Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Had my second gig with my band last night, using Garageband for everything except guitar

edited December 2017 in Creations

I mostly play the synth parts but also play guitar on a couple of songs, in my cover band doing synth pop type stuff. My ipad is the brain of the band. Drums and everything else that are not played live are provided by the tracks I prepared in Garageband, without any other apps. It works really nice! I use lots of different synth and drum apps outside the band for my own stuff, just for fun. But for the band stuff, Garageband covers almost everything I need. It works better than most might expect! I got lots of compliments for the sounds. A couple of musician friends were also surprised a lot to the fact that all those interesting sounds they heard were coming from Garageband, a free app that they didn't even care for.

Does anyone else use it like this?

Comments

• edited December 2017

I actually am trying to build a full set of Backing Tracks in GarageBand for iOS for me to improvise over live.

So far I have 'Spirit' somewhat locked in which relies heavily on an Alchemy patch which constantly says "Alchemy" lol.

I would like to do this as background music for private events though. I don't enjoy being the center of attention on stage usually.

I do think I will send the tracks into Logic first and make them have constant gradual tempo changes, more sounds, and deeper mixing/mastering, and then do that export to GarageBand for iOS option, and use any extra instruments I want to play live in GarageBand over that.

Since it gets bounced as an audio file going back to GarageBand for iOS, it can bring the resource demands down significantly.

• @TheoryNotes said:

So far I have 'Spirit' somewhat locked in which relies heavily on an Alchemy patch which constantly says "Alchemy" lol.

Is it saying Alchemy? I tried to understand what that was before and couldn't make it out.

@TheoryNotes said:
    I do think I will send the tracks into Logic first and make them have constant gradual tempo changes, more sounds, and deeper mixing/mastering, and then do that export to GarageBand for iOS option, and use any extra instruments I want to play live in GarageBand over that.

Since it gets bounced as an audio file going back to GarageBand for iOS, it can bring the resource demands down significantly.

Using an additional device such as a Mac would definitely bring greater versatility and ease of use. I'm also planning something like that, when I get a new computer.

I want to use other synths and drum machines alongside Garageband live but I don't know how to ensure smooth transitions between non AU apps.

• I’ve done it twice and both times it worked perfectly.

• @nothumanatall said:

Is it saying Alchemy? I tried to understand what that was before and couldn't make it out.

Good question, I just went into Logic to find out since i wasn't sure. So there are 4 samples in this "Alchemists Choir" patch, and source D is definitely a female choir singing "Alchemy", with the sample being called "Choir Female Alchemy".

What's cool about it is that it plays the sample one time clearly, and then the second time it is played it does so in half-time. There are 3 other sources/samples built-in to it that are choirs with syllable or vowel sounds, and each one of those have their own dynamics from note to note.

Using an additional device such as a Mac would definitely bring greater versatility and ease of use. I'm also planning something like that, when I get a new computer.

I want to use other synths and drum machines alongside Garageband live but I don't know how to ensure smooth transitions between non AU apps.

i wonder if Ableton Live and Link 2 (when released) would be the best solution there, using the devices wired to a router instead of over wi-fi, but the complexity level would go way up, and then where would GarageBand fit in.

I'm definitely interested in an update on which path you eventually take to evolve this over time.

• @TheoryNotes said:
    I'm definitely interested in an update on which path you eventually take to evolve this over time.

I'm thinking of a better thought out sound and MIDI route, which invloves a MIDI interface for multiple in-outs, MIDI enabled looper (or a dedicated ios device to run as amp sim + looper) for my guitar and another ios device (my iphone or a bandmate's ipad) to increase live played stuff and gradually decrease the playback. Link and Live, with the computer being the centre of the rig would certainly make everything easier. I may go that route if I start to earn money from the shows. All these seem like VERY long term plans for now but it's fun to think and make plans about these :smiley: