Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Making it all work together (AB3, AU, IAA, Link, midi/IAA sync)

Hi All,

I’ve been struggling with building my live rig back up again since I’ve moved to iOS 11 and AB3.

I’m starting this thread as a place for info regarding the above IOS elements (AB3, AU, IAA, Link, midi/IAA sync).

It seems t me that we have a IAA phase out and AU expansion which seems to be a good thing for users and developers alike. Since we’re yet again in transition it can be quite a painful experience involving loss, fear or the unknown, learning curves etc.

I’m finding myself bang in the middle of those technologies and often get bright ideas only to find out that they won’t work in practice due to limitations specific to those technologies.

This morning I tried to insert replicant into an AB3 effect slot only to find out it won’t listen to Loopy’s clock. I looked to point MIDI clock from Circuit but Replicant doesn’t appear as a midi destination.

So I tried frekvens as a AU effect. I had some midi mapped in standalone. Same thing, tried to point my controller at it but can’t find it in destinations and mapped controls aren’t retained in AU.

I’m hoping ones in the know can give us an explanation in some categorical way so we don’t wander in the dark followed by IAA zombies etc.

Many thanks.

Comments

• I think by now it's pretty safe to say that MIDI Clock between apps is not an avenue you want to take. It's vastly inferior to Link in terms of accuracy and stability - and more often than not it's not even implemented at all.

• Maybe AUM is a 'better' solution under iOS11?
    I know it's like swearing in a church but AUM is my go-to host for AUv3...

• @brambos said:
    I think by now it's pretty safe to say that MIDI Clock between apps is not an avenue you want to take. It's vastly inferior to Link in terms of accuracy and stability - and more often than not it's not even implemented at all.

Yes I am absolutely with you on this but other forms of sync provide the ability to instant stop all of the connected apps. Link doesn’t. Even with the work around of having Audiobus controlling Link it still doesn’t allow to map the stop to a midi controller so live is an absolute no no.

• @Samu said:
    Maybe AUM is a 'better' solution under iOS11?

Funny you should say that. I’m not an Audiobus purist, in fact I use both but somehow when I use the same set up in AUM only i end up with latency crackles.

• Didn’t I read that there’s a LINK update coming with Transport controls?

• what are the option with link to sync external gear? nil, as far as i can tell. link isn't a sub for midi clock. MIDI Link Sync works pretty well tho. do you use the clock from your circuit? i'd thought that would probably have a high amount of jitter. as far as iaa zombies go, i never get them. i always close the host then the standalones and check the midi in something like animoog. never anything there. i find au's to have more bugs than standalones. what's with the buffer in m15 about? just loaded up addictive pro and there's no presets! yep, tis a pain setting stuff up, but that's always been the case with hardware. what's latency compensation people are using with external gear. seems to be 15ms, but i'm not sure

• @supadom said:

@Samu said:

Funny you should say that. I’m not an Audiobus purist, in fact I use both but somehow when I use the same set up in AUM only i end up with latency crackles.

What’s your buffer size set to in AUM? You might need to increase it.

• @mrcanister I can see the presets in Addictive Pro AU in AUM.

• @rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Here come compromises ;)
    I’m reluctant to work with less then 128 frames.

• as a au in bm3 and cubasis. nothing there! probably need to reinstall it.

• @supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Here come compromises ;)

I’d at least try 256 and see if your latency crackles go away. This is on your new 12.9”? Is it running the latest IOS?

• @gusgranite said:
    @mrcanister I can see the presets in Addictive Pro AU in AUM.

So it seems different apps manage AU differently.

@BiancaNeve said:
    Didn’t I read that there’s a LINK update coming with Transport controls?

Yes at some point in 2018. More waiting though. It would be so much easier if AB3 had midi learn for transport controls so I could just slave everything to that. @Michael

@Samu I’ve just tried to do it all in AUM again and in no way I can manage to slave Loopy to AUM. I’ve given up on that one.

• @rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Here come compromises ;)

I’d at least try 256 and see if your latency crackles go away. This is on your new 12.9”? Is it running the latest IOS?

No, my pro 10.5 is not here yet. I’ll give it another go later on. My issue is that Loopy is my main looper but seems like it couldn’t be less compatible with AUM. Yes Link solves everything but not everyone wants to wait until the beginning of the bar for the app to start or stop.

• @supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Here come compromises ;)

No, my pro 10.5 is not here yet. I’ll give it another go later on. My issue is that Loopy is my main looper but seems like it couldn’t be less compatible with AUM. Yes Link solves everything but not everyone wants to wait until the beginning of the bar for the app to start or stop.

So you looking for transport controls for your looper? Have you looked into control overlays like MIDI Designer? I don’t have any experience with them but it might meet your needs.

• @supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Here come compromises ;)

Ah, ok. So you are on your air 2? That makes sense why you get the latency and crackling you mentioned at a lower buffer size. You will be in great shape once you get your Pro.

• @rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Here come compromises ;)

Ah, ok. So you are on your air 2? That makes sense why you get the latency and crackling you mentioned at a lower buffer size. You will be in great shape once you get your Pro.

The thing is that AB3 with that combination of apps gives me no trouble at that latency setting.

The moment new version of Link hits the scene I’ll be good but what if Audiobus transport midi mapping comes first. Wait a minute, maybe Loopy Pro we’ll get here sooner! Whatever it is....more waiting

• @gusgranite said:

@supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@rezidue said:

@supadom said:

@Samu said:

Here come compromises ;)

So you looking for transport controls for your looper? Have you looked into control overlays like MIDI Designer? I don’t have any experience with them but it might meet your needs.

What’s stopping me from using those is the need for running an extra app to already quite a crowded place. Also if it isn’t AB3 compatible it would be another app to have to start and set up and yet another thing to potentially go wrong when playing live. I’m trying to keep it as streamlined as possible. I’ll check it out though. Thanks

• edited December 2017

Link sucks! (Heresy I know... :p )

https://github.com/michaeltyson/TheSpectacularSyncEngine

I wish this gained more traction and was more widely adopted because it seems to work wonders in Loopy for solid MIDI sync to external sources.
    Hoping Loopy Pro Extreme Ultimate Master Edition retains the great MIDI sync/clever anti-jitter magic when it arrives.

• edited December 2017

That's Loopy Pro Extreme Ultimate Master Edition Pro 3, to you