Sounds ideal.

  • edited April 8

    @wim said:

    @EyeOhEss said:
    Been using this app a LOT. Thanks @jimpavloff !

    How do I export user patches and/or user patch banks from iPhone to iPad? I have a lot of user patches on my phone that I need to throw over to my iPad...

    Easy! Just go to the Utils menu and select share pattern. Give it a file name, then use airdrop to send it to your iPad. You’ll be given the option to import to the existing pattern or to a new one.

    You can also export whole banks. You probably want to back up the existing bank on the iPad first because the whole bank will be overwritten by the imported bank.

    I read here that a keyboard mode was being added, any news on this? Would make GR16 a lot more friendly for melodic parts. Thanks :)

    I don’t understand this question. You can already play each pad chromatically by switching to keys mode. Did you mean with a keyboard displayed instead of the 2x8 grid of pads? I don’t think this was ever planned, but I could be remembering wrong.

    You can make use of other keyboard apps such as Xequence AU Keys, or KB-1 to send midi to pads. Either send midi on the midi channel corresponding to the pad number, or set midi mode to Omni, and whichever pad is selected will receive whatever midi you send to GR-16.

    Maybe I remembered wrong too!? While trawling the thread I thought it was mentioned that there was planned a keyboard mode option. Replacing the pads when in ‘keys’. Would be good addition I think. I like Gr16 because it’s a focused space, I’d rather make do with using pads than start routing other apps. But an onscreen keyboard mode would be a nice option.

    That method for patch sharing seems pretty tedious. Lots of steps and potentially awkward housekeeping.... Hopefully dev can add a more traditional method that streamlines it down to a simple export patch/patch bank on one device, import on another.

    Thanks for info :)

  • @EyeOhEss said:

    @wim said:

    @EyeOhEss said:
    Been using this app a LOT. Thanks @jimpavloff !

    How do I export user patches and/or user patch banks from iPhone to iPad? I have a lot of user patches on my phone that I need to throw over to my iPad...

    Easy! Just go to the Utils menu and select share pattern. Give it a file name, then use airdrop to send it to your iPad. You’ll be given the option to import to the existing pattern or to a new one.

    You can also export whole banks. You probably want to back up the existing bank on the iPad first because the whole bank will be overwritten by the imported bank.

    I read here that a keyboard mode was being added, any news on this? Would make GR16 a lot more friendly for melodic parts. Thanks :)

    I don’t understand this question. You can already play each pad chromatically by switching to keys mode. Did you mean with a keyboard displayed instead of the 2x8 grid of pads? I don’t think this was ever planned, but I could be remembering wrong.

    You can make use of other keyboard apps such as Xequence AU Keys, or KB-1 to send midi to pads. Either send midi on the midi channel corresponding to the pad number, or set midi mode to Omni, and whichever pad is selected will receive whatever midi you send to GR-16.

    Maybe I remembered wrong too!? While trawling the thread I thought it was mentioned that there was planned a keyboard mode option. Replacing the pads when in ‘keys’.

    Thanks for info :)

    I think you're recalling a particularly vocal GR-16 acolyte in that enormous GR-16 thread, who loved everything about the app and had many forceful suggestions. The demand for a traditional keyboard was his loudest.
    I also recall that Mr. Pavloff was unmoved by the demand.

    But I wonder, could you use the KB1 app in conjunction with GR16?

  • edited April 8

    @ExAsperis99 said:

    @EyeOhEss said:

    @wim said:

    @EyeOhEss said:
    Been using this app a LOT. Thanks @jimpavloff !

    How do I export user patches and/or user patch banks from iPhone to iPad? I have a lot of user patches on my phone that I need to throw over to my iPad...

    Easy! Just go to the Utils menu and select share pattern. Give it a file name, then use airdrop to send it to your iPad. You’ll be given the option to import to the existing pattern or to a new one.

    You can also export whole banks. You probably want to back up the existing bank on the iPad first because the whole bank will be overwritten by the imported bank.

    I read here that a keyboard mode was being added, any news on this? Would make GR16 a lot more friendly for melodic parts. Thanks :)

    I don’t understand this question. You can already play each pad chromatically by switching to keys mode. Did you mean with a keyboard displayed instead of the 2x8 grid of pads? I don’t think this was ever planned, but I could be remembering wrong.

    You can make use of other keyboard apps such as Xequence AU Keys, or KB-1 to send midi to pads. Either send midi on the midi channel corresponding to the pad number, or set midi mode to Omni, and whichever pad is selected will receive whatever midi you send to GR-16.

    Maybe I remembered wrong too!? While trawling the thread I thought it was mentioned that there was planned a keyboard mode option. Replacing the pads when in ‘keys’.

    Thanks for info :)

    I think you're recalling a particularly vocal GR-16 acolyte in that enormous GR-16 thread, who loved everything about the app and had many forceful suggestions. The demand for a traditional keyboard was his loudest.
    I also recall that Mr. Pavloff was unmoved by the demand.

    But I wonder, could you use the KB1 app in conjunction with GR16?

    You can use any MIDI source on channel 1-16 with GR-16 to play parts 1-16 in [MIDI In = POLY] mode.
    Make sure you select the correct MIDI input in GR-16.

  • @ExAsperis99 said:

    @EyeOhEss said:

    @wim said:

    @EyeOhEss said:
    Been using this app a LOT. Thanks @jimpavloff !

    How do I export user patches and/or user patch banks from iPhone to iPad? I have a lot of user patches on my phone that I need to throw over to my iPad...

    Easy! Just go to the Utils menu and select share pattern. Give it a file name, then use airdrop to send it to your iPad. You’ll be given the option to import to the existing pattern or to a new one.

    You can also export whole banks. You probably want to back up the existing bank on the iPad first because the whole bank will be overwritten by the imported bank.

    I read here that a keyboard mode was being added, any news on this? Would make GR16 a lot more friendly for melodic parts. Thanks :)

    I don’t understand this question. You can already play each pad chromatically by switching to keys mode. Did you mean with a keyboard displayed instead of the 2x8 grid of pads? I don’t think this was ever planned, but I could be remembering wrong.

    You can make use of other keyboard apps such as Xequence AU Keys, or KB-1 to send midi to pads. Either send midi on the midi channel corresponding to the pad number, or set midi mode to Omni, and whichever pad is selected will receive whatever midi you send to GR-16.

    Maybe I remembered wrong too!? While trawling the thread I thought it was mentioned that there was planned a keyboard mode option. Replacing the pads when in ‘keys’.

    Thanks for info :)

    I think you're recalling a particularly vocal GR-16 acolyte in that enormous GR-16 thread, who loved everything about the app and had many forceful suggestions. The demand for a traditional keyboard was his loudest.
    I also recall that Mr. Pavloff was unmoved by the demand.

    But I wonder, could you use the KB1 app in conjunction with GR16?

    Ah, that doesn’t sound very hopeful in that case then. But thanks for the clarification.

  • I have put up a fairly basic Groove Rider page on the wiki -- if anyone has info or links to add, that would be great.

    https://wiki.audiob.us/groove_rider_gr-16

  • @espiegel123 said:
    I have put up a fairly basic Groove Rider page on the wiki -- if anyone has info or links to add, that would be great.

    https://wiki.audiob.us/groove_rider_gr-16

    Very well done, @espiegel123 !
    Thank you!

  • @jimpavloff any chance of files integration?

  • @DaveMagoo said:
    @jimpavloff any chance of files integration?

    It’s been there for a while. Are you not seeing it? For samples, wavetables, and audio exports.

  • @DMan said:

    @DaveMagoo said:
    @jimpavloff any chance of files integration?

    It’s been there for a while. Are you not seeing it? For samples, wavetables, and audio exports.

    Can’t figure out how to import direct from the app?

  • @DaveMagoo said:

    @DMan said:

    @DaveMagoo said:
    @jimpavloff any chance of files integration?

    It’s been there for a while. Are you not seeing it? For samples, wavetables, and audio exports.

    Can’t figure out how to import direct from the app?

    Either hit WAVE > User > scroll to bottom of list and hit "Load from AudioShare"
    or
    place the files into the correct folders of GR-16 using Files app, iTunes, iFunbox etc.

    App folders:

    1. Groove Rider/
      Everything you place here will be seen in GR-16 under WAVE > User. Creating sub folders is supported and helps getting fast and organised, it will also speed up scrolling to the bottom of the list for AudioShare import.

    2. Groove Rider/Wave
      What you place here will be available as imported user wavetables in GR-16 under WAVE > Wave.

  • @rs2000 said:

    @DaveMagoo said:

    @DMan said:

    @DaveMagoo said:
    @jimpavloff any chance of files integration?

    It’s been there for a while. Are you not seeing it? For samples, wavetables, and audio exports.

    Can’t figure out how to import direct from the app?

    Either hit WAVE > User > scroll to bottom of list and hit "Load from AudioShare"
    or
    place the files into the correct folders of GR-16 using Files app, iTunes, iFunbox etc.

    App folders:

    1. Groove Rider/
      Everything you place here will be seen in GR-16 under WAVE > User. Creating sub folders is supported and helps getting fast and organised, it will also speed up scrolling to the bottom of the list for AudioShare import.

    2. Groove Rider/Wave
      What you place here will be available as imported user wavetables in GR-16 under WAVE > Wave.

    Thanks for taking the time, that answers my question.

Sign In or Register to comment.