Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ElasticFX (from Elastic Drums Developer)

Comments

• @JudgeDredd said:

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:
    Looks like a poor mans’ Turnado...

Nah. It’s on a par. Pros and cons for both. While it lacks the depth of Turnado’s editing controls, it makes up for it in playability and low CPU footprint. Sounds better too if you fiddle with the EQ and levels.

Damn it, damn it damn it damn it.... I was wanting you to say just the opposite. Now I have to go get it... Yes @MonzoPro I was waiting for your opinion. Well, the grand-kids really didn't need gifts this year and now its all on you my friend. :)

You’ll love it - enjoy! Don’t forget to check Doug’s vid first though.

• @MonzoPro said:

You’ll love it - enjoy! Don’t forget to check Doug’s vid first though.

No doubt, I always try and use Doug's links because they are "absolutely brilliant".

• @soundklinik said:

Was kind of thinking the same. Didn't see anything in the videos so far that inspired me at all. Maybe some of these early adopters can make their own videos or tracks showing it off a bit? I love Elastic Drums though. Will stay on the fence... looks nice, but kind of redundant with what I already have. And I'm a fan of Turnado.. especially automated in Auria Pro.

• edited December 2017

So what's the method here? You load an audio file or use audiobus and then you can record fx automation?

• @magnum38 said:
    Hi guys, you already know Elastic FX is out now !!!

Here are all 3 existing video:

EFX is a 4 channel multi-effects processor that’s easy and intuitive to play, but also offers complex options to shape your sound and route the audio effects stream.

It's for iPad only yet, but I already started with iPhone version. And it will be universal, so one price for all your devices.

It supports Inter-App Audio, Audiobus and Ableton Link BUT NOT AUv3.

There are 2 reasons for no AUv3 support yet:
    a) design reason: The app is created with people in mind (like myself), who use one input app (or even hardware) and one effect app
    b) technical reason: We use PureData for the audio engine and PureData is not ready yet for multi instances, which is needed for AUv3

So AUv3 support might come in the future, but it won't be the near future, to be realistic.

I hope you enjoy the app apart from this.

Cheers,
    Oli

Thanks for clarifying. I hadn’t heard of PureData

• @db909 said:
    So what's the method here? You load an audio file or use audiobus and then you can record fx automation?

Yeah with Audiobus and Link Enabled sync should work, or with IAA it should also work, like in this video:

• Love this FX app! great work!! Works like a dream in iMPCPro....

• @MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

Nah. It’s on a par. Pros and cons for both. While it lacks the depth of Turnado’s editing controls, it makes up for it in playability and low CPU footprint. Sounds better too if you fiddle with the EQ and levels.

Yeah, you’re right, lol, Turnado has only 8 FX per scene, master random, Dictator, wet and dry, each fx can be tweaked and saved with a lot of resets per FX.
    In case you forgot how it looks like:

• @robosardine said:
    When is it going universal?- the App Store is asking me to pay again for my second iPad

The little cloud is showing now- instead of a cash request. Downloaded for the second time- no problems.

• @soundklinik said:

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

Yeah, you’re right, lol, Turnado has only 8 FX per scene, master random, Dictator, wet and dry, each fx can be tweaked and saved with a lot of resets per FX.

Not playing.

• @robosardine said:
    When is it going universal?- the App Store is asking me to pay again for my second iPad

Shouldn't do if other iPad is on the same account

• @soundklinik said:

I'm getting it shortly. I'll defo give it a good spin before the final verdict ;)

• Would be a real shame if the developer were to, further adopt this Kaoss pad style automation recording into a versatile note sequencer of the same cloth to rival the virtually abandoned ikaossilator. (It wouldn't). I mean just look at those pretty dots recording your touches.

• @Michael said:

@realdavidai said:

Any possibilities for MIDI AU in Audiobus?

Most def. Very high up on my todo list

HUZZAH. AB's separate MIDI and Audio tabs is what I dream about when I have 5+ rozeta instances pointed at 5+ instruments in AUM!

• @db909 said:

Yes- just press the record button and then move your finger on the pad. It will then copy your movements over four beats- and the dot on the pad will continue to show your movements. It keeps exact time too- unlike the Korg KP3s.
    It also has mastering via compression levels and EQ- along with a master ‘stutter’ effect- though these can’t be automated. No one who gets this won’t like it...... I’m pretty sure you will. It goes great with iKaossilater for rapid groove creation enhancement. :)

• Congrats on the release @magnum38! Looks and sounds great. "Washed out trendy fabric shoegaze ambience" actually made me laugh out loud.

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

Yeah, from Doug's demo anyway, the individual effects sound better to my ears than Turnado's individual effects. Like, the phaser or the reverb alone, without layering or XY tweaking, sound quite good to my ears.

I'm gonna buy it anyway but I'm a little confused by the beginning of the app description:

EFX is a 4 channel multi-effects processor

Is it a stereo effects processor with 4 effect processors (and configurable routing between them) or can you actually run 4 discreet channels of audio through it?

• edited December 2017

@syrupcore said:
    Congrats on the release @magnum38! Looks and sounds great. "Washed out trendy fabric shoegaze ambience" actually made me laugh out loud.

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

Yeah, from Doug's demo anyway, the individual effects sound better to my ears than Turnado's individual effects. Like, the phaser or the reverb alone, without layering or XY tweaking, sound quite good to my ears.

I'm gonna buy it anyway but I'm a little confused by the beginning of the app description:

Is it a stereo effects processor with 4 effect processors (and configurable routing between them) or can you actually run 4 discreet channels of audio through it?

The first one, though there’s EQ and compression on the master out, so you’ve got up to six things going. I run it in AUM anyway, so I bus a few channels into it.

Sounds fatter and smoother than Turnado to my ears, so definitely worth having even if you’ve got that one. I’m going to run them both later and blow my hat off.

• I know I absolutely don't need this one at all. Am completely flush with so many apps that I often forget some of my favorites until I see an update.

However, I really like how this developer has kept up with Elastic Drums, and I like the interface decisions. Not droppin' the buy button just yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually add this to my ridiculously bloated and mostly unused arsenal. lol ;)

• @robosardine said:

@db909 said:

Yes- just press the record button and then move your finger on the pad. It will then copy your movements over four beats- and the dot on the pad will continue to show your movements. It keeps exact time too- unlike the Korg KP3s.
    It also has mastering via compression levels and EQ- along with a master ‘stutter’ effect- though these can’t be automated. No one who gets this won’t like it...... I’m pretty sure you will. It goes great with iKaossilater for rapid groove creation enhancement. :)

Yeah! You read my mind. Will definitely be doing that a lot once it goes universal

• edited December 2017

I have to second @syrupcore’s assertion that the individual effects sound very good. In fact in distortion/bit crush/ringmod department they are actually better imo. They are super musical and definitely inspire. Definitely prime stuff to smudge over basses and drums. I quite like phaser here too.

It clearly follows the Kaoss pad trend. Talking of Kaoss Pad I have recently started looking up close at Kaoss Pad Quad and found that basically Elephant Candy’s LiveFX is a straight rip off of that unit. Quite amazed they’ve gotten away with it.

So Elastic Effects definitely follows that trend. Despite all of the above Turnado I think still sounds better on the whole, especially in the looper/beat repeat/pitch department. It also has a formidable LFO section and of course the mighty Dictator.

One choice I don’t quite understand @magnum38 is the omission of any other sync than Link. I know, I know AU and Link are the future etc but many of us still work with some older apps that don’t provide that functionality or simply refuse to use Link until it gets a global stop (that’s me).

To sum up I think it is a great multieffect unit. Definitely worth getting. Just please, please add other types of sync (should be easy enough to transplant from Elastic Drums as when synced this app shines. Not a Turnado killer but they definitely compliment each other well so why not use both? Since neither are AU ;)

Congrats on the launch!

Off to try it on vocals.

• edited December 2017

@soundklinik said:

>

So far, I prefer it to Turnado, which has always been fiddly. Much easier to get something going with this app. The EQ and levels, as Mr Monzo says, give it an edge.

• @MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

Not playing.

Bravissimo.

• @supadom said:
    I have to second @syrupcore’s assertion that the individual effects sound very good. In fact in distortion/bit crush/ringmod department they are actually better imo. They are super musical and definitely inspire. Definitely prime stuff to smudge over basses and drums. I quite like phaser here too.

It clearly follows the Kaoss pad trend. Talking of Kaoss Pad I have recently started looking up close at Kaoss Pad Quad and found that basically Elephant Candy’s LiveFX is a straight rip off of that unit. Quite amazed they’ve gotten away with it.

So Elastic Effects definitely follows that trend. Despite all of the above Turnado I think still sounds better on the whole, especially in the looper/beat repeat/pitch department. It also has a formidable LFO section and of course the mighty Dictator.

One choice I don’t quite understand @magnum38 is the omission of any other sync than Link. I know, I know AU and Link are the future etc but many of us still work with some older apps that don’t provide that functionality or simply refuse to use Link until it gets a global stop (that’s me).

To sum up I think it is a great multieffect unit. Definitely worth getting. Just please, please add other types of sync (should be easy enough to transplant from Elastic Drums as when synced this app shines. Not a Turnado killer but they definitely compliment each other well so why not use both? Since neither are AU ;)

Congrats on the launch!

Off to try it on vocals.

Live FX does seem to be very heavily influenced by the Kaoss Pad Quad- but just in case anyone is considering it for this reason- it is absolutely and categorically nowhere near as good. Not even close........... different planets.......

• @robosardine said:

@supadom said:

Congrats on the launch!

Off to try it on vocals.

Live FX does seem to be very heavily influenced by the Kaoss Pad Quad- but just in case anyone is considering it for this reason- it is absolutely and categorically nowhere near as good. Not even close........... different planets.......

Especially since the appearance of FluxFx it has been abandoned/defunct/dead and everything in between.

• edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:
    Congrats on the release @magnum38! Looks and sounds great. "Washed out trendy fabric shoegaze ambience" actually made me laugh out loud.

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

The first one, though there’s EQ and compression on the master out, so you’ve got up to six things going. I run it in AUM anyway, so I bus a few channels into it.

Sounds fatter and smoother than Turnado to my ears, so definitely worth having even if you’ve got that one. I’m going to run them both later and blow my hat off.

How about a video?! I know you've got iOS11 now. It's super easy now. Make a video to show it off please. :)

• edited December 2017

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

How about a video?! I know you've got iOS11 now. It's super easy now. Make a video to show it off please. :)

I don’t really know how to do them. Doug’s vid did it for me though. I’d put you off.

The USP for me with this one (aside from ease of use and low CPU strain), is the Levels section.

Some FX can really degrade the depth of the wet audio, making it thin and weedy. By tweaking the EQ, compression, and wet/dry tones you can put back depth into the signal, and remove any wayward frequencies (from pitch shifting, for example).

I love Turnado, it’s one of my all time favourite apps, but there’s a definite place in the toolbox for this lad too.

• edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

@MonzoPro said:

@soundklinik said:

I don’t really know how to do them. Doug’s vid did it for me though. I’d put you off.

The USP for me with this one (aside from ease of use and low CPU strain), is the Levels section.

Some FX can really degrade the depth of the wet audio, making it thin and weedy. By tweaking the EQ, compression, and wet/dry tones you can put back depth into the signal, and remove any wayward frequencies (from pitch shifting, for example).

I love Turnado, it’s one of my all time favourite apps, but there’s a definite place in the toolbox for this lad too.

Just giving you a hard time about the video, since you're always asking for them ;) But, they're actually stupid easy to do now in iOS11. Just flip up to see the controls, hit the red circle record button, then do whatever you want and it'll record the screen for as long as you want. Then just trim off the beginning and ends of the video where you were activating record and deactivating. You don't even have to load it into an editor for the trim... you can just trim and resave right inside the camera roll.

Had another quick play with Turnado. I like the sound of Turnado very much, and with recording the automation in Auria Pro being as easy to do as this one... it's a hard sell for me. However, I DO like it's more minimal interface a bit better than Turnado, and it'd be nice to have something handy to automate effects right inside AUM... so, I'm sure I won't make it through the weekend before adding this one too.

• edited December 2017

Also @magnum38 is there a way of assigning a cc number as opposed to midi learn? Midi learn is a nightmare when assigning to a physical x y pad as it is close to impossible to touch x without touching y as well. In case of Elastic effects I also have the issue of the app receiving on off message rather that continuous. Strange because I had it assigned to DubFilter, wow and others without any issues. Thanks

Edit. Actually I have the same issue with Wow but Filtatron and DubFilter work fine. Anyone knows what’s going on?

• @supadom said:
    Also @magnum38 is there a way of assigning a cc number as opposed to midi learn? Midi learn is a nightmare when assigning to a physical x y pad as it is close to impossible to touch x without touching y as well. In case of Elastic effects I also have the issue of the app receiving on off message rather that continuous. Strange because I had it assigned to DubFilter, wow and others without any issues. Thanks

Edit. Actually I have the same issue with Wow but Filtatron and DubFilter work fine. Anyone knows what’s going on?

If you happen to have ac sabre it's easy to send any midi cc number you want for mapping purposes. Swipe top left panel in ac sabre and press 'patch', select any of the six gestures and enter the desired midi cc number then press 'learn'. AC Sabre will transmit that cc and you can then repeat the process with a different cc to map the remaining x or y message.

• @supadom said:

No there is only midi learn. And actually you do not assign to the XY Pad itself, but to some "dummy" X, Y knobs in the Audio & Midi settings overlay