Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any 8bit AU synths or presets?

I’ve started making some chiptune presets in Kauldron but was wondering if there is anything already out there, maybe presets or soundbanks for existing AU synths?

Comments

• Currently I know of none :(

I do know the developer behind SquareSynth was working on an AUv3 update but I've not been able to reach him in the last 3-4 months (no mail-replies, home-page is down etc.).

SidTracker 64 is another gem but it's an IAA-Generator at best and to really exploit the SID Chip a 'tracker' is needed...

I do know that 'Phosphor 2' from AudioDamage does '8-bit' when one enables the 'space invader' for the oscillators.
    https://www.audiodamage.com/collections/plugin-instruments/products/ad038-phosphor-2

• There’s Logique Analogique synth: http://logiqueanalogique.com/

• imho none of the 8bit simulators generate true 8bit grit like a Casio SK-1 or similiar ;)

• Thanks for the suggestions guys, nothing is really quite what I was looking for.

@Samu If Squaresynth was AU I’d definitely go for it. I’ve been interested in Phosphor 2 but haven’t pulled the trigger yet as it’s not universal.

If anyone were to make a simple 8bit AU synth I’d definitely buy it.

There are a few sounds in Garageband that are useful in this department, namely ‘Arcade synth’ in fx, ‘Chip tune lead’ in Alchemy leads, and ‘Arcade Frenzy’ in the Beat Sequencer.

Maybe Beathawk will come out with a chiptune soundpack?

• @Telefunky said:
    imho none of the 8bit simulators generate true 8bit grit like a Casio SK-1 or similiar ;)

True, in order to do that the 'clean' samples would need to be both bit-reduced and sample-rate reduced before they are pitch interpolated and all kinds of linear-interpolations should be banned, it's drop a sample or repeat a sample that keeps the 'bit reduction' intact when changing the pitch :)

I was actually quite surprised by Arturia CMI V, it does this properly...

• Running an AU synth through Blamsoft’s Resampler in AUM gets you close maybe?

• edited December 2017

@gusgranite said:
    Running an AU synth through Blamsoft’s Resampler in AUM gets you close maybe?

Close but not fully there, one does not get the same audible effect by passing the entire mix thru a bit & rate reducer.

Things like different pitch-interpolation algorithms affect the sound quite drastically especially when transposing samples. Linear interpolation makes things 'muddy' while no interpolation adds some over-tones and yes, it can sometimes lead to aliasing distortion that can be used creatively.

For one-shot samples & loops the 'Resamplers' work quite well but for tuneable instrument samples it's a different story. (Think of this as sampling the source at lower sample-rate and bit depth before it's played back).

• Klevgrand's ENKL should be nice in this situation!

• KQ Mini Synth? It's modular, but can sound pretty chip-tuney if needed.

• @Samu said:

I do know the developer behind SquareSynth was working on an AUv3 update but I've not been able to reach him in the last 3-4 months (no mail-replies, home-page is down etc.).

Ah that’s a shame, I was really looking forward to that one...

• @Samu said:

@gusgranite said:
    Running an AU synth through Blamsoft’s Resampler in AUM gets you close maybe?

Close but not fully there, one does not get the same audible effect by passing the entire mix thru a bit & rate reducer.

Things like different pitch-interpolation algorithms affect the sound quite drastically especially when transposing samples. Linear interpolation makes things 'muddy' while no interpolation adds some over-tones and yes, it can sometimes lead to aliasing distortion that can be used creatively.

For one-shot samples & loops the 'Resamplers' work quite well but for tuneable instrument samples it's a different story. (Think of this as sampling the source at lower sample-rate and bit depth before it's played back).

Nice one, @Samu! Thanks for the knowledge.

• What about Phasemaker?

• @Keenan said:
    What about Phasemaker?

I think it's too clean for what you're going for...

• @iOSounddesign said:

@Keenan said:
    What about Phasemaker?

I’m not necessarily going for authentic ‘8bit’, more chiptune-like sounds that would work for simple video game soundtracks.

• That hidden thing in Caustic, SFXR, makes brilliant 8bit video game sounds.
    Here's how to unlock it:

Here is a demo of the free Android standalone version (it sounds the same as the one in Caustic iOS)

• People dont know about?
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/squaresynth-chiptune-synthesizer-and-nes-simulator/id617848755?mt=8

Too bad its missing AU :/ However you could google some 8-bit soundfonts and load them to bs16 for au 8bits

• @CracklePot
    Caustic just behind Sunvox is my favorite sound module. the synths are super cool and fun. the “8Bit Synth” sounds great, and ships with tons of presets, and although Caustic isn’t AUx, it’s pretty easy to work with as IAA.

programming is via expressions

• @ToMess said:
    People dont know about?
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/squaresynth-chiptune-synthesizer-and-nes-simulator/id617848755?mt=8

Too bad its missing AU :/ However you could google some 8-bit soundfonts and load them to bs16 for au 8bits

I've been looking at that one for a while. Looks and sounds incredible. I am just waiting for an update to know it's still alive.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @CracklePot
    Caustic just behind Sunvox is my favorite sound module. the synths are super cool and fun. the “8Bit Synth” sounds great, and ships with tons of presets, and although Caustic isn’t AUx, it’s pretty easy to work with as IAA.

programming is via expressions

Great suggestions, I agree. You could always use these sounds in an AU sampler as well, if it needs to be AU.

• @Keenan said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@Keenan said:
    What about Phasemaker?

I’m not necessarily going for authentic ‘8bit’, more chiptune-like sounds that would work for simple video game soundtracks.

Gonna repeat on that ENKL suggestion I did before! :lol:
    Check @jakoB_haQ's videos:

and

• @senhorlampada I gotta watch the vids. I am in the dark with the Klevgr stuff. They use weird names, so I can never remember what any of it is or does. :)

• @senhorlampada said:

@Keenan said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@Keenan said:
    What about Phasemaker?

Gonna repeat on that ENKL suggestion I did before! :lol:
    Check @jakoB_haQ's videos:

and

Thanks will check these out! Unfortunately not universal but I’ve enjoyed Klevgränd’s apps so far. SyndtSphere is deceptively simple but I’ve managed to get some great sounds from it.

My workaround at the moment is sampling chiptune sounds into the simple GB sampler... only thought of this because of the suggestions. :D

• edited December 2017

Come to think of it, Mitosynth (Universal) is quite good for chip-tuney sounds!
    (Especially if you need to do those fast 'arpeggio type' sounds).

Here's one example patch I made some time ago...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jedjg7gc5n09zw/PularpC57.mitosynth-package?dl=0

• @Samu said:
    Come to think of it, Mitosynth (Universal) is quite good for chip-tuney sounds!
    (Especially if you need to do those fast 'arpeggio type' sounds).

Thanks Samu! Mitosynth is one that I do have. :)

• @Keenan said:

Hehe, well then let's hope it becomes an AUv3 some day ;)
    The arps are quite tedious to tune as everything needs to be done in %...

The WaveChamber can also be used for 'chip percussion'(ie. quickly switching between wave-forms, noise, square, noise, triangle etc.).

Even though MitoSynth is quite capable there's something about it's UI that doesn't inspire me to use it more :(

• @Samu said:

@Keenan said:

Hehe, well then let's hope it becomes an AUv3 some day ;)
    The arps are quite tedious to tune as everything needs to be done in %...

The WaveChamber can also be used for 'chip percussion'(ie. quickly switching between wave-forms, noise, square, noise, triangle etc.).

Even though MitoSynth is quite capable there's something about it's UI that doesn't inspire me to use it more :(

I know what you mean, I haven’t opened it in a while even though I’ve got some really great sounds in there... and it’s not that it even has an “ugly” UI, in fact it’s quite well designed.

(I will admit I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to UI... even if it sounds great, if it’s ugly I won’t want to use it very often :p )

• the really good options currently are all IAA, it’s seems-
    SquareSynth, Caustic, even the Gadgets Kingston and Kamata. (these also are all universal)
    IAA hasn’t been a problem for most hosts i’m using...

• @Littlewoodg said:
    the really good options currently are all IAA, it’s seems-
    SquareSynth, Caustic, even the Gadgets Kingston and Kamata. (these also are all universal)
    IAA hasn’t been a problem for most hosts i’m using...

Watched some of the Caustic videos and it actually looks pretty cool, although it comes across as a more fully featured workstation with a slight learning curve.

Squaresynth is probably closest to what I’m after.

I’d love to pick up Gadget synths and I know I could probably get what I’m looking for there but to be honest I haven’t bought a single Korg app because of all the IAPs they include... it’s a never ending money pit that puts me off jumping in. It’s a shame because I do like what I’ve heard.

• edited December 2017

@Keenan
    yep caustic is much more than a sound module but even as a sound module, at $10 it’s a steal. you won’t have a huge curve to surmount, picking up on it’s ways and means (i guarantee if questions come up the courteous experts around here will help with whatever)

what’s interesting about SquareSynth is that like Caustic, Gadget and Sunvox it’s multitimbral, multi-midi in so you can set up a few separate voices (5) to trigger with your midi sequencer

• Ya, Kamata is nice. The 'waveform' consist of 32 4-bit samples and all those 32 wave points can be automated and If a filter is needed that can be added as an IFX and that too can be automated...