IDAM got a fix!

the latest mac os update had a fix for usb audio and the result is that IDAM now works absolutely flawlessly for me. it used to start to pop and crackle in under 10 mins but now i have tested for many hours and it worked beautifully! this is absolutely huge for me, if you had troubles maybe giver another shot. maybe the update helped out studiomux too?

Comments

  • @wellingtonCres said:
    the latest mac os update had a fix for usb audio and the result is that IDAM now works absolutely flawlessly for me. it used to start to pop and crackle in under 10 mins but now i have tested for many hours and it worked beautifully! this is absolutely huge for me, if you had troubles maybe giver another shot. maybe the update helped out studiomux too?

    Excellent! Any improvement in latency? I’m still on El Capitan (not having any pop/crackle issues), and hesitant about updating to High Sierra for other reasons.

    And I’ve only just begun to test IDAM, but it seems like latency may be a little worse compared to working with Studiomux. Also, there seems to be an issue where latency gets worse over time or if you leave the IDAM stream dormant for some time.

    (Still haven’t done extensive testing on any of this, so there could be other factors involved like the particular iOS apps I’m using. I also have updated to the very latest iOS (11.2) yet. )

  • i have not imeasured latency yet, but i can say that the second issue, going wonky after an idle period, seems to be gone.

    early indications are that studiomux is also stable, but i am not sure it offers enough to take my attention away from idam

  • Is IDAM for iOS 11 only?

  • @Lady_App_titude said:
    I’m still on El Capitan (not having any pop/crackle issues), and hesitant about updating to High Sierra for other reasons.

    So does idam work on El Capitan??

  • yes it does

  • @Hmtx said:

    @Lady_App_titude said:
    I’m still on El Capitan (not having any pop/crackle issues), and hesitant about updating to High Sierra for other reasons.

    So does idam work on El Capitan??

    I’ve done fairly extensive testing lately with both IDAM and the latest Studiomux update under El Capitan. There is definitely a creeping latency problem (increased latency over time) with both. It shows up sooner in IDAM and is barely a problem with Studiomux ( like two hours before I begin to notice it; but with IDAM it’s noticeable after like an hour). In both cases, rebooting the iPad app fixes the problem.

    Both methods are quite usable, but currently I think Studiomux is the more reliable option. I hope to update to High Sierra soon (where they say the creeping latency problem is gone).

  • Here’s the info on IDAM, first from WWDC 2015, then the 2017 addition of MIDI (which is 16 channels, bi-directional)


  • I'm having problems with keeping a consistent IDAM connection. I'm running a 1st Gen iPad pro 9.7 and a MBP with the latest iOS an osx versions.
    I have created an aggregate device (iPad+Apogee Duet) and using it as the audio device in Cubase Pro 9.5.

    Midi is sent from a midi track in Cubase to whichever iOS instrument I have active on the iPad, no problem. But even with iPad audio input active in Cubase and selected as the audio track input, audio is not routed to the track. With the exact same setup I have got it to work once or twice, after which the connection seems to have been lost when I changed instrument apps on the iPad. Once I managed to recover the routing/connection by disconnecting the iPad, closing all audio apps and setting the aggregate device etc and routings in Cubase from scratch. After that, the same sequence did not work anymore.

    Is anyone else experiencing any inconsistency when using IDAM, aggregate device and Cubase Pro? From what I have read, IDAM seems to be working rock solid. I wonder what I am doing to have it sometimes work and sometimes not? Any help is much appreciated!

  • gosnote> @gosnote said:

    I'm having problems with keeping a consistent IDAM connection. I'm running a 1st Gen iPad pro 9.7 and a MBP with the latest iOS an osx versions.
    I have created an aggregate device (iPad+Apogee Duet) and using it as the audio device in Cubase Pro 9.5.

    Midi is sent from a midi track in Cubase to whichever iOS instrument I have active on the iPad, no problem. But even with iPad audio input active in Cubase and selected as the audio track input, audio is not routed to the track. With the exact same setup I have got it to work once or twice, after which the connection seems to have been lost when I changed instrument apps on the iPad. Once I managed to recover the routing/connection by disconnecting the iPad, closing all audio apps and setting the aggregate device etc and routings in Cubase from scratch. After that, the same sequence did not work anymore.

    Is anyone else experiencing any inconsistency when using IDAM, aggregate device and Cubase Pro? From what I have read, IDAM seems to be working rock solid. I wonder what I am doing to have it sometimes work and sometimes not? Any help is much appreciated!

    I’m brining this thread back alive as I can’t find any help on the internet. I have the same problem as you gosnote and can’t figure it out! You’re the only person on the whole internet who seems to be having the same problem as me. I can sometimes get a synth working but if I change to another synth it’s game over, no audio at all but like you midi is sent both ways still.

  • The connection should hold - make sure when you switch apps the 2nd app uses same clock domain and sample rate as the 1st. aggregate devices won’t work unless all their devices have the same sample rate and clock domain, so perhaps the app switch is the culprit here.

  • I'm having the same issue as well. It was working sporadically now it's not working at all.

Sign In or Register to comment.