Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 update, now with AU midi input and it's awesome

Tested it with Rozeta bassline and it worked flawlessly. This is amazing!

Comments

• Yes, it is awesome. @mathieugarcia did an amazing job.

• Oooh. This could be the nudge I need to tempt me back into the labyrinthine UI of BM3...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    @brambos any chance of some new 'templates'? for note mapping to 0,1,2,3 etc ?

Yes, already done. Will be in the next update :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Can someone explain, to a mere mortal, what AU midi does? Thanks then...

• @JangoMango said:
    Can someone explain, to a mere mortal, what AU midi does? Thanks then...

They are AU plugins that don't generate sound, but MIDI. This MIDI stream can then be sent to other instruments which use it to generate sound. So this will let you add e.g. a step sequencer into AUM or Beatmaker 3, apps which don't come with such a sequencer themselves. Or it will add an arpeggiator to any synth you like. Etc.

• wow... mind blowing possibilities.. thank you sir...

• @MonzoPro said:
    Oooh. This could be the nudge I need to tempt me back into the labyrinthine UI of BM3...

Yes, this update does make things more clearer..

Hopefully midi export will come soon..
    And export as Ableton project file..
    And recording scene mode..
    And more videos.
    And, ok well..

• @RajahP said:

Yes

I hope not. I don't use Ableton and i don't see the point in an iOS DAW supporting export to one single desktop DAW at all. Midi and stems should be enough. Anything else is a waste of developer resources that could be spent elsewhere

Yes

• @jn2002dk said:

@RajahP said:

Yes

I hope not. I don't use Ableton and i don't see the point in an iOS DAW supporting export to one single desktop DAW at all. Midi and stems should be enough. Anything else is a waste of developer resources that could be spent elsewhere

Yes

Well, I wanted to post, ‘Export to Maschine project file’, but I though that might be pushing it, so, Ableton project file is already an established export format (Beathawk does it well)::
    But I won’t mind getting those scenes exported to Maschine ‘groups’ ... will be nice with Maschine’s Audio update later this month...

• edited December 2017

@RajahP said:

@jn2002dk said:

@RajahP said:

Yes

Yes

Well, I wanted to post, ‘Export to Maschine project file’, but I though that might be pushing it, so, Ableton project file is already an established export format (Beathawk does it well)::
    But I won’t mind getting those scenes exported to Maschine ‘groups’ ... will be nice with Maschine’s Audio update later this month...

Audio update what's that? Is that for the desktop, or iMaschine? Update - no need, just checked this out on the web.

I'd love to see apps supporting export to Maschine - feel a bit left out sometimes with all this love for Ableton.

• @brambos said:

@JangoMango said:

They are AU plugins that don't generate sound, but MIDI. This MIDI stream can then be sent to other instruments which use it to generate sound. So this will let you add e.g. a step sequencer into AUM or Beatmaker 3, apps which don't come with such a sequencer themselves. Or it will add an arpeggiator to any synth you like. Etc.

NEED VIDEO LEARNING FOR THE SLOW SELF NURSE!

• @MonzoPro said:
    Oooh. This could be the nudge I need to tempt me back into the labyrinthine UI of BM3...

This month’s sermon...

I recall a moment, around september, where I was layed back on the couch after having taken a few days off of ‘learning BM3’ and found myself simply using it, no longer hitting buttons to find myself in seemingly random places but actually going where I want and doing what I intended. It was magical and not as far off or impossible as it initialy seemed.

For a while I have been telling myself, OK I will do little sketches and then finish them on PC, (the usual racket). But now the sketches are simply getting deeper and deeper with my PC daw so far acting only as an occassional sound module for sampling into BM3. To think of what a two or three hour ‘sketch’ will sound like in a year from now keeps me completely hooked on this magical app.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@brambos said:

@JangoMango said:

Our old friend 5pinlink has made a couple of really useful ones for you:

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5868/using-au-midi-videos-11-12-17

• @brambos said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@brambos said:

@JangoMango said:

Grazie. Perfect Monday morning displacement activity.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

I recall a moment, around september, where I was layed back on the couch after having taken a few days off of ‘learning BM3’ and found myself simply using it, no longer hitting buttons to find myself in seemingly random places but actually going where I want and doing what I intended. It was magical and not as far off or impossible as it initialy seemed.

For a while I have been telling myself, OK I will do little sketches and then finish them on PC, (the usual racket). But now the sketches are simply getting deeper and deeper with my PC daw so far acting only as an occassional sound module for sampling into BM3. To think of what a two or three hour ‘sketch’ will sound like in a year from now keeps me completely hooked on this magical app.

I loved it when I first bought it, but I can't dedicate myself to one app, or even platform - as I'm bouncing about from AU AUM jams to Maschine on the desktop and then off to Gadget and a bit of Chinese Garageband noodling, a bit of live guitar recorded into Logic and a distraction when Egoist gets an update.

I'm all over the place musically (when I get time to do it), so each time I come back to BM3 I have to find out where everything is all over again. With other apps (Gadget, Auria, Egoist etc.) it's all very straightforward, but BM3 does it's own thing.

However, I've tagged it as a 'very special thing' and know at some point I'll knuckle down and have a good old, proper time with it. Funnily enouogh it was the Brambos AU's that distracted me last time - and relaunched my AUM/Gadget love affair. Now BM3 has AU support, I may be flipping back sooner than I think.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

I loved it when I first bought it, but I can't dedicate myself to one app, or even platform - as I'm bouncing about from AU AUM jams to Maschine on the desktop and then off to Gadget and a bit of Chinese Garageband noodling, a bit of live guitar recorded into Logic and a distraction when Egoist gets an update.

I'm all over the place musically (when I get time to do it), so each time I come back to BM3 I have to find out where everything is all over again. With other apps (Gadget, Auria, Egoist etc.) it's all very straightforward, but BM3 does it's own thing.

However, I've tagged it as a 'very special thing' and know at some point I'll knuckle down and have a good old, proper time with it. Funnily enouogh it was the Brambos AU's that distracted me last time - and relaunched my AUM/Gadget love affair. Now BM3 has AU support, I may be flipping back sooner than I think.

Exactly. I keep thinking if I was only back in Maine and snowed-in for a few days, especially, say, if there was no beer in the house to befuddle me, then THEN I'd learn her....ah well.....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

Exactly. I keep thinking if I was only back in Maine and snowed-in for a few days, especially, say, if there was no beer in the house to befuddle me, then THEN I'd learn her....ah well.....

I’ll be learning it tonight Boss, no distractions here....if you discount doing my accounts and tax stuff that has to be in by the end of the week...

• @MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

I am all over the place too musically (Egoist/TC-11/Circuit/Omnisphere/Massive/Nord/Kaoss pad, live guitar (played with metal ruler of course) etc ) but now I simply use BM3 as the main hub for capturing and combining it all, which actually helps these disparate fragments to coalesce into greater sums of their parts (woowoo). This way, having it under one super powerful mobile sampler/groovebox/daw roof, if I even have twenty minutes I now have access to everything without any file transfering, setup or booting etc. Now I feel like I simply never stop making music and all these experiments can play in a fluid stream of consciousness. It just trickles in and builds up throughout the day / week and doesn't feel compromised to me like it used to on iOS. Now I just think about music and mood and not feel beholden to process.

For me BM3, beng a sampler/daw/groovebox, it is all about what you feed it. Once I built up a library of sounds that were personal to me and not just the shiny AU synths and commercial libraries (which are nice) it was really that light bulb moment. Sure, learning the UI was big but making it personal, even bigger. Right now I am on the train, playing with a Rozzeta rythm into iMachine samples in BM3, with two Rozetta basslines feeding two Zeeons with electric guitar from twelve years ago, Absynth from who knows when and vocal fx through a Kaoss pad from around six or eight years ago. Later tonight I might lay on the couch and feed the midi out to my laptop for Massive or Omnisphere overdubs that I record into BM3 which I can then again process/chop etc on the train tomorrow or I will just dig through the archive of old wav file recordings for hidden gems.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

I am all over the place too musically (Egoist/TC-11/Circuit/Omnisphere/Massive/Nord/Kaoss pad, live guitar (played with metal ruler of course) etc ) but now I simply use BM3 as the main hub for capturing and combining it all, which actually helps these disparate fragments to coalesce into greater sums of their parts (woowoo). This way, having it under one super powerful mobile sampler/groovebox/daw roof, if I even have twenty minutes I now have access to everything without any file transfering, setup or booting etc. Now I feel like I simply never stop making music and all these experiments can play in a fluid stream of consciousness. It just trickles in and builds up throughout the day / week and doesn't feel compromised to me like it used to on iOS. Now I just think about music and mood and not feel beholden to process.

For me BM3, beng a sampler/daw/groovebox, it is all about what you feed it. Once I built up a library of sounds that were personal to me and not just the shiny AU synths and commercial libraries (which are nice) it was really that light bulb moment. Sure, learning the UI was big but making it personal, even bigger. Right now I am on the train, playing with a Rozzeta rythm into iMachine samples in BM3, with two Rozetta basslines feeding two Zeeons with electric guitar from twelve years ago, Absynth from who knows when and vocal fx through a Kaoss pad from around six or eight years ago. Later tonight I might lay on the couch and feed the midi out to my laptop for Massive or Omnisphere overdubs that I record into BM3 which I can then again process/chop etc on the train tomorrow or I will just dig through the archive of old wav file recordings for hidden gems.

Ok boss you convinced me. Sounds like we’re doing similar things, so if BM3 is working as a serious ‘hub’ for all your activities, then it might do the same for me.

If the Store deems to provide me with the latest BM3 update I’ll load him up and do some serious, refamiliayrisation tonight.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

Ok boss you convinced me. Sounds like we’re doing similar things, so if BM3 is working as a serious ‘hub’ for all your activities, then it might do the same for me.

If the Store deems to provide me with the latest BM3 update I’ll load him up and do some serious, refamiliayrisation tonight.

Cool man. My advice (and this is purely a 'me thing') ignore the Scene Editor (stick to patterns and songs) and skip audio tracks. Audio likes to live as slices on pads. :)

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

Cool man. My advice (and this is purely a 'me thing') ignore the Scene Editor (stick to patterns and songs) and skip audio tracks. Audio likes to live as slices on pads. :)

Yeah I haven’t used those anyway.

Finally got the update, so will give it a spin with the Brambos troupe.

• Jeez, I’m gettin inspired over here! I’ll admit I’ve had some off putting moments with early BM3 that made me shelve it, but it was with the full faith that this diamond in the rough would soon emerge as the powerhouse that it is indeed becoming. Def have to give the update a spin!

• @brambos said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@brambos said:

@JangoMango said:

I’ve tried the Rhythm one, and it just triggers one pad - I had the same thing previously trying to trigger BM3 from AUM.

I’d appreciate some step by step instructions - it’s ridiculously hard trying to follow the video on YouTube/Safari now.

• edited December 2017

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

This month’s sermon...

After an hour of fiddling I realise I actually hate it now. Trying to follow lightning speed (why?) video tutorials on a browser that autoplays when I nip over to BM3, so I lose my place, and the worlds worst UI (YouTube) which makes finding the place I was at in the video hellish....and trying to find my way around the second worst UI (BM3)....

I’ve had to stop, as I was in danger of throwing the iPad across the room and then stamping on it.

They’ve broken YouTube so it’s now unusable on an iPad, and the BM3 menu system is akin to a tossed plate of spaghetti.

Welcome to 2017 boys and girls.

• edited December 2017

I've gotten back into BM3 a little since now it has midi AU and it feels a lot better this time around. I'm hoping for Live export next.

@MonzoPro Try a setup like this below. Make sure to set the pads in Rozeta to the pad number in BM3 eg 0-7 and set the bank midi settings to the Rozetta port. Also check the correct midi channel. I think Rhythm defaults to channel 10 :)

• @Carnbot said:
    I've gotten back into BM3 a little since now it has midi AU and it feels a lot better this time around. I'm hoping for Live export next.

@MonzoPro Try a setup like this below. Make sure to set the pads in Rozeta to the pad number in BM3 eg 0-7 and set the bank midi settings to the Rozetta port.

Thanks, yeah I did that, and just tried again. Still just triggering one pad.

• @MonzoPro said:

Hmmm, other things to check is there's no Focus actions set and that "all midi to selected pad" is off in settings...

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Hmmm, other things to check is there's no Focus actions set and that "all midi to selected pad" is off in settings...

Could do with some step by step guides for this stuff, there are so many options in BM3 it’s a nightmare for the uninitiated.

Think I’m going to leave this for a few months, again.