Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Positive Battery Report (Air 2 on iOS 11.1.2)

I just got back from my latest trip to London and had to put over the incredible battery performance I have had. First off, iOS 11 messed up my battery performance at first like it did to most everyone. I would charge my Air 2, use it for no more than an hour & half, leave it be for a day or two at most, and come back to 30% battery. Not cool.

I did a battery refresh that I read off of Apple’s site that recommended you let the device go all the way to 0%, let it turn itself off, charge it to 100% and run it to the 0% power cut again and then charge again to 100%. The site claimed it should work better afterwards.

I believe it did for me. I brought my Air 2 on the trip, used it on the plane for a few hours (albeit with no data running through it from airplane mode) and in the hotel using their WiFi for a few more hours over the course of the trip. It remained on standby but would update apps when needed, thus the AppStore reading above.

After another hour or so of use on the plane back I was going to charge it when I got home yesterday but when I saw that it was still above 40% it suprised me. I’d been gone for over two weeks, used it off & on for hours at a time so I’m amazed at the standby & general use performance after this battery refresh gimmick I did.

Wanted to relay this to anyone having issues with iOS11 & battery performance. It certainly worked for me...

Comments

• @JRSIV
    Thanks for this, it’s like that old school remedy for battery “memory”

• No worries @Littlewoodg

I know most of the community knows this technique but 1) I have a knack for over explanation of the obvious and 2) when I began working with iOS for music production there were several things that now seem self explanatory but at the time were maddening.

Auria users will know one* that nearly drove me to skipping my iPad across the floor Frisbee style.

*(To use the on screen keyboard with MIDI instruments the track needs to be armed to record etc.)

• @JRSIV said:
    No worries @Littlewoodg

I know most of the community knows this technique but 1) I have a knack for over explanation of the obvious and 2) when I began working with iOS for music production there were several things that now seem self explanatory but at the time were maddening.

Auria users will know one* that nearly drove me to skipping my iPad across the floor Frisbee style.

*(To use the on screen keyboard with MIDI instruments the track needs to be armed to record etc.)

Never occurred to me to do the cycle more than once, it’s smart. Makes me wonder about the care of my battery on my EV automobile...

• Yeah, doing as recommended with the battery definitely helps. It’s tough to let it go sometimes, when you’re around 10% and know that’s not enough for what you wanna do next time you pick it up. I usually just load up 3 model 15s and put a hold on their arps when I’m at about 5% just to run it all the way down.

• Thanks for your post @JRSIV

I did a battery refresh that I read off of Apple’s site that recommended you let the device go all the way to 0%, let it turn itself off, charge it to 100% and run it to the 0% power cut again and then charge again to 100%. The site claimed it should work better afterwards.

It is true, what it does is it erases the memory and resets the battery to 100% again.
    Some people start changing @20% and stop @80%. If they do this a couple of times in a row, the capacity will be 60% theoretically and around 40-50% in reality, because you have to start charging @ no less than 10%...

• @JRSIV said:
    No worries @Littlewoodg

I think it’s always a smart thing to repeat the basics now and again - we tend to take for granted that people know them or even remember to follow them! I for one forget stuff quite often now ;)

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @JRSIV
    Thanks for this, it’s like that old school remedy for battery “memory”

From what I remember this was a way to calibrate battery gauge and had nothing to do with actual state of the battery itself.

I think you’re talking about memory effect where you had to let the battery breath or fully flex like a muscle otherwise the capacity would diminish. I don’t think this any longer applies to IPad’s battery chemistry (LiPo).

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table

• Just picked up my Pro 10.5. IOS 10.3.3, It was warm. I checked battery use and found Egoist on top of the list with 67%. Of course when I tapped egotists logo the app started playing immediately meaning it was just bubbling below the surface.

Needless to say I've turned background activity in app's options.

This is just to prove the unusual battery drain is by no means limited to IOS 11.

• Just a reminder :
    The optimal way to ensure long lasting battery health is to keep charging between 20-80%
    Or at least avoid going bellow 10% , it's pushing the battery to its limits

• Just saw this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5199917/Apple-admits-DOES-deliberately-slow-older-iPhones.html

I'm really curious if Apple is doing this same "technique" on iPads. If there's no dedicated "iPad iOS" does it make sense that if this is cooked into iOS and slows iPhones wouldn't it affect iPad's in the same way?