Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need recommendation for strings

edited October 2013 in Creations

Hi, new guy here.

What app would you recommend for strings? No problem finding amp sims, drums, pianos etc but I haven't seen any dedicated for strings.

Thanks.

Comments

• Sorry, wrong forum section. Not off to a good start ;-)

• GarageBand has some pretty awesome strings IMO. From there it's probably Thumbjam for me. A lot of people seem to love SampleTank as well for this.

• +1 on Garageband and Thumbjam

There's also BS-16i (16 part multichannel/multitimbral) + the free Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra soundfont library

I would avoid SampleTank. All of IK Multimedia's apps have disruptive popup ads, even for full paid apps.

• Thanks for the quick input.

What do you mean by popup ads? The ones about IAPs?

Anyway, maybe I'll go for SampleTank anyway. Just bougth iGrand Piano though, and it seems the pianos are included in ST as well?. Todays lesson could be "think before you shop" :-)

• Definitely check out Thumbjam. Lovely app for a hundred reasons... including string samples.

• You can also try Notion, it has cool string sounds

• edited October 2013

All IK Multimedia apps have multiple ads advertising their other products that pop up and interrupt your session until you click on them to go away, even if you have paid for a full version. They will keep popping up until you buy and register those products. Supposedly they've lowered the frequency of those pop-up ads to something like once a week but it's still there and still annoying and unacceptable.

• Not supposedly, we absolutely have reduced them to once a week at most for the full apps. And Miroslav add-on pack for SampleTank is top shelf and worth a look/listen. They happen right after the app loads so they should not interfere with any performance and if they are taking longer than that, it should be taken up with support to see why that is happening. I've forwarded all requests for these to be removed, too, just so you are aware. Thank you.

• edited October 2013

@ikmultimedia: Now how can we help the receiver of your forwards actually get these requests completed? I really believe the overall opinion of all IK Multimedia products would return to a focus on the great sounds and quality of the apps, rather than the insulting marketing tactics. Please let us know here if you're aware of any other things we can do to persuade your organization. We're all itching to help get this deal done.

• edited March 2014

• edited October 2013

Regardless of everything said; it's absolutely unacceptable to have ads (yours or 3rd party) in a fully paid app, and especially if you've purchased all IAP's also. FACT.
    I can see if it's the lite/free version

• Beautiful apps, unbelievably ridiculous advertising! Rarely use them because of it. How long have we been bitching about this now? Bs16 is awesome! And thumbjam.

• edited March 2014

• "If that is the case, I don't think they will ever remove them :-("

...and even worse, if word gets out, almost everybody will start doing it!
    There ought to be a law (or at least an Apple restriction) against pop ups.

• edited March 2014

• I think there is a point where a line needs to be drawn though. In the case of IK, having ads pop up that could interfere with you performing is well beyond that line.

• mmpmmp
    edited October 2013

So true, so many nice instruments that have no way of getting sound out other than through speakers/headphones...and no way of recording them properly. It's the first thing I check for now when I see anything new. That and pop-ups ;-p

• edited October 2013

"I wonder if IK have discovered that they get good "click through" rates and sell lots of extra software from having those ads?"

I'd be so very interested to see their conversion rates. Click throughs are empty stats for low level marketing people; how many people actually go on to buy another IK product is the question (particularly in relation to how many actual customers complaining about the ads). I still maintain, without any evidence whatsoever, that the marketing department at IK pisses all over the parade of their engineers/product designer's otherwise really well made music applications. I'd want to quit.

• edited March 2014

• @Simon - agreed with your statement and bad wording on my part :)

@Syrupcore - must be enough for them to justify keeping them or they just think they're working.

Here's the problem, people keep buying, and nothing will change unless they see a drop off AND think it's caused by the ads...which is unlikely, they have a great product and they ride on the name that people know

• @Simon - in all fairness, they might not now. I had it happen a minute after I launched one of their apps before, and it tripped me up...I wasn't doing anything very serious, thankfully. I've heard others complain about it as well.

• To be honest, it's not just the nuisance factor that's bothering me.

IKM make premium quality apps...why spoil them with such a third-rate, cheap marketing scheme?

It's a slap in the face where you'd expect a touch of class!

• Haven't downloaded any IK apps lately, but pop-ups on full paid versions is ridiculous. Definitely won't purchase anything by them until that practice stops.

Back to the topic at hand though, I looked at all the recommended apps here and I'm wondering about bs-16i. Does it have stock sounds or does it just control other apps? I saw PaulB's post in the other thread about his Soundfont files but if i didn't download/install those, does bs-16i actually play anything on its own?

• edited October 2013

Bs-16i comes with a very decent GM compatible sound set. It's also 16 voice multitimbral and has a mixer page.

• Thanks. Just found some videos featuring a few soundfonts. Wow! Guess i've been missing out. May have to pick this up today.

• edited October 2013

IK says that they made it so that the pop up ads are supposed to appear right as the app launches but it actually doesn't happen immediately so if you start playing the app immediately after it launches, your playing will get interrupted by the pop-up ads.

• I don't know if you have The Xewton Music Studio app, but I've just converted the entire Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra for use in that app. These instruments also work in FL Studio Mobile. There are some nice strings sounds in there.

The instruments can be downloaded here:

http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1710

Some of the converted instruments have some issues with clicks and pops. Fixed versions will be uploaded soon on the Music studio forum.