Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum app question - Possible to have more than one sample on one pad?

I also posted this on Intua forum so if ur also a member there, apologies for duplicate but don't want to be limited to BM2 if it can't do it

thnx in advance

FYI if you're curious why anyone would want to layer drum samples instead of choosing a stock drum sample:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov12/articles/drum-layering-masterclass.htm

Comments

• just researched it and looks like impc can't layer samples. am i missing any other popular drum apps?

• The BS-16i can use layered drum soundfonts. There are a lot of them around that are of very high quality. :-)

• Got any links AJ?

• My personal favorite drum soundfont is the G&S Custom Work Drum Kits. It is too large for me to use in my iPad 2, but it sounds fantastic and probably works OK on machines with more RAM.

http://www.autodafe.net/downloads/GSCWDrumKits.zip

http://win.autodafe.net/samples/GSCW_SFZ_Files.zip

It is actually in Kontakt format, but I used the SFZ mappings and ExTranslator to convert it to a soundfont. It's huge but fabulous! :-)

ns_kit7free lite.sf2 is another really good one. I can't seem to find a link for it, but it was very popular a few years ago. I have used this one with no problem at all on my iPad, and it sounds really good.

Edit: Here's a link. It's a pain to get to it from here though:

http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/file-detail/ns_kit7free-lite-sf2-2567.html

Another good one is: http://www.michaelkingston.fi/kingstondrums/ruffrider.html

• edited October 2013

By the way, although Drums XD doesn't use sampled layers (I don't think), it does use a technology they created called "realPlay" which adjusts volume, pitch, tone and more for realistic sessions. I've been using it midi-linked to Cubasis as an external drum bank. I play live with it into Cubasis (recording the midi), and edit my recorded midi to perfection, and then play it back through audiobus to record it. It seems to work really well, and sounds good! :-)

• Here are some other high-quality kits that may be useful if you put a little work into getting them integrated into your iPad setup: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06/24/free-sample-shootout-2-acoustic-drums-full-kits/

• A pleasure! :-)

• Drums XD also allows you to load separate samples into different triggerpoints of each pad, or piece of the drum kit

• thanks for the info guys! much appreciated!

drums xd looks waaaay cool. probably the best looking drum app available in how you can set it up. two more questions please:

1) with either bs-16i or drums xd, can i use my own samples?
    2) with either bs-16i or drumx xd, can i play two samples with ONE finger! whether they're layered or not?

as i type this, it seems somewhat minor but is actually very, monumentally important for me. i like playing out my beats manually and oftentimes like to beef up my drum samples with a variety of sounds. like maybe i have a song in the key of E and has no bass, so id like to have a rock kick tuned to e layered on top of a sub kick also tuned to e with a string sample from say a james bond movie or hawaii 5-0 episode also tuned to e to create some unique sound to be able to play along with the song.

anyways, thanks for your opinions

• sorry, just realized in my example i said three samples. if i can get just two for now, i'd be happy

• Hi synthandson, I do happen to own that fine piece of software. Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate the help and will give it a go right now!

• edited October 2013

You could do the same with any multitrack DAW too, by the way. You'd even be able to load the final sample into your iMPC and get the "multihit" results you want by doing what @synthandson suggests.
    :-)

Edit: In answer to your questions above, the BS-16i uses the soundfont formt. The BS-16i is just a soundfont player and doesn't have the editor capabilities built in, but there are several free soundfont editors available for Windows/Mac computers that should work just fine for doing this. You would be doing this outside of the iPad though.

As for Drums XD: Yes, you can edit and use your own samples. :-)

• edited October 2013

thanks for pointing that out aj. thus bm2 as well. guess question now is workflow. which one of these processes is fastest when in the creative heat of the moment to avoid left brain analytical buzz kill and stay in right brain creative bliss?

• Unfortunately, that is subjective--you'll have to figure out what works best for you. :-) Everyone here has a differing opinion on best DAW, synth, workflow, etc. :-)

• You could have the left half of your brain removed...

• edited October 2013

@gjcyrus I feel your pain and I have searched high and low for many nights looking for what you described on iOS.

I'm coming from the workflow of a MPC 1000 with JJOS. This OS has a function called simult pad which allows multiple pads to be triggered by a single pad. So while it layers samples, it also has the benefit of each sample having their own separate parameters. I would love for BM2 to have this feature, but I won't hold my breath for it.

Eventually, Chordpolypad came out and pretty much does what we are both looking for. It features a 16 pad array and multiple pad banks. With each pad you can assign several notes that can also can be transmitted as midi notes. So I set up BM2 pads as normal and then assign the Chordpolypad's pads accordingly. Only thing that's bad is no AB or IAA support...yet. I've been waiting impatiently for that feature to come since CPP got released. Once one of those gets supported it will be easier to use because as of now you have to hit record on BM2 and then flip back to multitasking to select CPP while keeping track of the pre-count.

Anyways, check it out. I think that's our best option so far and if you dig it we should start harassing the developer about AB or IAA support ;)

• I was reading this thread and thinking ChordPolyPro could really work for this idea of layering multiple sounds to each pad. I love CPP but it really needs to integrate AB!

• edited October 2013

@context - thanks for the cpp tip! downloading it now. I also used to have an mpc and beatmaker was actually the reason i even bought an iphone to have a pocket mpc sorta speak.

• Hi guys! If any of you have 2 min to spare, I can't seem to play beatmaker from chordpolypro. I took 7 pictures total of the MIDI setup for each app and posted it here on Instagram (I just set it up as I dunno how to post pics on here) as I probably have something set up incorrectly.

http://instagram.com/gjcyrus

Any help greatly appreciated as I think this is the best solution (thanks again Context!)

@paulb - haha, just saw your comment earlier. It's too late though as zombies already ate it.
    @synthandson - interesting article. I guess a better way to describe my creative frustration with songwriting and technical analysis would be this. Imagine you are about to make love to the sexiest, hottest, beautiful model in the world but before you can, you have to do algebra and calculus assignments from two different teachers. Yeah, you'll still be in the mood but it'll be a bit of a buzzkill.

Thanks again all!

• Perhaps if you'd made love to the teachers, they'd have let you off the assignments...

• @gjcyrus It looks like you need to assign lower midi note numbers to match the BM2 pads. On CPP, you can swipe the keyboard to the left to reach the negative numbered octaves. Hope that helps.

• @PaulB - haha good point! And with IAA or Audiobus, we can have a 3some!

@Context - thanks for the tip! I thought C2 on ChordPoly would correspond to C2 on BM2. I'll try it now.

• edited October 2013

They do correspond, but bank A on BM2 starts at C -2 by default, not C2.

• @Context - I can't thank you enough for your help! I haven't had this much fun playing with BM2 since I first bought it!

I know many are critical of BM2 sounds but layer two or three of em and they sound AWESOME!

Seriously, thanks again man. You have restored my faith in ios music!

• @Context - just re-read your initial post and I see you record back into BM2? I was hoping to record anything I play from BM2 into Auria or any other Audiobus compatible DAW since BM2 is ab compatible. So the whole chain has to be ab compatible in order to record, not just the MIDI slave?

• edited October 2013

Yup, I record everything back into BM2, but you can record into any AB compatible DAW that you want.

• @Context - thanks for info!

Just curious, any frequency analysis apps you like? any other drum apps or drum loop/beat making related apps you like? Your chordpolypro tip was invaluable so am curious if you have any other workarounds you've discovered that have helped you as I no longer have my MPC.

thanks again!