Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Plans Combined iPhone, iPad & Mac Apps to Create One User Experience

Comments

• Sounds like it's more specifically about allowing iOS apps on macs. Which i guess is good

• @db909 said:
    Sounds like it's more specifically about allowing iOS apps on macs. Which i guess is good

Yeah, I often feel that I might use apps like BM3 more if I could use them on the Mac. Not all touch based apps will translate so easily though I guess.

• iOS apps have been running on Macs for a long time...Xcode simulator grows up :D

• "Starting as early as next year, software developers will be able to design a single application that works with a touchscreen or mouse and trackpad depending on whether it’s running on the iPhone and iPad operating system or on Mac hardware, according to people familiar with the matter. "
    There is a certain danger that the iOS version will then suffer being not so much optimized for touch.
    But it would be great to have Model 15 as an AU plugin in Logic.

• I asked for this since years and it would make sense for me.
    But it sounds too good to be true of course and so it is just a dream :#

• My apps as plugins in Ableton? That would be epic

• edited December 2017

I suspect user experience will suffer for anything but the most basic apps as UI design will become a schizofrenic mess. This is one of those concepts that I doubt Steve would have allowed; just because something is technologically possible doesn’t mean it makes meaningful sense.

• @teleb said:
    "Starting as early as next year, software developers will be able to design a single application that works with a touchscreen or mouse and trackpad depending on whether it’s running on the iPhone and iPad operating system or on Mac hardware, according to people familiar with the matter. "
    There is a certain danger that the iOS version will then suffer being not so much optimized for touch.
    But it would be great to have Model 15 as an AU plugin in Logic.

Nah´There are better modulars already which can do the same there but a System 55 please.
    Maybe it would be bad for some plug-in developers because people could start to use cheap apps.
    Also wouldn´t that make piracy more easy too for iOS apps?

• @brambos said:
    I suspect user experience will suffer for anything but the most basic apps as UI design will become a schizofrenic mess. This is one of those concepts that I doubt Steve would have allowed; just because something is technologically possible doesn’t mean it makes meaningful sense.

It definitely seems like the old diktat — Make a shit-ton of money through elegant design — has been dismantled by those who were never really concerned with the second half of the process...

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@brambos said:

It definitely seems like the old diktat — Make a shit-ton of money through elegant design — has been dismantled by those who were never really concerned with the second half of the process...

That’s because the man with the vision and the grand ideas was succeeded by the man who was good at running a factory :#

• edited December 2017

What I would like to see is a universal AU standard that lets you use say Nave on iPad but it is hosted by Ableton ie a touchscreen controlled AU that saves with the host (Ableton)....like studiomux on roids ;) but with all the benefits of my Ableton AU’s

• @brambos said:

Your plugins running on the Mac in Logic but the user interface being Remote on the iPad. Well, that could be cool.

• this would be fantastic, but i have never seen a comprehensively satisfying solution to the hybrid touch/mouse UI problem, they are always trainwrecks, but maybe apple has figured it out

• edited December 2017

Aren’t there already universal apps across tvOS, iOS (iPad/iPhone) and watchOS? Already the user experience is different on each.

I think good Developers would still create well designed macOS experiences. Quality apps could be marketed on desktop at desktop prices with an iOS version included...and power iOS users who are willing to pay could get stronger apps for iOS.

• @brambos said:

Not sure. I mean even if apps are made for touch screen in mind i think every app is usable with mouse/trackpad too. Some even better. Not sure why the user experience should suffer if all could be happy and use whatever input form they want. Even a lot iOS apps are not really user friendly for a touch screen (your apps are fine).

• @Cib said:

@brambos said:

Not sure. I mean even if apps are made for touch screen in mind i think every app is usable with mouse/trackpad too. Some even better. Not sure why the user experience should suffer if all could be happy and use whatever input form they want. Even a lot iOS apps are not really user friendly for a touch screen (your apps are fine).

Even more interesting, with a litlle luck we can start using cursors on iOS devices, would be good to use a mouse or a trackpad on an iPad. In that case we have the ideal laptop replacement.

• I think this is good news and a good move, bring it on :)
    It’s about time ipad and Macs became more cross compatible.

• How cool it would be to use Auria Pro with mouse and keyboard!

• @Carnbot said:
    I think this is good news and a good move, bring it on :)
    It’s about time ipad and Macs became more cross compatible.

Yes, even because since the beginning, iOS is OSX (MacOS) on the fundamental level. Like OSX that runs on ARM and which have sandboxing and touch support, but still.

• @greengrocer said:

@Cib said:

@brambos said:

Even more interesting, with a litlle luck we can start using cursors on iOS devices, would be good to use a mouse or a trackpad on an iPad. In that case we have the ideal laptop replacement.

Well , I was thinking exactly the opposite. Using mouse is step back .
    Wish Apple will bring multitouch on Macs instead .

• @Korakios said:

@greengrocer said:

@Cib said:

@brambos said:

That seems more likely.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Korakios said:

@greengrocer said:

@Cib said:

@brambos said:

That seems more likely.

I don´t think so. It´s already a lot faster and better with trackpad/mouse. Touch on mac would be 2 steps back (for me). It´s maybe really better to not merge that together too much.
    I don´t want so much wasted space and neck and back disorder trough touching a large screen when there is already a better way to do for what a notebook or desktop is made for. A tablet is a tablet.
    I agree with (most) of this here but that´s of course a personal thing. I use touch and trackpad (never use a mouse) and after some years i even agree more. But i also think for a small tablet like an iPad such wobbly keyboards and mouse would be just a very bad notebook and distorted reality :)

• Ok, I'm starting to hate all this progress. At this rate we'll be eating pills for dinner, shit pellets and have silicone for brains.

• @supadom said:
    Ok, I'm starting to hate all this progress. At this rate we'll be eating pills for dinner, shit pellets and have silicone for brains.

:) +100

• Potentially this could be something to do with that new Apple chip that’s gone into the iMac pro? Maybe a kind of handoff type feature, Do a little work on your iPad load it on the Mac and Visevesra?

• So do we get FINDER.....

• In the meantime let us just create stuff on what we have and like to use. Strange that half of the time people these days try to replace something for the same or even worse things and waiting for the next best thing.
    Life is too short for that.

• edited December 2017

@supadom said:
    Ok, I'm starting to hate all this progress. At this rate we'll be eating pills for dinner, shit pellets and have silicone for brains.

This rate of progress is also pretty bad for developers. What, your app doesn't yet support iPhone X? What, your app doesn't yet support Mac? When will your app support AUv3? Why is there no Link? What, no Bluetooth MIDI? What about IAA? No Files app support, w00t? etc... nowadays you pretty much need a 100+ software development team in order to just keep the app basically working :) EDIT: Slightly exaggerating, but not much! :#

• @SevenSystems said:

@supadom said:

This rate of progress is also pretty bad for developers. What, your app doesn't yet support iPhone X? What, your app doesn't yet support Mac? When will your app support AUv3? Why is there no Link? What, no Bluetooth MIDI? What about IAA? No Files app support, w00t? etc... nowadays you pretty much need a 100+ software development team in order to just keep the app basically working :) EDIT: Slightly exaggerating, but not much! :#

That´s the other bad thing. Apps and the stores are for a mass market consumer world.
    Sure Apple says something about all their awesome independent developers but they have a secret love with the big brands making all their cut and giving Apple 30% of it.

• edited December 2017

@supadom said:

We already got silicone for another body part that starts with br
    And I am not certain that this could be called progress B)