Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Dark Side

2»

Comments

• The sensible thing will be for me to pick up second hand gear as and when local opportunities appear and leave it to the hand of chance. Today ive seen a Microbrute. Awaiting a response.......

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    >
    Korg Monologue - fits perfect to your setup of Volca Keys, Volca Sample and Novation Circuit. Imho. Even more into the dark side: Roland JDXI (not part of your list, but...). Advantage: Mind blowing drum sounds, good groove sequencer and a very big sound palette.

Problem at all: When you start to "complete" your setup as we are used in the iOS world, then - ähem - this would lead to a very expensive journey.

Restriction is the most important and helpful word in the dark side.

;-)

Must resist G.A.S.

• @enc said:
    @sheffield bleep .. what sort of music do you make ? I mentioned the versatility if the sh01a .. if you make "proper" music with guitars, drums and all that sort of stuff you may find the sh01a a bit limiting. If you make the sort of music your forum name suggests it'll be right diwn your street. To give you an idea I have two tracks on the go both using multitracked sh01a sounds only. one of the songs actually has 9 tracks and counting of sounds sounds from the sh01a...

Its purely electronic stuff at the darker techno industrial drone end if that helps, hence the bright FM stuff is hard to fit without a box of effects. I love the sound of the SH101 but Im having so much fun with the real analogue of the volca keys that despite my cynicism I can now hear what people talk about - such rich fun sounds from something the size of a paperback

• @SheffieldBleep said:

@enc said:
    @sheffield bleep .. what sort of music do you make ? I mentioned the versatility if the sh01a .. if you make "proper" music with guitars, drums and all that sort of stuff you may find the sh01a a bit limiting. If you make the sort of music your forum name suggests it'll be right diwn your street. To give you an idea I have two tracks on the go both using multitracked sh01a sounds only. one of the songs actually has 9 tracks and counting of sounds sounds from the sh01a...

Its purely electronic stuff at the darker techno industrial drone end if that helps, hence the bright FM stuff is hard to fit without a box of effects. I love the sound of the SH101 but Im having so much fun with the real analogue of the volca keys that despite my cynicism I can now hear what people talk about - such rich fun sounds from something the size of a paperback

Interesting. What puts me off SH101 etc is always the suspicion that the sounds are largely Kamata like beeps and boops (technical term), rather than lushness...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

@enc said:

Interesting. What puts me off SH101 etc is always the suspicion that the sounds are largely Kamata like beeps and boops (technical term), rather than lushness...

Sure it’s capable of bleeps and bloops but it’s always struck me as a very musical synth a la Boards of Canada, early Aphex. paired with processing of course

• Check out the recent Sonicstate.com review of the SH01a before you judge it's sound.

• Or just put a CHORUS on it and play some chords.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

@enc said:

You couldn't be more wrong. It's an extremely lush synth, just listen to the older BoC stuff, it's mostly the SH-101, especially on the unreleased "old tunes" tapes. Just install the demo of https://tal-software.com/products/tal-bassline-101 be warned though, the Roland emulation is not quite as good...

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    The sensible thing will be for me to pick up second hand gear as and when local opportunities appear and leave it to the hand of chance. Today ive seen a Microbrute. Awaiting a response.......

I would object heavily to the SE-02, becauses of the teeny tiny knobs, that are not fun to operate at all. If you're willing to spend in this category, why not the Circuit Mono Station? Would go along nicely with your Circuit...

• @iOSounddesign said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    The sensible thing will be for me to pick up second hand gear as and when local opportunities appear and leave it to the hand of chance. Today ive seen a Microbrute. Awaiting a response.......

I would object heavily to the SE-02, becauses of the teeny tiny knobs, that are not fun to operate at all. If you're willing to spend in this category, why not the Circuit Mono Station? Would go along nicely with your Circuit...

I love my circuit and I love an analogue synth but somehow I find the mono station to be the platypus of the budget synth world

• @Looping_Loddar said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    I have returned to the dark side by reinvesting in some limited hardware. So far volca keys and volca sample and Novation Circuit. (...)

So - what should it be?

Korg Monologue - fits perfect to your setup of Volca Keys, Volca Sample and Novation Circuit. Imho. Even more into the dark side: Roland JDXI (not part of your list, but...). Advantage: Mind blowing drum sounds, good groove sequencer and a very big sound palette.

Problem at all: When you start to "complete" your setup as we are used in the iOS world, then - ähem - this would lead to a very expensive journey.

What helped me tremendously is admitting to myself that I suck at playing keys. So now I’m limiting myself to drummachines and very basic monosynths (mostly 303 clones) with built-in sequencers.

Right, ‘helped’. Who am I kidding?

• @brambos said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    I have returned to the dark side by reinvesting in some limited hardware. So far volca keys and volca sample and Novation Circuit. (...)

So - what should it be?

What helped me tremendously is admitting to myself that I suck at playing keys. So now I’m limiting myself to drummachines and very basic monosynths (mostly 303 clones) with built-in sequencers.

Right, ‘helped’. Who am I kidding?

I,m also of the one finger prodder variety. I love sequencers (including yours) but I’m feeling like I need to escape the step sequencing straightjacket for some variety and pad / drone action. Monologue is tempting me as it’s cheap and easy to to find. That is unless a random analogue thing on gumtree!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

ill admit the SH-01a is no SH101 ... the 01a is far more versatile. it does SH101 but it does lush brass pads etc .. sounds amazing through decent FX unit.

though im guessing lush brass sounds is not what the OP wants.

theres so much BS talked about ACB ... truth is, 95 percent of people wouldn't know the difference "in the mix" :D

• @enc said:
    so much BS talked about ACB ... truth is, 95 percent of people wouldn't know the difference "in the mix" :D

Or even 'outside the mix'. When it comes to digital emulations Roland are at the top of the game right now.

• @enc said:

ill admit the SH-01a is no SH101 ... the 01a is far more versatile. it does SH101 but it does lush brass pads etc .. sounds amazing through decent FX unit.

though im guessing lush brass sounds is not what the OP wants.

theres so much BS talked about ACB ... truth is, 95 percent of people wouldn't know the difference "in the mix" :D

No problem with lush brass. ..........I can stick it through a bit crusher ;). Lotta love here for the sh01a over n above the monologue. Admittedly it’s an extra 100. I wonder if it’s worth it. ?

• Sh01a is pretty close to the sh101, but with extras, but if you want an analogue reasonably close to the sh101, the Novation BS2 can give the original sh101 a good run.