Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What about Wotja Generative music?

1235»

Comments

• edited January 2020

@impete @Masanga

It’s the only big thing Wotja was missing and here it is! Brilliant! Thanks devs :)

Have just left an App Store review ... hope you get loads of sales on this.

@impete ... Ableton Link is such a key feature for me as I almost always integrate Wotja with an AUM set ... happy to test betas if this feature needs any tweaking.

Initial testing ... works fine in AUM:

• tempo sync (including tempo changes)
    • Start/Stop using AUM tramsport
  • I had one minor issue where the tempo of my most recent mix before the update reset to 60bpm immediately after the update; turning Link on and off again restored the original bpm, though I think that was magical thinking as the same happened when I updated the Pro version and just closing and reopening fixed it that time. Only happened with the iOS versions; no such issue with the Mac desktop update.

• Yeah that's great to see Link, interesting, I wonder if AUv3 is on the agenda?
    That makes sense to me when integrating in AUM or other hosts :)

• @Masanga said:
    I had one minor issue where the tempo of my most recent mix before the update reset to 60bpm immediately after the update; turning Link on and off again restored the original bpm, though I think that was magical thinking as the same happened when I updated the Pro version and just closing and reopening fixed it that time. Only happened with the iOS versions; no such issue with the Mac desktop update.

Turns out it's both more general and more specific: the first mix I open on launch has its BPM reset to 60; close and reopen it and it's back to normal. Anyone else seeing this? You may need to force-quit the app to test.

• Yeah, the Ableton Link API requires the app that supports Link to specify a starting tempo when it starts up. Wotja has a document model, and doesn't actually know what tempo it is going to use until the user has opened a Wotja mix. Anyhow, when we open-up the Ableton link connection we just supply an arbitrary BPM (IIRC the documentation specifically tells you to do this). Hopefully that clarifies things, anyhow.

As an aside, the tech in Wotja has been in development for 30+ years now, and has a certain technical "inertia" behind it, it can be hard sometimes to incorporate workflows imposed by 3rd party tech. AudioBus was a tough one for us; Ableton was also pretty hard. So, these things can take time, especially with all the other stuff we're trying to do.

If we were just a simple iOS app, things like this would be easy :smile:

Best wishes to you all,

Pete

• @craftycurate said:
    @impete ... Ableton Link is such a key feature for me as I almost always integrate Wotja with an AUM set ... happy to test betas if this feature needs any tweaking.

Thank you very much! Now I've signed-up here, I'll try to check-in from time to time to look at comments and feedback. However, I can't guarantee to do that often, as I'm super busy ... as you would hope :wink:

But if you need to get in touch with us quickly, say to report a bug, I'd suggest you use the Contact Form on the Intermorphic website, which is here ... https://intermorphic.com/help/#contact-form

With best wishes,

Pete

• @Masanga said:

@Masanga said:
    I had one minor issue where the tempo of my most recent mix before the update reset to 60bpm immediately after the update; turning Link on and off again restored the original bpm, though I think that was magical thinking as the same happened when I updated the Pro version and just closing and reopening fixed it that time. Only happened with the iOS versions; no such issue with the Mac desktop update.

Turns out it's both more general and more specific: the first mix I open on launch has its BPM reset to 60; close and reopen it and it's back to normal. Anyone else seeing this? You may need to force-quit the app to test.

Not sure if this is related to what you're discussing here, but I found that when Link Start\Stop was enabled in Wotja, the Wotja (IAA) tempo was not synced with AUM until I started the AUM transport.

• @impete said:

@craftycurate said:

Thank you very much! Now I've signed-up here, I'll try to check-in from time to time to look at comments and feedback. However, I can't guarantee to do that often, as I'm super busy ... as you would hope :wink:

But if you need to get in touch with us quickly, say to report a bug, I'd suggest you use the Contact Form on the Intermorphic website, which is here ... https://intermorphic.com/help/#contact-form

With best wishes,

Pete

Thanks Pete - will do. Have already been in touch with Tim about a couple of things that way.

• @impete said:
    Yeah, the Ableton Link API requires the app that supports Link to specify a starting tempo when it starts up. Wotja has a document model, and doesn't actually know what tempo it is going to use until the user has opened a Wotja mix. Anyhow, when we open-up the Ableton link connection we just supply an arbitrary BPM (IIRC the documentation specifically tells you to do this).

Thanks for the clarification, Pete – it's clearly related, though it happens even if Link isn't enabled; it looks as if it may be an unintended side-effect of the behaviour introduced for Link. Not the world's biggest deal, though if you're not prepared for it it can be a bit disconcerting to find that your mix has doubled or halved in tempo since last night…

• Good point. Nothing is ever easy...!

I guess that the best action would be: when a Mix is loaded, Wotja should Ableton to change to the Tempo in the Mix file.

Does that make sense to you?

Pete

• All of this sounds interesting.

I've bitten and bought the Pro version.

• @tja said:

Many thanks @tja!

I hope you first tried the Free version to make sure you like it :smile:

Pete

• @Masanga said:

@impete said:
    Yeah, the Ableton Link API requires the app that supports Link to specify a starting tempo when it starts up. Wotja has a document model, and doesn't actually know what tempo it is going to use until the user has opened a Wotja mix. Anyhow, when we open-up the Ableton link connection we just supply an arbitrary BPM (IIRC the documentation specifically tells you to do this).

Thanks for the clarification, Pete – it's clearly related, though it happens even if Link isn't enabled; it looks as if it may be an unintended side-effect of the behaviour introduced for Link. Not the world's biggest deal, though if you're not prepared for it it can be a bit disconcerting to find that your mix has doubled or halved in tempo since last night…

That's what I thought. As soon as I hit "Play" in AUM, the Wotja picked up the correct tempo, but not before. Wotja was set to use Link Start\Stop.

• Changed in 20.1.1 - when a Mix is loaded, Wotja now tells Ableton Link to change to the Tempo in the Mix file.

Hope that helps, folks!

Pete

• @impete said:
    Changed in 20.1.1 - when a Mix is loaded, Wotja now tells Ableton Link to change to the Tempo in the Mix file.

Hope that helps, folks!

Pete

Brilliant thanks!

• Just thinking aloud, but would it make sense for one of you to create an informal "Wotja Forum" thread on this site, that AudioBus / Wotja users could simply post questions, share content, and what have you within?

Pete

• @impete said:

@tja said:

Many thanks @tja!

I hope you first tried the Free version to make sure you like it :smile:

Pete

No need for this, i already own versions 2017 and 2018, so i know the Apps.

2020 seems to be the next step of evolution.
    Good!

• @tja said:
    2020 seems to be the next step of evolution.
    Good!

Thank you very much - we keep plugging away at what we do. 30 years down and still counting :smile:

Pete

• edited January 2020

@impete said:
    Just thinking aloud, but would it make sense for one of you to create an informal "Wotja Forum" thread on this site, that AudioBus / Wotja users could simply post questions, share content, and what have you within?

Yes, it would probably be good manners to give this thread back to its original question, though calling it a forum within a forum would be a bit cheeky about the shameless piggybacking. But other dev do effectively use threads in this forum as a handy way to do all interactions with iOS users in a single public place (Bryce's Tonality thread is a good example of this). Maybe a new thread called Wotja 2020? – because the development cycle is so fast-moving (one of the upsides of there only being the two of you!), there's stuff in this thread that's already out of date, and because we're constrained by the linear thread format it'd be helpful not to give people pages of less relevant things to wade through before they hit the current version.

While you're here, Pete, can I ask a rather IM-forumy question about how user-created templates are referenced and saved in mixes? This is something that I don't think has ever been in the documentation, and might be useful to others here in thinking about potentially quite important aspects of file management and housekeeping.

As I understand it (which I'm not convinced I do), a user-created template is referenced within a mix but not saved with it; you have to keep the template in the folder with the mix, and if you delete or even just rename the template your mix will show red cells where it's supposed to be. It's nevertheless perfectly possible to edit the template cell within the mix without changing the original template – I often tweak or completely replace the sound in a particular instance of the template within a mix, for example – so presumably the mix somehow saves a reference to the template plus a supplementary record of what's been changed in that particular instance of it. (I'm not sure I'm right about this, but I can't otherwise see how it'd work.) I've occasionally found that I've deleted a template I thought I no longer needed, only to find that I used it in a mix, and am now missing a component of the mix; this is particularly liable to happen with mixes I've archived to Boxes to declutter my user folder. (Luckily it usually turns out to be something from an older version of the app I still have around.) And when you send a mix to someone, you need to include any user templates that it depends on.

Here's the thing that puzzles me, though: modifications to the original template don't cascade to instances of that template in existing mixes. If you add an extra pattern to a template, for example, that pattern doesn't then appear in an existing mix which uses it; you have to go into the mix and add it to each instance of the template manually. I think if I had a better understanding of how mixes interact with templates I'd be less prone to cockups…

• @Masanga said:

Tell you what - if you can ask that question in that new Thread, I'll do my best to answer it there.

That'll kick things off nicely, and hopefully make it easier for other Wotja 20 users to track down!

Hope that is OK? :smile:

Pete

• Wotja 20 would be the best name, as that is what we call the product (rather than Wotja 2020...)...!

• @impete said:
    Wotja 20 would be the best name, as that is what we call the product (rather than Wotja 2020...)...!

Yeah, that's what I meant to type! Will do, once I'm out of this four-hour meeting…

• I bought several past versions of this app but not the 2020. The next I will buy has to be AU.

• @cuscolima said:
    I bought several past versions of this app but not the 2020. The next I will buy has to be AU.

Hi!

Interestingly enough, I happened to have researched this very subject earlier today (I last looked at least a year ago), and found that technically, an AUv3 implementation looks to be (effectively) impossible for us to ever implement, unless the Audio Unit architecture were to change in some unexpected way in the future.

Without going too much into the technical details, this is due to architectural limitations that are imposed by Apple as part of the AUv3 architecture, where the Audio Unit and User Interface components are almost completely isolated from each other other than via a rather limited Inter-Process Communication system. The sheer depth and associated complexity of the interactions between Wotja's user interface, and the various audio and text engines within Wotja, would be overwhelming difficult for us to implement within the current AUv3 architecture.

If Wotja were a simple audio system, such as a simple effect unit or synth, that could be controlled by a few user interface gadgets, then it'd be easy enough to make an Audio Unit version. Alas, Wotja is much more complex than that however: as I'm sure you're aware, being one of our long-standing customers.

I know that this won't be what you want to hear, but I'd rather be clear about this with our customers.

All I can say is - thank goodness for AudioBus and Ableton Link!

With best wishes,

Pete

• edited January 2020

If you're interested in Wotja 20, please take a look at the Wotja 20 Thread (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36679/wotja-20)!

Pete

• Wotja 21.7.0 is out now - the new thread is here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45071/wotja-21-mega-update

Best wishes,

Pete